Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ways to make first day of homeschool special?

Toby starts official homeschool in September. He is accutely aware that all his friends are starting 'away school', so I'm trying to think of ways to make his first day of school as special as everyone else's.

We're not going for bags of 'work' infact it wont be much different from what we're doing already. But I'm thinking of going shopping with him so he can help pick out his supplies. He's very excited about getting his own pencil case

I'm thinking of asking him to think of something he wants to do a project about, so I can find all the resources out and he can start by learning about something he finds interesting.

I wanna take pictures of him, like everyone else has their first day at school pictures.

We're thinking of going out for a meal to celebrate in the evening.

What else fun can we do during the day?

We'll also be attending our local 'Not Back to School Picnic', but its unlikely to be the first day of term

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ways to make first day of homeschool special?

A friend of mine starts by baking cookies with the new student. It's sort of their initiation and first lesson in measuring.

Dh brings donuts home on our first day of school. It's the only time we ever have donuts.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenageearthmummy07 View Post
I'm thinking of going shopping with him so he can help pick out his supplies. He's very excited about getting his own pencil case

I wanna take pictures of him, like everyone else has their first day at school pictures.
Those are good ideas. The friend who bakes cookies did School Pictures every first day of school, and she posted their First Grade picture on her blog along with their graduation picture when they graduated from homeschool. She had them hold up a cardboard sign that says what grade they're in and their name, so it looks like a real school picture, and I think she let them buy new school clothes, which they appear to be wearing in their pictures.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leslie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

Last year we took pics, played some board games and I was able to take dd1 (her official start of Kinder year) to a special movie. That was for the kick off of our year.

On the first day of the public school year we went to the zoo.

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
jandjmommy
Rose Bouquet

jandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of light

I made a giant ruler to hang on the door to track the kids' height at the beginning of each school year -- I copied this idea: http://doorcouture.com/collections : scroll through until you get the pic of the door with the ruler, click on it, then you can register and get pdf instructions -- you can just figure it out from the photo if you don't want to register, but they've never sent me email or spam. I used real wood (cut to size for free at Lowe's) instead of foam board so it should last forever.

We take photos of it on the first day of school each year, and it makes a cute door decoration through September.

Last edited by jandjmommy; 06-20-2011 at 07:31 AM.
jandjmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jandjmommy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
SalH
Rose Trellis

SalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond repute

My kids like special words. So can you take him on "An Excursion"? You'd get some great photos, can make a nice little scrap book page in a "learning story" folder or scrapbook, and it would be a good start to a project.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
lenswyf
Rose Garden

lenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond repute

What if you gift him on the first day with his special collection of brand spankin' new school supplies? That always thrills ds.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
BearyBlessed
Rose Garden

BearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond repute

The son of our hs group leaders felt the same way. I don't remember it even being on my radar, but I could just not remember it.
Anyway, that's why they started the First Day of School Picnic. It was always on the actual first day of school. We went to this really nice, big park. We took pictures of each grade together and a big group pic, too.

I think my mom also took pics of us each year, before we left for the picnic. But, that might have just been 1st grade. I'm not sure we did anything else to mark the day. But, I am following along here because I would like to do something for my boys.

Wife to my best friend since December 2000
Mama to my boys
Aji ~ My long awaited blessing ~ May 2007
Living with T1D since May 2012

YoYo ~ My HBAC miracle ~ November 2009

BearyBlessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenswyf View Post
What if you gift him on the first day with his special collection of brand spankin' new school supplies? That always thrills ds.
That would thrill me!
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I am thinking of doing is placing the new curriculum on a visible-but-out-of-reach shelf with a big ribbon tied around it - then "opening" on the first day.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
littlemama
Rose Trellis

littlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond repute

We go out for donuts and take pictures of everyone before we start our first day of lessons.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

We tend to 'take back the zoo' once all the public schoolers are back in class and it's much, much less crowded (or the park, etc)

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #12
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemama View Post
We go out for donuts and take pictures of everyone before we start our first day of lessons.
Love this -- that would be really fun!

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote