PDA

View Full Version : Any restless sleepers who co-sleep?

Sanveann
03-24-2005, 09:55 PM
I would like to co-sleep when we have a little one (hopefully in a year and a half or so .... ), but I am 1) a VERY deep sleeper (as in trains to do not wake me up!) and 2) I am a very restless sleeper who tends to toss and turn all night. My big concern is that I could roll over onto the little one. I have been thinking that something like the Arm's Reach co-sleeper might be a good idea for us. What do you ladies think?

LauraK
03-26-2005, 08:54 AM
I have the Mini Arm's reach cosleeper and it has not worked very well for us. I sort of think it was a waste of money as my daughter never really liked to sleep in it but always needed to be right next to me to sleep. Mostly I used ours for diaper changes in the night and it served as sort of a barrier so I did not worry as much about my little one falling off.

If you have room I would side car a crib instead as then the crib can have more uses. Also, then if cosleeping is not working for you, you can have a crib for the baby to sleep in. Just my 2 cents. My babies were/are bad sleepers so perhaps others have different experiences.

I also know some people who likes the snuggle nest who were afraid of rolling on their little ones. That only works for the first few months but then you could move them to the side car crib or perhaps then you would be more comfortable with them in bed with you?

Also, I used to be a deep sleeper and pregnancy and babies have made me a light sleeper. A train used to not wake me up but my baby making a little sound makes me very alert.

crunchymum
03-28-2005, 10:29 AM
i became a light sleeper when i had babies.... ;)

i've heard good things about the snuggle nests... we also had success sidecar'ing our crib.... much more room! :) IMO, if you have a crib anyway, an arms reach is sort of a waste... :O jmo, though.

hth

Mamaka
03-28-2005, 02:00 PM
I used to be a super deep sleeper too - I even slept through a fire alarm in my college dorm once :eek I'm not a deep sleeper now, though the older ds gets the deeper I seem to sleep. I think I read somewhere that pg/lactating hormones cause lighter sleep in mamas.

Not much else to add beyond have heard :tu on co-sleepers and the snuggle nests. HTH. :)

Kaz
03-29-2005, 05:03 AM
I also became a light sleeper after I had dd. I think nature designed it this way. But if you are worried, for sure get a side-car thingum or co-sleeper.
I would wait a bit though, or borrow someone else's to see if you really need one. I can tell you the number of things we bought before dd was born and didn't end up needing at all !