Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
joyfulmomof2
Rose Trellis

joyfulmomof2 will become famous soon enough
Default My menu list

Ok, here goes. This is rather embarrassing. I came up with 28 days worth of menus and wrote them out. I have not written out the recipes for them or the additions to them yet because I realized how much cheese I am relying on to be our protein. So what I would love is for someone(s) to help me tweak this. I do want to become more of a veggie eater and only have meatless menus here, but I know I cannot do without dairy and eggs just yet. I will make sure that I buy 2% milk cheese and lowfat or non fat dairy items, but this whole menu list just looks so fatty. Can you help me make it more varied, imaginiative, less dairyful, make sure the protein is enough for my growing and young family and less fatty? Please go easy on me. I am really new at this. I love California Rolls very much - can ya tell? But I have no idea what the fat content is in them. I am making meals for myself, my 3 year old and I will have a new baby who I will be bfing and he/she may not be able to handle this much dairy either. Ok, here goes:

1. California Rolls
2. Stirfry veggies, tofu and brown rice
3. Mac and cheese
4. Banana Pancakes
5. Egg Tortillas
6. Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
7. Potato Soup
8. Spaghetti w/veggies
9. Yogurt, nuts, granola, cheese, veggies
10. California Rolls
11. Veggie Soup
12. Veggie Lasagne
13. Hummus and tortillas
14. Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
15. Corn Chowder
16. Bean and Cheese tortillas
17. Smoothies, Guacamole, tortillas and veggies to dip
18. California Rolls
19. Cheese Pizza
20. Cheese dip w/veggies and fruit to dip
21. Cheese and veggie quesadillas
22. Banana Pancakes
23. Egg Tortillas
24. California Rolls
25. Yogurt, granola, nuts, cheese, veggies
26. Cheese Pizza
27. Mac and cheese
28. Noodles, veggies and alfredo sauce

Homeschooling my two sweet kiddos:

Dino - 10 & Princess - 7
joyfulmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My menu list

I am not a vegan nor a vegetarian, but I did notice that you don't have many bean dishes.
Black beans and rice, red beans and rice, veggie chili, and black bean soup are big hits with my 3yo.
HTH!

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #3
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to suggest more bean dishes too. Also, if you are having cheese, my dh and I love to do cheese fondue for dinner. We do it after the kids are in bed, since ds is allergic to casein, but it is an excellent meal. You can buy the cheese fondue at the grocery store or health food store and they are usually in the $5-$8 range I make my own sourdough for dipping and add a bunch of fruit and veggies

OK, now on to other meal ideas:
Baked beans and cornbread
Tacos w/ beans
Fajitas w/ mushrooms in place of meat
Baked ziti
Pinto bean salad
Pasta salad with beans
Peanut spaghetti
Rice and beans
Quiche
Breakfast for dinner (pancakes, eggs, berry french toast, etc)
Veggie chili
Homemade egg rolls (really easy and look pretty - I use broccoli slaw, mushrooms, onions, garlic, and whatever other veggies look good, and saute them until they are a little soft... then roll about a tbsp of that into premade eggroll wrappers and then fry 'em up)
Mexican bowls (black beans, corn, tomato, and you can top it with cheese and bake it if you wish)
Tortilla soup
Pasta with pine nuts and olive oil

...I'm hungry now, lol.

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
MaiMama
Rose Garden

MaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in a carnivirous family, but those all look really good. Like Punkie, I thought about peanuts. On the heartier side, I can give you a recipe for "ground nut stew" (peanut soup) that I learned growing up in Africa. We always have it w/ meat, but it'd be great w/out it, too.

Here's a link to the recipe:

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...7433#msg377433
Trinity Rain - The Matrix, 2004
Jackson Atreyu - The Neverending Story, 2006
Bella Adalyn - Twilight, 2009
and introducing:
Lincoln Ambassador - Fringe, 12/16/2012
remembering Aviva Ata '08
MaiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
joyfulmomof2
Rose Trellis

This is great everyone! Thanks a bunch. I will work on it some more later tonight.

Dino - 10 & Princess - 7
Old 01-12-2006, 08:52 PM   #6
joyfulmomof2
Rose Trellis

Ok, sorry I couldn't post more earlier. I have a few questions. First of all, how do I get past the fact that I have an aversion to black beans and red beans. I have recently gotten past the red bean thing when it was in chili, but I don't really like chili all that much, because I am not really fond of ground beef. But would a chili without ground beef just taste too much like red or Kidney beans? I am also working through the garbanzo beans thing. I like hummus alright as long as it isn't drowned in olive oil. I can't stand the smell of olive oil. I will use it to cook with, but I have to hold my breath. Which kind of filters out the pesto thing for me too.

