PDA

View Full Version : Gifting slings?

Tamara
03-21-2005, 05:28 PM
I've been making slings for pregnant ladies in our church, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it. No one ever uses it...so am I being stubborn to give what they won't use? I think, since I can usually make a sling for about $10, it's a personal, meaningful gift; but if it's a personal agenda--is it a good gift?

Thanks, Tamara

Stonebeck Farm
03-21-2005, 06:04 PM
I think they are great gifts. Are you sure they never use them? They are especially nice since you make them. :D

I made the assistant pastor and his wife each one (originally she wanted black but then decided purple would be more fun so I gave her both). I only ever saw the assistant pastor wear the black one the first Sunday he had his dd in church (10 months ago). I've never seen his wife wear hers. BUT one of the teens who works with me in nursery told me how she sees the wife use the sling all the time especially for youth functions. :)

Even if they don't use it for this baby maybe they would "dig" it out for a next one. I know some women who would have never used a sling with first children, use them with subsequent children ;)

Heather Micaela
03-21-2005, 08:21 PM
I would keep gifting them. I do. But what I did is include a video(by my friend) on hopw to use them invarious ways. I also include a note that says how valuable hey have been to me, but how (like verything in parenting) it does have a learning curve - I say of of about 2 weeks. This has made the difference of whether or not they use them.

kris10s
03-22-2005, 07:54 AM
I include a similar note and point them to the instructions at the babywearer!

Keep giving... :o)

DogwoodMama
03-22-2005, 08:25 AM
They probably are intimidated by it and need help- maybe visit them and give them a quick tutorial? A lady gave me a sling at our church but it was too small.. I sent it to Kawani, and it was too small for her, but she passed it on to another mom so hopefully someone is using it! So down the road you don't know how it'll be used, even if not by the original mom. Hope that makes sense! :)

MarynMunchkins
03-22-2005, 02:58 PM
There are 6 pregnant women in my Sunday school class, and they've all asked me to make them a sling before I move. :lol I've sold two at church and gifted 4, and I'm still the only person I've ever seen use one. :shrug But I like knowing that I did my part to promote baby-wearing, and I do offer to help them use them. :)