Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
TrinMama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

TrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pantries

Do you have one? Where? I don't. No closet in my kitchen. I wish I did. We have TONS of cabinets but they are mostly filled with dishes and appliances. I've tried to make a pantry in the basement, but the shelves are not working for me. I need something new. Poke me at the end of the day if I haven't posted pics so you all can help me out!
TrinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
MamaPepper
Rose Garden

MamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pantries

I should read slower. . . I read "Panties" and was thinking "why are we talking about panties in Joyous Housekeeping?"

Photographer & Designer

My PhotographyMy Webpage
MamaPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
Grover
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Grover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond repute

Nope -Dont have one.We have a small fridge
One is getting married later this year
Two have flown the nest.
Grandma to four .
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

what about moving some of the less oft used dishes & appliances to another spot (like shelves in the basement) & using your cabinets for your pantry? We have a small pantry, but the most used stuff is in a cabinet b/c it is easier.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

This house has a pantry and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I'm not sure how I could go backwards. I've never had one before and had to use cupboards for food and it was never enough space with everything else I had to store there.

I've seen people use the shelves in their basements as their pantry and it seems to work well, but you said that doesn't work for you. What about buying a armoire type pantry thing with doors and shelves to put in the basement to use.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

My current house has a gargantuan pantry; my last didn't have one. I had DH build shelves in the garage & I used that as my pantry. It worked perfectly for me. My sister converted her small linen closet in the hall to a pantry.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
KatieMae

I my pantry

Our first apartment - a studio apt, super-small - barely had enough cupboards, let alone a pantry, so we bought a bookshelf at Target & viola, pantry! You could paint it to match the kitchen walls, or make curtain to cover it if you want the stuff out-of-sight.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
TrinMama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

TrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPepper
I should read slower. . . I read "Panties" and was thinking "why are we talking about panties in Joyous Housekeeping?"
Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
TrinMama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines
This house has a pantry and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I'm not sure how I could go backwards. I've never had one before and had to use cupboards for food and it was never enough space with everything else I had to store there.

I've seen people use the shelves in their basements as their pantry and it seems to work well, but you said that doesn't work for you. What about buying a armoire type pantry thing with doors and shelves to put in the basement to use.
good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylove
My current house has a gargantuan pantry; my last didn't have one. I had DH build shelves in the garage & I used that as my pantry. It worked perfectly for me. My sister converted her small linen closet in the hall to a pantry.
we have a closet I could use, IF I convince DH to stop hanging coats there that he doesn't wear. Then I'd also have to find a new spot for our vacuum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMae

That's a neat idea!
I my pantry

Our first apartment - a studio apt, super-small - barely had enough cupboards, let alone a pantry, so we bought a bookshelf at Target & viola, pantry! You could paint it to match the kitchen walls, or make curtain to cover it if you want the stuff out-of-sight.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I have one--when we ripped out our old kitchen I insisted on it.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79811860

Instead of all shelves I have a few shelves and then baskets that slide out
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #11
TrinMama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove
I have one--when we ripped out our old kitchen I insisted on it.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79811860

Instead of all shelves I have a few shelves and then baskets that slide out
nice. I wish we had IKEA here! But I could get that online...
Old 12-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #12
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute

We have a small closet pantry.

In our old house in Savannah, our pantry was triple the size of the one we have now. Sooooo nice!

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #13
rubicube

No pantry here either.. .and full cabinets. I have moved some of our larger appliances to shelves in the basement.. .like the stand mixer, the crockpot, etc. I have them on a small shelf right at the bottom of the steps so they are still convenient.

I also had my husband set up shelves for food in the basement. . .mostly for canned goods, extra cereal, condiments, etc. I don't have any food in the basement that is for immediate or everyday use. . .that would just be too much of a hassle. . .just the backups and the canned goods.. Again the shelves are right around the corner of the steps so I'm not trekking through the entire basement, but just quickly running down the steps.

I would LOVE to have a pantry, but for now the basement is the only thing that is really practical here.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #14
KatieMae

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicube
No pantry here either.. .and full cabinets. I have moved some of our larger appliances to shelves in the basement.. .like the stand mixer, the crockpot, etc. I have them on a small shelf right at the bottom of the steps so they are still convenient.
It also occurred to me that if you had room for shelves on your walls (like, built-in shelves, not a store-bought bookcase) you could put the big, pretty appliances on those. It wouldn't look cluttered b/c it's just a few large things (mixer, food processor, rice cooker, whatever you have) and it would free up a LOT of space in your cabinets.

Quote:
I also had my husband set up shelves for food in the basement. . .mostly for canned goods, extra cereal, condiments, etc. I don't have any food in the basement that is for immediate or everyday use. . .that would just be too much of a hassle. . .just the backups and the canned goods.. Again the shelves are right around the corner of the steps so I'm not trekking through the entire basement, but just quickly running down the steps.
We had that set-up in the huge, old farmhouse where I grew up. My mom canned lots & lots of veggies & fruits during the summer & my dad rigged shelves using cut-down plywood & cement blocks Call it a "rustic" look
Old 12-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #15
mom2threegirls

Quote:
Me too. And my next thought was "Ok, maybe we're talking about decluttering our panties " .

In our old house I used the linen closet as a pantry. It was just a room away so it worked pretty well. No pantry at our house now but we have tons of cabinet space so I don't need one. Do you have an extra closet somewhere close you could change to a pantry maybe? Or declutter some of the cabinets so there is room for food?