Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
gratefulmama

Default How do you all do it?

Okay so it seems like a lot of you have a ton of different carriers, how do you do it? They aren't cheap. I have a ring sling but my dd is 4 months and wants to face out but doesn't seem to likethe kangaroo carry (which ds loved so I don't know what is different) plus my back hurts. So I want to try a CnC or an Ergo but I don't have the funds, I love the puches, I made a wrap (well I cut some fabric in half anyways) but there is the whole facing out problem with that, plus it is kind of ugly fabric. Do most of you make all these different carriers? I want something for the pool too. My mom is a genius with the sewing machine but how do I know the sizing?

AHHHHH so many options!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Lantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you all do it?

I dont even own one, so I dont have a clue! if i dont get one before the baby comes ill improvise.
Lantern Light Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:39 PM   #3
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

I made mine. And I'm far from a genius with the sewing machine - most are really pretty simple.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #4
Lyn
Deactivated

Newlyweds! September 30, 2010

Lyn is just really niceLyn is just really niceLyn is just really niceLyn is just really niceLyn is just really nice

I've made some of mine -- really not too difficult -- and I also have found some at consignment shops. Plus, being on child #3 I've had the opportunity to collect them. lol
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:18 PM   #5
Beck

I'm not a seamstress but I made mine. It's amazing what you can do with a big strip of fabric.

Here's a link to a whole bunch of free patterns that may help. http://www.mammasmilk.com/pages/makeyourown.php
Old 07-07-2005, 04:00 AM   #6
BHope
Rose Garden

Finding the Good

BHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond repute

My ring slings (asides from Nojo) are home made. As is my stretchy wrap. (12.00 Euro's bought me enough material to make two 6 ft wraps.) I recently mastered making an Asian Baby Carrier thanks to Rev Jan and Frankenkosy... So yeah, I save money by making my own. I am excited about heading stateside in October, just because of all the fabrics available at reasonable rates.

I bought my patapum through a coop, and the two bjorns that I used early on in DD's life were second hand through ebay and a thrift shop.

My sister gave me a snuggly when DD was first born, and my Mom found the Nojo for 7 dollars at a baby store.

About the only thing that I have really forked money out on is my Didymos. But that was a special buy, courtesy of a very generous husband.

Oh, we did spend quite a bit on the Deuter Comfort Kids III... but we bought it because we needed it for a backpacking vacation we took last September. Sadly haven't used the Deuter nearly enough to justify the expense.

I'd love to pick up a Sachi Mei Tai this summer... but will probably sell the two bjorns, snuggly, and nojo to help fund the expense.

DD1 (8 years old)
DD2 (6 years old)
DD3 (4.5 years old)

Eternally missing DFS3 (stored safely in our hearts) and DFS1
Praying for Little R as she transitions into a new family.
May you always know God's love and His comfort.
BHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:22 AM   #7
gratefulmama

So alot of you are making sling etc, that's cool. I want to figure out how, I know my mom can help when she is back from Guatemala. Now I just need to find a place that sells fabrics. I went to JoAnne's and hated it, it was very junky and cluttered and they didn't have much of a selection and the cutting lady was totally rude to me

I know there must be a good place around here, anyone from the Portland area here that can give me tips??
Old 07-07-2005, 09:25 AM   #8
DogwoodMama
Deactivated

DogwoodMama is on a distinguished road

I actually don't think you need that many carriers... I think one is all that is needed and beyond that is gravy. I love my CnC, but if I had to choose one it would be my ring sling which I bought from Jan Andrea & believe it was less than $30.
DogwoodMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:58 AM   #9
Lyn
Deactivated

Lyn is just really niceLyn is just really niceLyn is just really niceLyn is just really niceLyn is just really nice

Oh! There is a really wonderful fabric shop in Portland. I'll ask my local sewing mamas what it's called.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #10
gratefulmama

I guess it isn't that I really want a lot of carriers, I think I haven't found the perfect one yet. That's why I want to try making some, I really believe in babywearing but am having a really hard time implementing it.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:02 PM   #11
Lyn
Deactivated

From re-reading your first post I think you would find a wrap the most comfortable. You don't need to sew to make one. Just use knit fabric because it doesn't fray. You'll need a piece about 5 yards long and 2 feet wide. I had my favorite tying instructions bookmarked, but now I can't find them. I'll look around. Anyhow, the wraps are so comfortable.

edit:
I found the page I was looking for.
http://www.hugabub.com/flex/tying_the_hugabub/89/1
Old 07-07-2005, 07:02 PM   #12
ChristineG

I sew mine. I think it is very easy to get caught up in consumerism or the myth of the 'perfect' carrier or just the idea that there is always something better out there that you might find. I really believe that once you find a carrier that is comfortable there is no reason to keep searching for a bazillion new and improved carriers. You are right...they are very expensive! I think that people do benefit from owning a few different types of carriers for different stages or situations. For example, a backpack with a lot of buckles is impractical and unsafe for putting a newborn into when doing work around the house. However, not too many people find carrying a 2.5yo toddler in a ring sling during a 3-mile hike to be a picnic. I have found the mei tai to be a lifesaver for use with my 18mo while I am pregnant. I made mine and am very, very happy with it. I am really looking forward to trying it with my new baby. If your mom can sew, a mei tai needs very little sizing, really, since it ties on, so with one of the free internet patterns, you are unlikely to go wrong.

Of the carriers I own, the ones I have sewn have cost under $10. The purchased carriers I have include two Heart to Heart Slings, bought second hand in great condition for $20 and $5 each, a baby Trekker bought 11 years ago for $70, and a backpack carrier bought 10 years ago for about $100. That's it.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:31 PM   #13
gratefulmama

I am so excited there is a baby wearing thing in Portland tomorrow, they said bring your carriers and they will help trouble shoot and they will have ones to try out too (slings, pouches Ergo etc). I did a wrap and I love it and my dd does! not she keeps pushing on me 'cause she want to look out and she squirms a lot and fusses I am pretty sure because she doesn't like being so contained, she pushes and kicks at the sling too when I put her in the kangaroo hold. I think she will like the hip carry when she is big enough, and I hope so because I like the simplicity of the sling. I am hoping I can try the mei tai tomorrow at this thing, I found out about it at MDC. I will have to bring both kids which means stroller for my two year old but I can't carry 50+lbs of baby It sounds like the mei tai might work for us. If not I might just have to stuggle through things for a while until dd can handle the hip carry or something.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #14
Vipers_Princess
Rose Garden

Vipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh. I have looked at the instructions for all the pouches, and I feel like I'm doing this trying to understand them... Ugh. I really want a pouch, especially for the first month or so, but I despair of ever being able to make one...

Oh & apparently I'm an INTP
Vipers_Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 07:33 AM   #15
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Radosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond repute

I started collecting when I was pg. Some I saved for, others I sold stuff on e-bay and got the $ for them that way.

Remembering our babies: 12/98 9/99 12/09 1/17
Radosny Matka is offline   Reply With Quote