Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please tell me I'm not the only one

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this. Hopefully it is.

I have this thing about cross contamination with meat. I try to be really careful to wash my hands, utensils, cutting boards, counters, etc. very well after coming into contact with raw meat. I'm finding that I'm seemingly in the minority on this thing. I don't know anyone else in real life who is as careful as I am. Am I just nuts? Or are some of you just like me?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
KatieMae

Default Re: Please tell me I'm not the only one

You're not alone. I'm very particular about that kind of thing

I always cook meats thoroughly, so I'm not concerned about it when we eat it, but I usually buy in bulk & re-package to freeze it & THAT is when I'm super-careful about what touches the meat, or what those things touch after they touch the meat. If possible, I try to put things directly into the dishwasher so they don't even touch the counter or the sink. And I have hot water running to wash my hands & dry w/ a paper towel.

But you're right. I think there are a LOT of people who aren't careful with food safety.

Another big one to me is leaving food on the counter too long after a meal. It *must* get put away within a certain time or I don't keep the leftovers You know, it's only "overly careful" until I don't do it once & we all get sick. Rather safe than sorry in this case.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty particular about it. When dh and I got married, he was in food service and it's very big to him.

I'm not quite as bad as my bil who insists that everything that touches raw meat be sprayed with bleach afterwards.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Glad I'm not crazy.

I'm particular about getting food put away, too. I also try to put my stuff directly in the dishwasher without touching the counter or sink. I haven't used bleach, but I do use disinfecting wipes on the counter and vinegar in the sink.

I'll have to say that holidays are my nightmare when food is left out for a long time and then re-served later that day. I just can't eat it.

So why aren't people as careful as we are?

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 02-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
KatieMae

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla
I'll have to say that holidays are my nightmare when food is left out for a long time and then re-served later that day. I just can't eat it.

So why aren't people as careful as we are?
to the holiday thing - though I figure if I microwave it long enough it would kill anything living I just have to wait an hour until it cools down enough to eat it

Why aren't people careful? It's either 1) They are oblivious to the dangers, or 2) It's a calculated risk & they don't think it's likely enough to bother with the extra steps or special attention. Both of those are sad, IMO. With all the salmonella illness lately - from whatever the source - we should be aware that food-borne illness IS common and usually preventable. And just b/c something is already processed does NOT mean it's safe
Old 02-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
charla
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMae
to the holiday thing - though I figure if I microwave it long enough it would kill anything living I just have to wait an hour until it cools down enough to eat it

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 02-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Raspberries

I feel that way about meat AND eggs. I cringe when people eat cookie dough. We look like we're going into surgery when we prepare meat and have to touch it. If DH is home he'll turn on the hot water for me and pour soap in my hands . When I prepare a whole chicken, I wear gloves. I try to use some other utensil to transfer meat. Then when cooking it on a pan I change utensils part way through once the sides start to cook.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
charla
Administrator

So here are a couple of my theories on why people are not careful:

1. It takes too much effort and time
2. They've always done it that way and have never gotten sick.

I just know if I slacked one time I'd be the one in bathroom being . Okay, so maybe that's a little neurotic.

Thanks for reminding me: no one in my house eats raw eggs either.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 02-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
Raspberries

I have issues with throwing up in general. Like serious anxiety about it. So that plays into why I'm careful. Also, my Dad used to cook at the Disneyland Hotel and drilled in sanitary cooking conditions to me as I grew up.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty careful, too. I'm also creeped out by washclothes and change them 2 or more times a day, depending on what I'm doing in the kitchen.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
KatieMae

I saw a show on Oprah - so it must have been about four years ago, I haven't watched her in a LONG time - when a microbiologist came on the show & analyzed people's homes to see where they had horrible amounts of bacteria. On that show, the scientist gave recommendations on how often to wash things like washcloths, sponges, towels & bed linens, as well as how often to replace pillows, etc and it was appalling to me b/c I really didn't know how bad they could get. I wasn't really "bad" or anything, but I was changing a washcloth & kitchen towel once/wk and now I do it every other day I used to wash sheets monthly but now I do it weekly, things like that.

I suppose you just keep to the standards that you're raised with, until you learn otherwise
Old 02-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #12
charla
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberries
I have issues with throwing up in general. Like serious anxiety about it. So that plays into why I'm careful. Also, my Dad used to cook at the Disneyland Hotel and drilled in sanitary cooking conditions to me as I grew up.
I avoid throwing up at all costs.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 02-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
Raspberries

Quote:
Quote:
I hate how weird I am about it too. OT- my DH threw up the other day and it consumed my thoughts for the two days following. I didn't even want to eat. I was constantly evaluating how I felt. I've got issues.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #14
charla
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I hate how weird I am about it too. OT- my DH threw up the other day and it consumed my thoughts for the two days following. I didn't even want to eat. I was constantly evaluating how I felt. I've got issues.
Well, then I guess I do, too, or maybe worse since I stew about people not in my household who are throwing up. For instance, I hate going to the doctor or ER because I'm worried what I'll see or hear in that regard. Or almost each week during the kids' ministry I'll think at least one time that I hope nobody throws up.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 02-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #15
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMae
I saw a show on Oprah - so it must have been about four years ago, I haven't watched her in a LONG time - when a microbiologist came on the show & analyzed people's homes to see where they had horrible amounts of bacteria. On that show, the scientist gave recommendations on how often to wash things like washcloths, sponges, towels & bed linens, as well as how often to replace pillows, etc and it was appalling to me b/c I really didn't know how bad they could get. I wasn't really "bad" or anything, but I was changing a washcloth & kitchen towel once/wk and now I do it every other day I used to wash sheets monthly but now I do it weekly, things like that.

I suppose you just keep to the standards that you're raised with, until you learn otherwise
I am super super careful with meat and raw eggs. And my husband learned to cook in food service. It is the only germ thing we're hyper vigilant about.

But this Oprah thing, it bothers me. They test for bacteria, but not -which- bacteria. Yes, your home is coated in germs. Absolutely coated. And praise God for that! We are symbiotic creatures, absolutely dependent for our lives on the bacteria that flourish in our bodies. Our entire world is completely dependent on germs. Sanitizing the life out of a house isn't healthy. Reducing the load of dangerous bacteria, and keeping everything in a nice balance is a better goal. I do change the dishrag with every load of dishes, and the hand towel in the kitchen at least once a day. Towels get used only twice if they don't get the opportunity to get back to bone dry. Sheets I try to wash once a week. But I do not live in bleach, and I don't wash on sterile settings.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote