Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 12-08-2005, 12:27 AM   #1
MeandMy4

Default Pros and cons of trampolines

I think that it would be great for kids letting off steam in a confined back garden, but I'm concerned about ds2 falling off, and of 'policing' who's turn it is and how to make it 'off limits' if I needed to

Any thoughts?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:42 AM   #2
Chris3jam

Default Re: Pros and cons of trampolines

We soooo want to get a trampoline for the kids! We had one growing up, and I thought it was great!

But. . . I've heard so many bad things about them. About kids hurting their backs just jumping (not even falling or anything -- just jumping), and I don't think any chiropractor would endorse them.

We still might get one for next Christmas, though, if I can get over my paranoia. Whenever we're been over at someone's house and they have one, the kids have always had sooooo much fun!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 08:19 AM   #3
iplsmama

We have one with the netting on the sides and I wouldn't have it otherwise. I know my kiddos would fall off. We have had no problems and we've had it over a yr. I don't have daredevil kids as of yet though (I'm knocking wood here). They are only 6 and 4, little girls with nary a bold bone in their body. They don't even climb without permission so I barely have to police it. Now as we add kids we'll see. It is absolutely fabulous exercise for mama too. You can't believe how much work it is jumping and great for the pelvic floor muscles after 3 babies
Old 12-08-2005, 08:23 AM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Not to be a party pooper or anything, but here's a link to what the American Academy of Pediatrics says about trampolines:

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...ics;103/5/1053

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute

We have been thinking about getting one someday when we have more property. If we get one I want to dig down and put it at ground level, and also have nets around it. That way it would be a little bit safer.
Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
MeandMy4

Mmmm yes well this was what I suspected, looks like with my 'lively' bunch it could be an accident waiting to happen. I guess I'll have to think of another way for them to let off steam.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #7
Ali

Another thing to consider before you buy:
I don't know how things work in Austrailia, but in the US owning a trampoline can significantly raise your homeowners insurance or even get your policy cancelled. When we bought insurance on our new house, one of the first things the insurance company asked was if we had a pool or trampoline.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:17 PM   #8
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want a trampoline around my house for the same reason I don't want a pond: too dangerous! I can't be around there to supervise the whole time they're around/on it, and the consequences could be awful if I left them alone by it.

We have friends with older kids and a trampoline that don't even blink an eye with their kids flopping all over on that thing. They told the boys to get on up there with the other kids but I told them they couldn't. I could easily see my ds' legs getting caught between the springs and their legs broken or them flying off onto the ground and getting hurt that way. Especially with the other three kids jumping around. Not like it was a stable place for them to play...

Maybe I just need to wrap my kids in bubblewrap ...or wait a few years and my paranoia will wear off.

That said, I did drag Grandma's little exercise trampoline out of the attic last month for the boys. It's one of those ones that is like 3 or 4 feet wide with the cover over the springs. They like to jump on that one. I'm afraid older kids would about that though.
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:35 PM   #9
joystrength
Rose Garden

Get it? Sock.Monkey. ????

joystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud of

My 3yo (!) son broke his leg from the "rebound" of a jump this summer.

And, I'll add, he was jumping with Dad. Yes, it was totally an accident. And yes, I know we didn't heed the 1-person warning. UGH!
How I wish we had!!

SO: If you get a trampoline, please, please follow the warnings. (ask me how I know!!).

His joy IS my strength! Live a life of HIS purpose

How long will it go on? If you keep living the way you are living, then you will keep living the way you are living. If you want your life to change, then CHANGE your life. Live differently, for repentance is a way of life. -- DH!

joystrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:57 PM   #10
sumara

Alicia - here's a really good safe one but it's pretty exxy...
http://www.springfreetrampoline.com.au/

Definitely on my wish list for one day when we can afford it.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:30 AM   #11
MamaBeth

We are getting a minitrampoline shortly, but we don't plan for a large backyard trampoline.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:24 AM   #12
4thekids
Deactivated

Just me! Simple me! Wild me! A little bit crazy me!

4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute4thekids has a reputation beyond repute

Pros: Fun! Fun! Fun! Great exercise. Outdoor entertainment. Fun! Fun! Fun!
Cons: Kids could get hurt.
We have a trampoline that we bought for us. Our children will definately be allowed to use it. We will get a net and we already have a cover for the springs. We don't really let risks stop us from doing things. We use caution and do things as safely as possible but we still do dangerous things. My dh and I have taken 4 kids ages 2-6 mountain hiking. (Like straight up hiking where you have to use all fours to get up and you slide down on gravelly rock like stuff. The 2 yo was a very sturdy 2 yo who rode his bike around standing on the seat so we weren't introducing him to dangerous sports or anything. ) We station ourselves in appropriate catching positions and go with it. The kids love it. We love it. So yup. I would get the kids a trampoline. But that's just me.
4thekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:47 PM   #13
craftinmum

We have a trampoline and it has a safety netting around the perimeter to protect the kids from falling off. My oldest has visited the chiropractor once when he jumped awkwardly, but all in all the chiroprator doesn't have a problem with it, he just encourages us to make sure our son stretches well before using. Our sons are not the rough n tumble type. Mostly they like to run on the thing and roll. They still do jump, but no flips etc. I've told them that the trampoline can be very dangerous, and they are mindfull of that. If you have big jumpers, I would definately recommend the one jumper policy.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:45 AM   #14
MeandMy4

Sumara, thanks so much for the Springfreetramp site, wow I love it, although dh rolled his eyes when I told him the price. I think I'll keep it in mind for Christmas next year and save up. Sounds like it would really do my 2 dss good to jump their cares away. I might even get on it myself for a bit of Comfort Corner, although I'm sure my pelvic floor would protest.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:52 AM   #15
mommylori

I have one and we love it and I have pretty rowdy boys, it has a net all the way around it, so noone can fall out. and it taught adam to walk! I love it, my kids get in and just jumpand jump jump.lol but my oldest is five they don't do many tricks just bounce on there bottom adn bounce up.lol
Lori