PDA

View Full Version : Ok... he's cornering me... Proverbs 23:13 NLT

This Busy Mom
04-07-2005, 05:55 PM
My dh just showed me that the New Living Translation actually uses the word "spank" in proverbs 23:13 . How do I answer this?? This is not an argument I really want to get into.

DogwoodMama
04-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Tell him to look at the original language and do a word study. :tu It's just a translation, essentially an English interpretation.

DogwoodMama
04-07-2005, 06:00 PM
That is a horrible translation, actually. :td My dh just read it to me (he has a NLT Bible) and sarcastically commented after he read it, "Hitting someone with a stick is no different than hitting someone with a hand?"

This Busy Mom
04-07-2005, 06:26 PM
I have the strong's concordance sitting here... it doesn't make a lot of sense as shebet is mostly used to denote a tribe.

Proverbs 23:13 Withhold not correction from the child: for [if] thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

Pro 23:14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

DogwoodMama
04-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Look it up at www.blueletterbible.org too, some good info there. :)

This Busy Mom
04-07-2005, 06:38 PM
i started to... I have a cranky baby in my lap and a pinched nerve in my shoulder... I'll have to do it later.

This Busy Mom
04-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Ok.. I know where this is coming from. Our pastor :sa :sa .

CelticJourney
04-08-2005, 05:23 AM
:wow :eek :banghead And the shepard turns on his lambs.. I am so sorry.

Katydid
04-08-2005, 06:05 AM
I actually just read this very recently in my NLT Bible and was wondering the same thing :think... I was so disappointed because I really love the translation :hissyfit... so easy to read and understand. But it just goes to show you (I heard this comment recently, too) how our modern English translations, no matter how good, are just not the same as the God-inspired original text. Encourage him (and your pastor) to go back and look at the original text. And to also remember the danger of basing a whole theory of parenting on a few verses of Scripture (especially when they seem to contradict what Jesus taught us about how to treat people, cause children are people too! ;)

Joanne
04-08-2005, 06:36 AM
Don't debate spanking with him. Tell him that you will enforce age appropriate standards with your child but will do it non punitively.

Don't make the disicpline issue about spanking or not. Make it about what you *do* to discipline.

This Busy Mom
04-08-2005, 07:06 AM
Tell him that you will enforce age appropriate standards with your child but will do it non punitively.

Well, it's hard because he is ODD and he got depressed, so nothing was working... I just got really hands on and when he started raging (worst time was 2 hrs) and held him down. He's on an anti depressant (he calls it a happy pill :rolleyes that's what the nurse refered to it as and he's stuck on it) now for a month and he's been ok for 3 days. DH thinks he's just manipulating me. I've been doing more with him to help him feel loved and build up his self esteem and my dh doesn't understand. LIke: http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=911.0 This solution has worked wonderfully but my MIL wanted to know how it was punishing him... they don't understand. I now have a kid that works without me doing everything possible to do it... no arguing. I do this with his school work, too. He does it and then checks it himself. He can't argue with a book about the correct answers.

Katherine
04-08-2005, 07:39 AM
Would your dh consider the opinion of an experienced Ph.D. who is also a man?

The Explosive Child by Ross W. Greene, Ph.D. is fantastic. He has dealt with patients that have a multitude of mental and behavioral disorders and explains things in a pretty succint, organized way. He doesn't argue whether spanking and punishing is right or wrong, but presents the reasons that it has been ineffective and even destructive for the kind of kids he deals with.

AprilBr
04-08-2005, 07:48 AM
My fil is all about spanking :banghead and lets you know it. I don't believe he doesn't know we don't spank but it is going to come to that. Dh or even I do not want to confront this man...he enjoys confrontation. But I have already in my mind what to say...

Fil: But the bible says we are to spank?

Me: Is that in the Old or New Testament?

Fil: Proverbs is in the OT

Me: Well, if we are to do that, if that is the way you interpret it, then why do you eat pork, shellfish, and go to church on Sunday?

Fil: ummmmmmm

Then I will go into the original wording and see how it goes from there. There are many times I have told him some things and he said, "But that is in the Old Testament." I despise that excuse and that is all it is an excuse. Oh and not to offend those who eat pork, shellfish and go to church on Sunday's but he is really, really big on those things and those have always stuck out to me.

CelticJourney
04-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Maybe we could suggest that spanking is only allowed if stoning fools is allowed; of course, we get to choose the fools :mad.

mrsramjet
04-10-2005, 02:53 AM
Maybe we could suggest that spanking is only allowed if stoning fools is allowed; of course, we get to choose the fools :mad.

:laughtears