Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:59 PM   #1
4blessings

Default "How to" spanking instructions in the bible?

I saw (or read, can't remember which) an interview with the Duggars where they were asked about discipline. They said that they sometimes use time-out but also think that spanking is mandated in the bible, and that the bible gives instructions on how to spank. I must have missed that chapter. What, exactly, are they talking about? Any guesses as to what they're intrepreting as instructions on how to spank?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:45 PM   #2
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "How to" spanking instructions in the bible?

I've heard that from a few places too. Even down to how many swats. I've never understood where they are getting it from either.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What, exactly, are they talking about? Any guesses as to what they're intrepreting as instructions on how to spank?
Gothard manipulates anything to say what he wants. If you believe in him enough, you believe his reasoning.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:28 PM   #4
ShowersofBlessings
Rose Bouquet

ShowersofBlessings is just really niceShowersofBlessings is just really niceShowersofBlessings is just really niceShowersofBlessings is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcollins
Quote:
What, exactly, are they talking about? Any guesses as to what they're intrepreting as instructions on how to spank?
Gothard manipulates anything to say what he wants. If you believe in him enough, you believe his reasoning.
So Gothard *is* the Bible? :/ What passages do the Duggars/Gothard claim give instructions about how to spank???????
Alana 2005 *God's blessing of Grace*
Matthew 2008 *God's blessing of Joy*
David 2010 *God's blessing of Love*

Elysha 2012 *God's blessing of Faith*
Caleb 2014 *God's blessing of Peace*
Olivia 2016*God's blessing of Kindness*
And
Benjamin 2020 *God's blessing of Patience*
ShowersofBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:32 PM   #5
DebraBaker

A prime example of twisting the Bible to suit their pet teachings.

I have yet to have one of these people actually cite a legitimate verse to support Biblically mandated spanking.

Debra Baker
Old 10-19-2005, 07:48 PM   #6
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I believe Gothard has outlined the "rules" that Jesus supposedly gave to Christians and if someone violates these rules then there are connected consequences he's pulled out of verses and I'm sure he's got an outline of how to spank. No, it's not in the Bible
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:51 PM   #7
ShowersofBlessings
Rose Bouquet

ShowersofBlessings is just really niceShowersofBlessings is just really niceShowersofBlessings is just really niceShowersofBlessings is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove
I believe Gothard has outlined the "rules" that Jesus supposedly gave to Christians and if someone violates these rules then there are connected consequences he's pulled out of verses and I'm sure he's got an outline of how to spank. No, it's not in the Bible
My goodness! I'd really like to see this......

One of the rules that I think of right away when I think of what Jesus taught us is this: Love one another, by this people will know that you are my disciples. I remember his messages being about love and treating each other kindly, not about how to spank.....
Alana 2005 *God's blessing of Grace*
Matthew 2008 *God's blessing of Joy*
David 2010 *God's blessing of Love*

Elysha 2012 *God's blessing of Faith*
Caleb 2014 *God's blessing of Peace*
Olivia 2016*God's blessing of Kindness*
And
Benjamin 2020 *God's blessing of Patience*
ShowersofBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:19 PM   #8
Senta
Rose Garden

Senta is a jewel in the roughSenta is a jewel in the roughSenta is a jewel in the rough

You know, I've been reading Luke...and the other night was reading it in The Message and came across this passage:

Luk 9:43 They all shook their heads in wonder, astonished at God's greatness, God's majestic greatness. While they continued to stand around exclaiming over all the things he was doing, Jesus said to his disciples,
Luk 9:44 "Treasure and ponder each of these next words: The Son of Man is about to be betrayed into human hands."
Luk 9:45 They didn't get what he was saying. It was like he was speaking a foreign language and they couldn't make heads or tails of it. But they were embarrassed to ask him what he meant.
Luk 9:46 They started arguing over which of them would be most famous.
Luk 9:47 When Jesus realized how much this mattered to them, he brought a child to his side.
Luk 9:48 "Whoever accepts this child as if the child were me, accepts me," he said. "And whoever accepts me, accepts the One who sent me. You become great by accepting, not asserting. Your spirit, not your size, makes the difference."

