PDA

View Full Version : Unschooling with CM and the Moores

mzietlow
05-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Hello to all the homeschoolers! I love what I have been reading in this forum!

I have been unschooling my 5 & 3yo dds with what I consider great success, as I see learning happening all the time in everything we do. Since beginning to research homeschooling, I have been drawn again and again by the philosophy of life as a learning adventure, and in completely trusting in the Lord to lead our education.

At the same time I have also been very interested in the Charlotte Mason philosophy, and have been endeavoring to bring some of her ideas into our lifestyle. I love the idea of short lessons, living books, nature study, etc.

I also recently came across the books and website of Raymond and Dorothy Moore and LOVE their theory of delayed academics, and a balance of work/study/service. I really want to buy the Moore Formula Handboook. What I especially want to read more about is the info on how to "show what they know" or in other words, tangible ways to prove learning.

I am wondering if unschoolers here are incorporating one or more of these philosophies, and how you are going about it? CM advocates morning lessons, but we have many spontaneous short lessons throughout the day on different subjects. I am always on the lookout for a short lesson. We visit the library regularly and I choose living books based on their interests, or things I want to expose them to. We read books throughout the day, and always as part of the bedtime routine. I am planning on spending more time in nature, putting a small garden in our new yard, going to nature center programs, putting in a bird feeder. Recently we have been asking the girls to become more involved in household affairs, giving them age appropriate jobs, and teaching life skills. I am trying to find more ways we can serve others, such as baking brownies for the excavator that has been working in our yard.

I really believe in my heart that we are on a good path, but doubts do creep up on me. Of course, "am I doing the right thing?" with unschooling is always there. I go to the Lord in prayer and He always reassures me, but the time is coming to notify this fall, and to keep records. In Ohio, we have the option of testing, or a portfolio assessment by a certified teacher. Of course I am going to go the portfolio route, but I am nervous about putting it together and and keeping track of our learning. I take many photos of learning moments and projects, but have not been doing well with a practice journal. I am wondering how others unschoolers keep records?

Sooo looking forward to hearing from you kindred! :)

Chris3jam
05-03-2005, 07:09 AM
Well, we've incorporated Montessori (to make sure we have all kinds of interesting and engaging things around/to do), Moore (delayed learning, service), Holt (learning through living), Charlotte Mason (living books, reading), taking ideas out of "Jesus Didn't Use Worksheets", etc., etc. I can honestly say that we are eclectic unschoolers. :grin We use what we can find (the internet is awash with all KINDS of free stuff -- including books on-line), and we just keep learning. We take the best out of each, and apply what works in our house, and personalize/individualize/combine. Honestly, I bought all kinds of books, but with all the freebie stuff on the 'net, and at the library, you don't really have to. Moore has the rudiments on his website.

And I think that whatever works best for one family might not for another. My boys were "playing" with their phonics software until almost 10 last night -- they had started about 8-ish (after dinner). I wasn't going to interrupt them! :grin So, it just depends. Photos for records is a good idea, and keep some of their "projects". Get them those disposable cameras, so they can help. Make it like a scrapbook, and let the kids help you put it together. Maybe have "treasure" boxes for each of them. It doesn't have to be anything "official" looking -- just a sampling of what they are doing.

I have doubts, also. It's so hard for me to overcome my own conditioning. But, nobody is perfect, and we'll just keep plugging away! :D

PrincessMommie
05-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Do a search on yahoo groups as somewhere I did see an unschooling/cm group. :)

And also just a heads up...the Moore's are VERY into CIO and other punitive 'things' and literally state in some of the books I've read of theirs that babies are manipulative etc, now not that those facts will necessary reflect in their HS philosphy overall, but it would make me leary as this was a HS book of theirs I read called Home Grown Kids....and the moore formula manual (from what I've been told) is not worth the $$.

mzietlow
05-05-2005, 12:33 PM
I have read two of the Moores' books so far, Better late Than Never, and The Successful Homeschool Handbook. You may be right about their parenting/discipline views but such did not come through in the reading I did. They did seem extremely self-confident of their research and ideals as well as old-fashioned, but what I have read has been so very inspiring to me, and sensible (mostly from the latter book). Sometimes I think old fashioned has its merit.

Thanks for the heads up...and I will check yahoo for groups for those combining "methods".

PrincessMommie
05-05-2005, 12:38 PM
You may be right about their parenting/discipline views but such did not come through in the reading I did.

Great!! :)