Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:29 PM   #1
OliveJuice
Deactivated

Lord, I want to feel with Your heart, See the world through Your eyes

OliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ummm totally new to this!!

Ok, I am a total meat eater........don't think that will ever change! I don't eat beef though. Well my 9 yo has come to me and pronounced he is an "EGG A TARIAN" Which means he will not eat eggs. He says he feels bad for the baby chicks. I don't have a problem at all with him saying this, doing this. In fact I want to encourage what *he* believes and feels. (though getting dh to respect a 9 yo opinion on this is a little umm let's say difficult!!!!) Ds knows about what being a vegetarian is and what vegan is.

What kinds of things does he need to eat if he is not eating eggs and meat. We eat a lot of dried beans, but not nearly enough to replace eggs and meat. What other things could he be eating to get his iron and protein that his body and brain need?????
OliveJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #2
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default Re: Ummm totally new to this!!

Quote:
Plant sources of iron include peas, beans, nuts, dried fruits, leafy green vegetables (especially spinach), enriched pastas and breads, and fortified cereals.
From http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/0712.html
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:36 AM   #3
Desert Rose
Rose Garden

formerly known as apronstrings

Desert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud of

If it makes him feel better, he could eat cage free eggs. Does he know that eggs are not undeveloped chicks? That sounds dumb, but I am embarrassed to say that I didn't know this until I was about 25. I didn't know hens laid eggs even in the absence of a rooster. I guess that makes sense...we pass eggs regularly, too.
If he definitely wants to give this up, then I wish him well!
Does he still eat dairy? I know it's bad, but that's where I get a lot of my protein (yogurt and cheese mostly).

"When a culture simply shrugs about what happens to people in war, it breaks the fragile sequence, the bond between all people." -- Michael Meade.

Celebrating Family - Come see my new blog! (and vote for it here).
Desert Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:23 AM   #4
OliveJuice
Deactivated

Lord, I want to feel with Your heart, See the world through Your eyes

OliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond reputeOliveJuice has a reputation beyond repute

Yes he still eats dairy. Dh explained to him that eggs are not chicks, that the father chicken didn't do his part to make a chick, so there is no chick, kwim? He gets that, but it is very hard to change his mind about something, especially if *he* thinks he is right
OliveJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:14 AM   #5
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

I just had this conversation with my kids. My 4 year old was making my 6 year old cry because she loves boiled eggs, and he told her she was eating babies. I had to straighten out the whole idea, but it kinda turned my 6 year old off of eggs, she hasn't asked for any lately, and she usually loves them.
I went vegetarian when I was twelve, my mom completely respected it, but she didn't cook meals around my preferences, I could pick and choose what I wanted from dinner, but I was still expected to eat with the family. I was a vegetarian from age 12 to 20. Then I craved red meat with my first pregnancy lol, I never went back. I guess my convictions weren't strong enough to outlast my cravings :P
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:42 PM   #6
GrowingInGrace

Best sources for Iron (and calcium as well!) are grains like Teff, Aramanth, Quinoa; greens like collard, kale and spinach; nuts such as almonds and dried fruits (raisins, turkish apricots, cherries). Beans are also rich in iron.

Protein is in everything natural (ie whole plant, not processed necessarily). Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, lots of beans (dried AND raw such as edamame and green/string), lots of nuts--both peanuts and tree nuts and lots of seeds. There are vegetarian analogs, but those aren't necessarily that healthy so I'd use them sparingly if at all. Tofu is another good occasional replacement, good in stir-fry, etc. Nutritional yeast flakes are high in protein (and some trace minerals/vitamins) and taste good added to many foods or sprinkled on buttered toast.

Really though, most people (american/western) eat far more protein than their bodies need. Too much protein leads to weaker bones and things like kidney problems.

Try to eat a widely-varied diet of whole fruits, vegetables and grains (raw when possible on all those) and he should do just fine. [f]
Old 07-19-2005, 12:26 PM   #7
memory maker
Banned

memory maker is on a distinguished road

if you use blackstrap molasses you can get 20% of both iron and calcium
memory maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:10 PM   #8
asher

I have no advice, but I can relate. My ds is practically a vegetarian, he loves tofu & eggs & yogurt, but he VERY rarely eats meat. This all started after he saw a skeleton in an encyclopedia, then saw me cook bone in chicken & hasn't eaten meat since. I'm glad to find a group of Mamas who respect their children's choices & see them as individuals

Tina
Old 08-09-2005, 06:31 AM   #9
Lilyflower

Soya-based meat substitutes such as bean-curd or tofu are very nutritious. In the UK we have quorn which is very high in protein. However, the soya meat-substitutes are much more nutritious. You can also try giving him plenty of spinach and other green vegetables. Lentils are also very nutritious. Try following some sort of Indian-style diet. Eg. lentils with rice. If you put spinach into curry, it will disguise the flavour if your child is a fussy eater. You really need to be very imaginative with a vegan diet. Another good place to look for tasty vegetarian recipes is a mexican cook-book. (I think it's mexican) I'm talking about 'Old El Paso' type food with refried beans and tortillas. He can have them with tomatoes and cheese. These are also very high in protein. For tasty bean-curd recipes, try looking into chinese or japanese cookery books. The soya substitutes can be very well disguised by a curry flavour sauce. (Sometimes soya substitutes may not taste that nice on their own.)

Anyway, I think it's great that your son is forming a conscience at such a young age. He is a credit to you.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:56 AM   #10
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflower
In the UK we have quorn which is very high in protein.
We have quorn here too. Its my favorite of the "fake" chicken products.

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote