Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
purstrength
Rose Garden

purstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud of
Default Questions about 72 Hour Bags...

Dh and I are working on getting some 72 Hour Bags together. I think most of my questions revolve around food and water.

So far we have for each of us:
- 3 Clif Bars (I plan on 3 more - Kroger has them on sale for $1 each this week. Is that a good deal?)
- 1 Can of vegetable soup
- 1 Can of corn
- 1 Can of green beans
- 2 Cans of Spam
- 2 Bottles of Grape Juice
- 2 Fruit Leathers
- 3 Packets of Emergen C

Would you take any of those things out? Would you get more of any of these things in particular?

I'm wondering if we should limit the number of cans of veggies since they weigh more. I figure the Spam is worth its weight.

How much water would you have in your bag? The list I looked at says only a gallon. That seems like a lot to carry, but not enough for three days.

I know I want to add a bag of nuts to each of our bags, but how much food do we NEED for three days?

Remembering Mary
purstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
AdrienneQW
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

AdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about 72 Hour Bags...

If you're talking about basic survival for three days, all you need is water and calories. I opted for premade 3,000 calorie bars - lightweight, so we can carry more water. I bought an extra one and cut it up for each person in our family to try; they're not super-tasty but nobody had any trouble taking a few bites. In survival mode, they will more than suffice.

I'm glad I saw fruit leather on your list; that will make an excellent addition to my bag because they're very stable and weigh next to nothing. Just lay a fruit leather right on top of the nutrition bar to make it more palatable!

I'm sure you've thought of this, but I read your list and my brain was shouting "Remind her to bring a can opener!"
Proud mama of Dexter (Feb 2002) and Celeste (April 2005)
Always loving Thomas William (03/04)
AdrienneQW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
purstrength
Rose Garden

purstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrienneQW
I'm sure you've thought of this, but I read your list and my brain was shouting "Remind her to bring a can opener!"
I've thought of it, but I still need to get some! Hopefully we don't need the bags anytime soon! My mom told me to get some from an army surplus store, but I need to figure out where one is located.

And I think I might drop the cans of veggies...but keep the spam.

Remembering Mary
Old 02-07-2009, 01:45 AM   #4
purstrength
Rose Garden

I found these neat little packets of organic peanut butter...like individual servings in foil packets. They were 10 for $5.99 or you could get them individually. So not exactly cheap, but we only need one box to split between all three kits.

Remembering Mary
Old 02-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
AdrienneQW
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

AdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds great Kat - did you find them online or locally? I'd love a link if it was online.
Proud mama of Dexter (Feb 2002) and Celeste (April 2005)
Always loving Thomas William (03/04)
AdrienneQW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I'm so glad I read this today

We can't eat most "bars" but there are some at TJ's that I can get for us. I'll have to find out what their shelf life is.

I would actually add more emergenC
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there's enough nutrition or calories in canned corn and beans to justify the weight if carrying the bags is part of the plan.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute

That's a pretty good list and I love the EmergenC idea I'm going to add that to my list. I also like your peanut butter packets!!

I just posted my entire list if your interested
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...msg2331616#new

This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins

My Hygge Page
JoyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute

As for water, I'm not quite sure yet either. We always have bottled water on hand, but transporting that in an emergency is beyond me right now. Maybe having a duffel bag along with the emergency kits to load up with water last minute

My Hygge Page
Old 02-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

I'm referring to this video when I make mine- they're going to look really similar to hers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8zrkENy9QM

Water isn't included in those. But I saw Jenny Hatch's 72 hour kits on her blog, and she's got these gallon containers with a strap. I like those! You can grab your milk jug of food and strap your gallon of water and go! (I know that's not enough for 72 hours, but it's something.)

Crystal, I'd be interested to see yours since I know you have special dietary needs.
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #11
purstrength
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrienneQW
That sounds great Kat - did you find them online or locally? I'd love a link if it was online.
I found the peanut butter packets at Whole Foods, with the peanut butter jars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove
I'm so glad I read this today

We can't eat most "bars" but there are some at TJ's that I can get for us. I'll have to find out what their shelf life is.

I would actually add more emergenC
As long as the shelf life is about six months, you should be good to go. That is as long as your family doesn't mind eating some bars every six months when you update your Kits.

How much EmergenC do you think is good? Right now, I have a pack a day per person. Maybe two a day? Or three?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingmom
I don't think there's enough nutrition or calories in canned corn and beans to justify the weight if carrying the bags is part of the plan.
Very true... They are out of the packs now anyways. They went in the first day, as I walked around the house to see what we had already that could be used!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyGal
That's a pretty good list and I love the EmergenC idea I'm going to add that to my list. I also like your peanut butter packets!!

I just posted my entire list if your interested
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...msg2331616#new
Thanks for sharing your list! I like the exact number you use. That helps my brain! I read a link that said the "pop top" cans may not be a good idea, if storage will include extreme temperatures. http://lds.about.com/b/2007/08/15/72...it-warning.htm (Is it okay if I don't break this link?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbwifemama
I'm referring to this video when I make mine- they're going to look really similar to hers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8zrkENy9QM

Water isn't included in those. But I saw Jenny Hatch's 72 hour kits on her blog, and she's got these gallon containers with a strap. I like those! You can grab your milk jug of food and strap your gallon of water and go! (I know that's not enough for 72 hours, but it's something.)
That's an awesome video! Very creative! Thanks for sharing!

Remembering Mary
Old 02-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #12
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

I wouldn't have any cans. Too heavy. We have some lara bars, some nuts, and are getting some Mountain House dehydrated food. We have water to carry and I'm researching what kind or water filter I want to get. We also have some water purifying tablets. We also have a lighter, flint and steel, rope, a tarp, and a few other things. Food, water, fire, and shelter.

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

With the video I linked to- the can of beenie weenies is to cook the other stuff in, so that's why there's that can.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:44 AM   #14
JoyGal
Rose Garden

That's a good link Kat, thanks.

We keep the kits in the pantry, so I think after 6-12 months (or expiration date) they should be good. I've seen cans buldge in the hot car though, so I guess the pop-top kind would just be easier to explode.

ITA about the gum though (explained in the link). Sometimes if I put snacks in my purse and there is gum then it all tastes minty, ugh, so keeping it seeled in an extra containor or something might work better in a kit.

I just saw individual packets of honey in an ad from yesterday so I want to go check them out and see if they are any good. If so, then I'll replace the sugar packs with honey packs.

Herbwife, have you checked out the heating stoves that work for the cans yet? They are only a few dollars aren't they? I want to see about getting some too.

My Hygge Page
Old 02-09-2009, 06:50 AM   #15
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

I checked it out- they're under $5. Very affordable,a nd the f uel is cheap too.