PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see Nanny 911 last night?

Reva
03-22-2005, 05:21 AM
She was *really* down on the mom for cosleeping w/ her little ones. :( At one point she said that any grown woman who sleeps w/ her 6 yr old has serious problems-or something to that effect. :( Made me feel bad. I know we started off cosleeping as an attachment thing, but now it's also progressed to more of a "I know they're safe" thing. Emmie's bedroom is all the way on the other side of the house, and I just don't feel right about her sleeping there yet. Not that Em would sleep there now w/o a fight-she's quite comfy where she is. ;)

I know I don't have to justify myself over here, but I've just been beating myself up since watching that show. We all like cosleeping though (Dh included!) so I guess if it works for us, then it's ok. Anyone else cosleeping w/ an older child? Emmie is 4.5.

LadyBird
03-22-2005, 06:57 AM
If Jessica Lundsford was a co-sleeper would she still be alive? Or maybe her dad should have made sure the doors were locked.... :banghead This nanny show is awful...it is sad that America wants this kind of thing...and that ratings are what is important and not what is best for our children :(

DogwoodMama
03-22-2005, 08:22 AM
It was really sad. :( We're chatting about it in the TV forum also!

milkmommy
03-24-2005, 05:17 PM
OM I ussually overall like nanny 911 but that one SERIOUSLY annoyed the heck out of me! Her comments about cosleeping were sooo dumb! Like the son was "replacing the father" I hated how they'd say he was "discipling" his brother when hes spank his younger brother. Ummm no hes not hes just hitting and where did he learn that from?? Thought it was strange she said "Thats not his job to "discipline" its the parents .I agree but she never addressed the idea of the parents spanking I thought that was a no no with the nannies? It sounded like she was saying spankings were okay as long a s parents did it and not siblings?
Oh and my "favourite" line LOL was when she commented on how the mother never put the baby down and said.
" Actually I hardly ever heard her cry she never got a chance to!" --- So UMMM thats a bad thing?
The only part aI liked was when the older brother helped teach his brother how to pee in the potty, that was sweet and I kinda wondered why that hadn't tried that approach from the start!
I did agree the peeing in the front yards whith Mommy going "OH see those plants are growing! :rolleyes coments needed to be changed. I did think the momy would/will benifit with a better rountinue but it sounded like Nanny was pushing for a strict schedule. (like 2:00 naps 4:00 feeding times etc?? I'd have to see it again to really comment on the cosleeping. Were they really having cosleeping issues? Like on some shows they talk abouts kids who never sleep spouses unwillingly kicked out etc.. where changes were propably good but was that the case? Oh and why remove the baby? I mean I could kinda grasp her wanting the plder kis to sleep in their room but why was it necessary to get the baby in a seperate room? The nanny didn't even suggest a cib in their room? Why? Seemed totally dumb.
Deffiently a thumbs down from me.

Deanna

ozmummy
03-27-2005, 04:16 AM
Anyone else cosleeping w/ an older child? Emmie is 4.5.

we have a family bed (huge) with ds 5, dh, dd 21mos, and I. When we get some money we plan to buy a bunk bed with a double size bed as the bottom layer, and put that in the kid's room. Then we have a range of sleep options, and will allow ds to choose where he would like to sleep. I have heard that when given the choice many children choose their own bed around 4-6yrs. We have recently moved house and ds has started school, and i think that cosleeping has really given him extra security amidst all the life changes...

crunchymum
03-30-2005, 09:53 AM
so I guess if it works for us, then it's ok. Anyone else cosleeping w/ an older child? Emmie is 4.5.

me! :mrgreen

dd is 4 and we still cosleep. she has a 'special bed' next to ours ( old crib mattress), but we all usually end up in the 'big bed'... :lol dh and i both love it... it has it's challenges (what part of parenting doesn't?) but it's what works best for us. i coslept probably until i was 10 or 11? now before you all freak out, a lot of it had to do with our lifestyle (not a whole lot of room for seperate beds when you live in a school bus, :lol). i honestly have wonderful memories of cosleeping as an older child. (although you better believe i wanted my own room when it was available to me! ;))

JessicaTX
03-31-2005, 10:13 AM
All of my kids have beds of their own. And sometimes they actually sleep in them, lol.

Actually, the 9 year old climbs in bed with us very rarely, he's a heavy sleeper. I think the last time he coslept was a year ago. The 6 year old and 4 year old might come in once or twice a month, and the 2 year old spends half her time in her bed, the other half in ours. I cosleep with a dog and cat too, lol. It gets quite crowded in my ever so popular bed. =)

ArmsOfLove
03-31-2005, 11:31 AM
Our whole family cosleeps between the king sized bed and a twin mattress on the floor. There are beds they will use when they want to, but for now we're all happy. I did have to ask dh to make more of an effort to move children and sleep next to me. We actually have a baby in between us and it was a two-fold reason I asked. 1) because I like to wrap my legs around his at night :) and 2) he doesn't roll over on the babies ;)

AttachedMamma
03-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Didn't see the show. I'm one of those people who gets too fired up about issues like this, so after seeing it a couple of times, decided I had to go "on the wagon". ;)

Our 4.5yo DD sleeps w/us too! :highfive We had tried to transition her to a mattress on the floor around 18 mos :blush when I was out of my mind from lack of sleep, but it didn't really work. We then had some trauma in our family and then DD had to have surgery, so there has never been a good time to even think about moving her to another bed. She says she wants to have her own bed "when I'm older"--a frilly canopy bed :hearts

We're planning to follow her cue on this. We all sleep great--have a big king-size bed. And I know what you're talking about w/the "I know she's safe" thing. If there was ever a fire or something, we're all in the same spot.

Dizzy Blond
04-01-2005, 10:47 AM
I hated that episode. Very harsh nanny.

jmh1013
04-02-2005, 06:14 PM
"Oh and my "favourite" line LOL was when she commented on how the mother never put the baby down and said.
" Actually I hardly ever heard her cry she never got a chance to!" "

I would have though that would be a good thing, that she didn't get a "chance" to cry

Lyn
04-04-2005, 07:13 PM
I enjoy Nanny 911. I really like nanny Deb too. She really cares about the families she works with and she says wonderful things like, "Get on your child's level." And she's an advocate of respecting children and praising them.

However, the co-sleeping issue ... I think she saw some emotional issues going on with the mom that were interfering with the marriage. If cosleeping is getting in the way of marital happiness then changes should be made. I think this was the case with this family. Seeing how the husband and wife touched and smiled the first morning after having the bed to themselves put me on the nanny's side in this issue -- and I had been outraged at first. But, I still think she was wrong about the baby. Baby's belong with their moms.

We used to have a huge family bed. Our kids were all together until I became pregnant with our youngest. My dh got worried that we'd never be alone in bed again so we moved our children (ages 5.5 and 2.5 at the time) into their own room. Our younger child (dd) still nursed to sleep and would come into our bed during the night. We currently have our 17 month old with us. He has a toddler bed up against my side of the bed. :) He keeps trying to go to bed with our dd (now 4.5) but she won't let him. :lol