Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 12-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
ilikestrawberryjello
Rose Trellis

ilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to behold
Default A wedding Invitiation

We got a wedding invitation in the mail that said "Mr, and Mrs. Name Here" they didn't say family or include my daughter's name on the invite. I RSVPed for the wedding over the phone and left a message saying that'd we'd be there and we are bringing our daughter. Is that terrible of me? I thought at first that they just didn't think to add the "and family" part. Not that they left it off on purpose. I can't imagine these friends not wanting kids at their wedding. Do you think I was out of line? And if so, how do I ask if they did or did not want my daughter there, cause obviously if they don't want her there, I won't be going.
ilikestrawberryjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
Six Little Feet
Rose Garden

one who loves coffee

Six Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A wedding Invitiation

Well IMO they have already made it clear that your DD was not invited. If she was also invited it would of said her name or & family. Now you can wait and see what they say....

mom of three young feminists

Pumpkin 2001-Midge 2005-Cookie 2007

“I know, up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here at the bottom we, too, should have rights.”

― Dr. Seuss, Yertle the Turtle and Gertrude McFuzz
Six Little Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
freshwaterfish
Deactivated

freshwaterfish is on a distinguished road

I am getting ready to put together invitations, and I want people to bring their family but honestly didn't think to add "and family"... I'll definitely be doing that!
freshwaterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
cheri
Rose Garden

cheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond repute

honestly, by etiquitte standards, only the people who are named on the invitation are invited. no kids names means the kids are not invited.

so yes, I think you were wrong to call and say that you're bringing your daughter because she wasn't invited.

cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
cindergretta
Deactivated

My miracle blessing who brings tears to my eyes!

cindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playful Mommy
Well IMO they have already made it clear that your DD was not invited. If she was also invited it would of said her name or & family. Now you can wait and see what they say....
cindergretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
homesteadmama
Rose Trellis

homesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the same sitch. Just got an invite with only my name and DH's name. I RSVP-ed that we couldn't make it. Good luck!

Sarah, INFJ
Wife to M since 1/04
Mommy to S (1/07), W (1/09), S (1/11)~My UC baby, and A (12/14), Another UC baby
, Baby-Wearing, , Cloth Diapering, , Traditional Foods Family
My blog
homesteadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #7
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri
honestly, by etiquitte standards, only the people who are named on the invitation are invited. no kids names means the kids are not invited.

so yes, I think you were wrong to call and say that you're bringing your daughter because she wasn't invited.

But I don't think it is appropriate to just "wait and see what they say." That puts the bride in an awkward spot when it was your mistake. If indeed kids aren't invited, she tried to make it as clear as she could without being rude, by following etiquette standards and not listing your DD on the invitation--so IMO it's your responsibility to address the error, not make her do it. I'd call/email and politely explain, "I'm sorry, I think I may have misunderstood the invitation when I RSVPed. I included DD, but later realized her name wasn't on the invitation. We're going to have to decline." And if, as you initially assumed, it really was just an oversight on their part and they do want your DD there, that gives her an opening to say, "oh, I'm sorry, we meant to include her! she is more than welcome to come along."

Please don't be pushy or rude about the fact that your DD wasn't invited. (I'm not saying you ARE or WOULD BE--just gently reminding/urging you not to be, if the temptation is there ) Whether you like it or not, it is the bride and groom's prerogative to decide whether they would like to have kids present or have a more formal, adult celebration.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:03 PM   #8
cybelle1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmamy
But I don't think it is appropriate to just "wait and see what they say." That puts the bride in an awkward spot when it was your mistake. If indeed kids aren't invited, she tried to make it as clear as she could without being rude, by following etiquette standards and not listing your DD on the invitation--so IMO it's your responsibility to address the error, not make her do it. I'd call/email and politely explain, "I'm sorry, I think I may have misunderstood the invitation when I RSVPed. I included DD, but later realized her name wasn't on the invitation. We're going to have to decline." And if, as you initially assumed, it really was just an oversight on their part and they do want your DD there, that gives her an opening to say, "oh, I'm sorry, we meant to include her! she is more than welcome to come along."

Please don't be pushy or rude about the fact that your DD wasn't invited. (I'm not saying you ARE or WOULD BE--just gently reminding/urging you not to be, if the temptation is there ) Whether you like it or not, it is the bride and groom's prerogative to decide whether they would like to have kids present or have a more formal, adult celebration.
ITA with the others, and I think this suggestion is a really good approach. As for the no kids thing, it could just be financial as well. Caterers sometimes have crazy rules about meal costs, so if there are lots of kids, it can add up.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
ilikestrawberryjello
Rose Trellis

ilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to behold

I guess I didn't even think that they wouldn't want kids there. We have all been such good friends...I think I will email back like schmamy suggested.
ilikestrawberryjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be the dissenting voice.

At a year and a half, if she is still nursing, I would not worry about it so much. Just be prepared to leave the venue (like the foyer of the church or hallway of the reception) at the littlest disruption.

Even ettiquite says nursing babies are consiered part of the mother. It is not like they have to provide a plate for her.

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #11
MidnightCafe
Rose Garden

MidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond repute

The weddings that I have been to where children are not invited have said so specifically on the invitation (well, ok, I've only been to one like that ). If you are concerned about it, I'd do what the previous poster suggested & give them a call.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #12
MidnightCafe
Rose Garden

MidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and the no-kids wedding that we went to was Mango's cousin's wedding, and I would have NEVER thought they'd have a no-kids wedding. So, you never know.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:36 PM   #13
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Heather , if the child is nursing and under two years old , and you leave at the smallest noise (I'd even sit in the way back with the child ) then I'd bring the child.

J3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #14
cheri
Rose Garden

cheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3K
I'm with Heather , if the child is nursing and under two years old , and you leave at the smallest noise (I'd even sit in the way back with the child ) then I'd bring the child.
See, I think this is wrong. So that's like saying that it's ok to bring your uninvited child, just because they're nursing? So a nursing 16 month old can come, but a 16 month old who has weaned cannot come? To me, no kids means no kids. Some people may make exceptions for nursing babies, and some may not.

cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #15
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

A couple I know got married about 2 years ago, and they insisted on no children period. That included nursing babies. :/ Needless to say, given that *6* couples in their circle of friends had babies under 6 months, there was a lot of controversy, as some of the couples with new babies were really upset that this couple were so adamant that no babies were included in the "no children" event. One couple brought their baby anyhow, another brought a babysitter to sit in the area outside the church and then the reception site with the baby, another didn't go at all. I don't know how the other 2 couples invited handled it, we lived too far away for us to attend. It was fully within their rights to say no nursing babies, but it wasn't terribly considerate of couples with infants.

They are now expecting their first baby, and will probably be rather humbled when they realize how silly it was of them to be so sticky about infants.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote