Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
gratefulmama

Default cribs?

Do some of you co sleeping mamas even own a crib? I have a very nice one, with a good matress. It holds blankets and toys. My 2 year old likes to climb in and pretend he is going to sleep so we can play "wake up Jeff!" (Wiggles thing) Sometimes I feel like I should put my dd in there when she naps but then when she is actually napping I don't want to risk waking her up.

So instead I think about how much $$ I could get for it and what I would spend the money on (I'd start with a twin mattress on the floorfor napping as she is getting more mobile.) It just seems wierd to think of having babies in the house and no crib. I am having some kind of mental block about this.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:35 AM   #2
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cribs?

We don't cosleep anymore but I did for about two years and yes we owned and used a crib we side cared and used it for naps and start of bedtime once she was mobile MIL took it back when we moved If were here we wont get another their is no room but hopefully we will be somepace where we can. I likes having one personally actually I want an amby bed and I believe that will fit in our room.

Deanna
Old 10-22-2005, 02:24 AM   #3
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

well we used it a some with ds and I can probaby count w/ one hand how many times its was used for sleeping w/ dd.

what we used it for was to put dd in after a bathe while I gathered her jammies. Or for when I was tending to Ds (then 2ish) for a sec and didn't want her crawlign away.

It is in storage. I would love top get rid of it but dh wont let me. :shrig

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:53 AM   #4
Katydid
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Katydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond repute

We had one given to us (second hand) and I think I layed ds in it once and not while he was sleeping. Mostly it was just a really nice cat bed We got rid of it and put in a full sized bed that guests sleep on and will eventually be the kids' bed once they outgrow co-sleeping. This was a much better solution for us and I don't miss the crib at all We still have a pack n play with bassinet insert that we used with ds and will probably use with the next one when we need a safe place to set the baby for a few minutes.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:15 AM   #5
Havilah

We didn't use ours until just recently (James is 2). When James started to lying so he was parallel to the head of the bed we sidecarred the crib to give all of us more room. He loves "his bed" and sleeps there until the early morning hours I reach into the crib and rub his back a couple of times a night to keep him settled. We were tempted to sell it when he was younger, and I'm glad we didn''t.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:40 AM   #6
Dana Joy
Deactivated

AKA "Mommy Piadosa" or on FB "PunkHippyMommy"

Dana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond repute

by this baby we never put the crib together but do use the crib matress on the floor next to our matress. it gives us a little more space
Dana Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:44 AM   #7
DogwoodMama
Deactivated

DogwoodMama is on a distinguished road

Our crib is side-carred & dd will occassionally sleep in it (or at least part-way )
DogwoodMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:47 AM   #8
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

We aren't setting ours up this time. It takes up space and we never used it last time, just put stuff in it all the time. I would like to sell ours too but I keep thinking "what if I sell it and then I need it" I don't know. We have a pack n play and I think that will be enough. We'll see.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:53 AM   #9
Senta
Rose Garden

Senta is a jewel in the roughSenta is a jewel in the roughSenta is a jewel in the rough

I had a crib bought for me as a gift that got no use as a crib. Luckily though it's one that changes into a toddler bed so it's being used now sidecarred with our bed and christel LOVES having her -own- space. So overall I'm really glad we have it, though for a long time it was just used for storage. If a friend hadn't realized we didnt have one and thought we needed one we would have just done without it though. You know how people can be when they realize that you dont have one though.. lol
Senta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:22 PM   #10
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Radosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond repute

I used it with my 1st as we didn't cosleep. It is now in our basement collecting dust. I dunno if it will get used again or not, but I'm keeping it just in case.

Remembering our babies: 12/98 9/99 12/09 1/17
Radosny Matka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:38 PM   #11
gratefulmama

yeah, we side carred with ds because we had a queen sized bed and it then I didn't feel like I was going to fall out of the bed!! I am thinking that a twin mattress on the foor might make more sense for naps and dd can cosleep with us until she is ready to sleep on that at night, or with her brother in his full sized bed. I like our crib, it is a really good one. I don't know if we will have more babies and my thought is we have used hardly used it so why would we start later? It does convert to a toddler but I always nurse dd to sleep.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:14 PM   #12
Wholly Mama

I tried using our crib a few times with ds #1, tried a few times less with ds #2 (2, 3?). I ended up selling it while pg with #3 as we were really getting tired of moving it! #3 is 14 mo and we've been fine without it! I say sell it and use the money in a more useful manner!
Old 11-01-2005, 08:30 PM   #13
Bonnie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bonnie has disabled reputation

Our crib is currently standing against the wall - in pieces - in our guest room because I got tired off walking around it in the nursery. Our two-year-old sleeps on a twin mattress on the floor, and DD 1 year sleeps with us. Wish Wish Wish we had spent the money on getting a King mattress earlier for us rather than on a crib!!!

Mauka & Makai 12/29/08

Occasional "Dorm Mom" to M the wonder student

Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:53 PM   #14
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

My parents bought us a crib when I was PG (we picked it out, though) and I always assumed I would use it. Instead, it was a very luxurious cat bed and a place to dump clean laundry until I had time to put it away.

We've loaned it to some friends who are expecting. The only reason we haven't given it away or sold it is because it converts to a toddler bed and then to a double bed, so I figure we will use it eventually--but not as a crib.

If I had to do it all over again, I would not buy a crib. Every once in awhile I think about all the money that was spent on that crib--the crib itself, the mattress, the sheets, the bed skirt, etc. (all things for which I registered) and I wish it had been better spent. I'd say sell it or give it to someone who will use it.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 07:51 PM   #15
herbalwriter

I use a crib (a gift from cousins) side-carred; I would just co-sleep, but I am so afraid he'll fall off. He is so mobile at night!