And my dh would always make black beans and rice. It was ok except he put so much garlic in it. I know that for most of you, you are probably saying what is wrong with that. Well, I like garlic for it's health benefits and all, but I really can't stand smelling it mixed in with black beans. I don't really like to smell it or tasted if after I have eaten anything. I like it in things, but I really prefer to use garlic powder or garlic salt to season things instead of fresh garlic or minced garlic that you find in the produce department. Uuugh. Will I make it as a vegetarian?

Punkie, I love the baked beans and corn bread idea! That sounds very yummy. And I am ok with refried beans, but not just pinto beans cooked. It may be a texture thing. I don't like a lot of refried beans though and they really have to be smothered with something else - tortilla, salsa, lettuce, some cheese or something. kwim?

Any thoughts about this problem? Is it going to present a problem for me as a vegetarian getting enough protein?

Dino - 10 & Princess - 7
Old 01-13-2006, 09:43 AM   #7
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

For chili, we like this recipe: http://vegweb.com/recipes/soup/chili13.shtml
It uses bulgur (cracked wheat - you can buy it in the bulk section at the health food or grocery store) in place of a fake meat. It gives it a nice texture. TVP or other fake ground beef is fine too, but if you're not a fan of ground beef then that's probably not the best choice...

I'm not a big fan of garbonzo beans, but I am finding ways to trick myself into liking them. Last week I made a fake curry chicken salad, using smooshed garbonzo beans in place of the chicken. It was quite good. It takes some getting used to though.

You may want to use more nuts in your recipes until you find bean recipes that you like. There's a lot of good nut recipes out there

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Old 01-13-2006, 09:48 AM   #8
joyfulmomof2
Rose Trellis

Quote:
You may want to use more nuts in your recipes until you find bean recipes that you like. There's a lot of good nut recipes out there.
You know, I didn't really think of that before and we love love love nuts. I will keep trying for beans, but I love cashews and rice and soy sauce for instance instead of beans and rice. Does that work?

I have been reading a lot lately about protein combinations not being as important as nutritionists used to think. What do ya know about that?

Dino - 10 & Princess - 7
Old 01-13-2006, 10:04 AM   #9
Punkie
Administrator

I've heard the same about combinations not being that important anymore.

You may like this recipe... there's a typo in it and it should say cashews instead of peanuts I've been meaning to try it, but haven't yet
http://vegweb.com/recipes/pasta/1505.shtml

Old 01-13-2006, 12:07 PM   #10
joyfulmomof2
Rose Trellis

Ok, that is making me very hungry!! I bookmarked it! Thanks!

Dino - 10 & Princess - 7
Old 01-13-2006, 03:54 PM   #11
Punkie
Administrator

I haven't made a bad recipe from there yet

The other night we had friends over and I made these kabobs and dh threw them on the grill. I just omitted the tofu because I'm not a big fan. They were FANTASTIC. All of the carnivores loved them too! *Beware when you click that there's a kind-of bad word in the title

Edited to fix the link

Old 01-13-2006, 08:16 PM   #12
joyfulmomof2
Rose Trellis

Ok, sounds good!! I love tofu and so does ds. So I am sure we will love it. I am glad that I pigged out for dinner so that I don't have to be tempted by your recipes this evening. lol

Dino - 10 & Princess - 7
Old 01-13-2006, 08:43 PM   #13
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

combinations of proteins are irrelevant They've been discredited and retracted

Quote:
I like hummus alright as long as it isn't drowned in olive oil. I can't stand the smell of olive oil
I don't use olive oil in my hummus

garbanzo beans
garlic
lemon juice
sesame tahini

that's it
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:52 PM   #14
joyfulmomof2
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove
combinations of proteins are irrelevant They've been discredited and retracted

Quote:
I like hummus alright as long as it isn't drowned in olive oil. I can't stand the smell of olive oil
I don't use olive oil in my hummus

garbanzo beans
garlic
lemon juice
sesame tahini

that's it
Cool! That sounds so much better! Thanks. Is it just kind of a 'to taste' amount as far as the garlic, lemon juice and tahini?

You know, speaking of tahini, I have been thinking that ds may be reacting a little to peanut butter. Of course it isn't all natural peanut butter, it is whatever my mom is buying right now. She is not into natural stuff. But anyway, that is all he will eat sometimes. Should I try tahini? He is so picky and so am I about nut butters, though I guess that is a seed butter, but I have tried cashew butter before and didn't like it either. Does it just take a while to get used to these new things?

Dino - 10 & Princess - 7
Old 01-15-2006, 06:31 AM   #15
thomer
Rose Garden

thomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is making me hungry....

You wouldn't mind posting that recipe for California rolls somewhere, would you?