PDA

View Full Version : nearly 2 year old's night wakings

mrsramjet
06-16-2005, 03:27 AM
hi there,

my ds sleeps on a cot mattress side carted to our mattress (except when he feeds from the left he is in between us on our mattress ;) ).
to go to sleep i lay down and he boobs to sleep about 6/10 nights. on the other nights he rolls over and then points to the pram. so i put him in and rock him for a few minutes (while i read a book with the light coming through the doorway hehe) and he's gone. so i shift him and all is well.

he has been waking more and more in the night lately to feed. in principle i don't mind, but dh is only half convinced it's ok. (he has no problems with the older ones coming in if they wake up though ...... :/ ) now it's escalating and he has started to ask to be put in the pram to be rocked , sometimes at 2am. last night i was up for over an hour doing this on top of the usual wake/feed/back to sleep in minutes ..... *yawn*

i am feeling quite comfortable about night weaning and starting to refuse to do the rocking in the pram (he sings away to himself too. it would be very cute if i wasn't so haggard) and dealing with his big feelings about this except that dh starts to get antsy (he is under pressure at work atm.). we don't have another room with no one in it or i could possibly send dh there or us (though i think ds should stay put to help the transition).

does anyone have any advice on the order to do things, whether it sounds like a good idea, how to negotiate with dh (or should i just protect his sleep first up.... sigh i just don't understand where the whole submission thing comes into stuff like this...) or anything AT ALL to say?

thanks.......

Singingmom
06-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Hi!

If you do decide to night wean, I think whether or not to include your dh would kind of depend. Would he be grouchy and resentful of the whole disruption? You said he's under stress at work and gets antsy with it. When my dh was feeling that way, I weaned my ds without his help because I just didn't think it would be worth it to involve him. He had sort of a bad attitude at the time and definitely needed his sleep. Him being awake with me probably wouldn't have helped anything and it might have added to the stress of those big feelings you mentioned. He slept with our older ds for a few nights.

On the other hand, I hear it's good to have Daddy help. Baby might not want to nurse quite so badly if you're not the one holding him. This would take a real committment from your dh, though. If he's feeling like you ought to night wean, maybe he'll be game. Find out how much he's willing to be involved. I wouldn't push, though, just based on my experience. It worked for me to do it alone walking the floors and driving around the nieghborhood for a few nights.

Have you heard of the book No Cry Sleep Solution? I haven't read it, but I've seen it recommended many times here. Maybe it would be helpful with the particulars.

:-) :hug