In the NKJV Luke 9:48 is:

48 and said to them, “Whoever receives this little child in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me receives Him who sent Me. For he who is least among you all will be great.”

I really like the paraphrase of The Message for that verse...and I hardly think that the same Jesus who said to receive children in His name would have listed ways to spank our children
Senta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:11 PM   #9
Wholly Mama

I checked out a book this summer which outlined how the bible teaches us to spank because I really wanted to know where "these people" were coming from. I started a study on this topic, but haven't finished it. You can look into it yourself!
Here are the verses they have given:

Why spanking is necessary:
Prov 22:15, Prov 29:15, Eph 6:1, Col. 3:20, Prov. 13:24, Heb 12:5,6, James 1:20, Psalm 103:13, Eph 6:4, Heb 12:11
I wrote down a quote from the book, "delayed obedience is disobedience" from this section.

When to give a spanking:
Eph 6:1, Micah 6:8, Eccl 12:13, col 3:20, Isaiah 53:6, 1Sam 15, Jonah 1&2, Psalm 100:2, Phil 2:14, Deut 28:45-47, Isaiah 1:19

How to give a spanking:
Prov 29:15, 13:24, 22:15, 23:13-14
Prov 19:18
Prov 29:17
2Sam 12, Prov 28:13
Luke 3:8, Heb 12:11

Each of these verses were to back up the steps to proper, Biblical spanking. Hmmmm....if it were that easy, steps 1,2,3, why are these verses all over the place? And, in looking through these verses, I still have no clue how they reached these conclusions!!
Old 10-20-2005, 06:05 AM   #10
greenemama
Deactivated

greenemama is on a distinguished road

interesting, amy. what book? you can pm me if you think it prudent not to post it here.

i'm so disgusted by just about anything gothard. i just can't believe the man still has such a following.
greenemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:34 AM   #11
4blessings

Thanks for the verses. I'll have to study those and see if I can figure out where they're coming from.

I was doing a little research last night and came across an article where a mom (who is now a grandma) talks about her DH following Gothard methods and spanking their then 3 y/o. She said something about Gothard saying you should spank until the child is "crying softly" and that "softly bruising " the bottom is ok.

Old 10-20-2005, 06:59 AM   #12
Oliveshoots
Rose Garden

Oliveshoots is just really niceOliveshoots is just really niceOliveshoots is just really niceOliveshoots is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4blessings
She said something about Gothard saying you should spank until the child is "crying softly"
del

I read through about half of those verses....while there are a few that I can see where they get their ideas (mainly because of misinterpretation of "the rod") there are others that it really burns me up to see how those verses are being used out of context. For example: Micah 6:8 is one of my FAVORITE verses, (and favorite praise choruses, too) "He has shown you, o man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you: but to DO JUSTICE, and to LOVE MERCY, and to walk HUMBLY with your God." HOW is that taken to mean we are to spank?????? If anything, I take that to mean we are to show our children mercy and do it humbly. Mix that with the verses about the "rod" and I get a parenting philosphy in which I am to be humble, merciful, but yet to teach my child to be disciplined in the ways of God.
Kristen<br />Wife to David<br />Mom to ds (8-17-03) and dd (12-21-04)<br />Jesus is my bail-out. The Holy Spirit is my stimulus package. His blessings of family and friends are my recovery acts. &quot;Those who have been required to memorize the world as it is will never create the world as it might be.&quot; ~Judith Groch
Oliveshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:12 AM   #13
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh, good, well then that means I would NEVER have to spank my child, because he is SCREAMING HYSTERICALLY if I even try to hold him on my lap when he wants to get down
No, unfortunately that is not what they mean. They would take hysterical screaming as defiance and rebellion. In their approach, you spank them until you break their will and all they can do is 'softly cry'. (that was amazingly creepy to even type )

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:53 PM   #14
DebraBaker

Creeps me out as well.

I don't see the value in beating a child into submission. Is that a real victory when the child's will didn't stand a chance.

The Bible actually tells children to obey their parents it says nothing about parents coercing obedience.

G-d gave us free will. He didn't beat us and force us to love and obery Him.. rather He has been patient with us. Shouldn't we pattern our parenting after G-d?

Debra Baker