Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old 02-20-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
chelsea
Rose Garden

chelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of light
Default Can Someone Get Your "Info" From An Online Photo?

I hear somewhere that info can be gathered from the coding on digital camera pics. This makes me a little nervous. Is it a bad idea to have any digital photos online anywhere, at any time? For example, if I sent my photo to someone can they tell where I live, etc? This makes me a little
Old 02-20-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can Someone Get Your "Info" From An Online Photo?

I don't really see how they could.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
chelsea
Rose Garden

chelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of light

Ahh, I found the quote I was vaguely remembering. This was what someone said in the "Protecting Our Children" phorum on a related thread:
Quote:
Smething to keep in mind is that digital photographs apparently contain more information in their coding or something than scanned ones. Like info from your computer and or camera about where you are located.
That made me go
Old 02-20-2007, 11:14 PM   #4
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really understand that though. I've never put my personal info into my camera. How does it know where I live?

There IS info though. You can find out what settings were used, what day it was taken etc.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
SansSouci
Rose Garden

SansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond repute

Well, they could find out from your e-mail address or even your post online. There are programs where they just type in your ISP info and it can be traced to pretty darn close to where you're at. Freaky freaky!
DS 12 y/o GF/CF/etc. & Recovering from Autism

I Juice Plus+ and sharing it with others. Fruits & veggies in a capsule or soft-chew!
SansSouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
SouthPaw
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

SouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond repute

i don't see how it could be in the photo. now i know digi photos usu. encode time and date and i think exif data (shutterspeed,etc,) sometimes (am i right?? i think soo..) but not your location...
SouthPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

There are certain cameras (that you pay a lot extra for!) that put a GPS marker in with your picture so you can see where you took it. Most cameras don't have that though

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
SouthPaw
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

SouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkie
There are certain cameras (that you pay a lot extra for!) that put a GPS marker in with your picture so you can see where you took it. Most cameras don't have that though
and unless i'm wrong, you could easily fix that for uploading online by just changing the file type (right??) into one that can't contain that data (tell me if i AM wrong)
SouthPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #9
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Some of them put a stamp on the photo, kind of like the date stamp, but other than that it should be pretty easy to get around

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #10
RubySlippers
Deactivated

There's no place like home.

RubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond repute

I right clicked on my photos and looked at the properties. I don't see any sensitive info on them.
Are you saying there is some other way to find out info on the photos?
RubySlippers is offline   Reply With Quote