Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 05-14-2005, 04:07 PM   #1
purplerose

Default Kindermuzik............

does anyone know anything about this program? Or does anyone use it? Or go to it? I just found a lady in our neighborhood who teaches it and I signed my kids up for it for a music camp this summer. Is it worth the money? It's going to cost $80 for the first child and then $60 for the second child. It is 5 days long and goes for 1hr15min per day. The cost includes the tuition, the take-home package (a CD and crafts and an insturment) and the snacks and crafts the kids do relating to the song. It seemed expensive, but online at kindermusic.com that was the going price. Is it worth it? Any thoughts?!
Old 05-14-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
ChristineG

Default Re: Kindermuzik............

We haven't done the week long thing, but I have been taking my 3yodd to Kindermusik once a week for the 15 week program and we LOVE it. I am so grateful to my mom, who agreed to watch 17modd and hs the other two kids for me every week when I take dd. I just really wanted to do something special for her, the third child, who doesn't usually get something special JUST for her, like a music lesson. It has been terrific. We love the at home materials. I can't say that I will do it again, but not because of the program. It is fantastic, well worth the money. It is just that our life really doesn't allow for much of this kind of thing. It is more of a treat...and Kindermusik has been that.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:35 AM   #3
greenemama
Deactivated

greenemama is on a distinguished road

i'm a kindermusik educator!

i haven't taught this year since we moved to a new state but am planning on teaching a summer camp this summer to get the word out in the community before fall.

of course i think it's worth the money. henry went to KM classes from four months onward. the cds are great, the dances, etc., in class are lots of fun. i really enjoyed it and was sad that we didn't find a good teacher here when we moved. that's part of the reason i'm wanting to start up the classes again.

every piano student that i've had who has "graduated" from KM and come straight into piano is much more prepared for piano lessons than the kiddos who start without KM. by prepared i mean they are more musically inclined, have a good sense of rhythm, and right off the bat they have a good attention span for the duration of the lessons.

the home materials that you get for the summer camps are really nice. i think that the costs you've listed are average, bigger cities charge more than that, smaller have to charge less.

the nice thing about the camp is that it's a great introduction to KM. the weekly classes during the academic year are a little different in pace and style.

let us know how it goes!
greenemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 08:23 AM   #4
Reva
Rose Trellis

Reva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond repute

We loved Kindermusick! (or should I say Emmie did?? ) We only stopped going b/c her last class happened to be the week I had Matthew, and I've just been to overwhelmed to get her back in it. But she's been asking to go back to music class, so we'll probably start back when the new semester starts! I think it was $60 for the materials and then $30 or $35/month.
Forever missing my sweet R (HLHS) and the baby we never got to meet.
Reva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 04:00 PM   #5
SandKsmama

We're doing Kindermusik right now, and we love it. They are doing a "trial" of a family class (meaning a class where you can bring several children of different ages) and we have had a wonderful time! I've really seen growth and learning in both of my kiddos(ages 4 and 21 months). The *only* drawback for me would be the cost - if this class weren't offered to us free, I wouldn't have been able to afford it. But that doesn't mean I don't think it's worth the money, just for our family that is quite a lot of money.

Amanda
Old 05-17-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
Mamatoto
Deactivated

Mamatoto is on a distinguished road

We did a trial class a few weeks ago and my dd loved it.

I was a bit concerned that there was some slight pressure to get the "right" answers to questions that the teacher asked about numbers and such, but I'm just a bit more relaxed about that stuff than most, I think, since I don't really care for formal schooling until they are 6-7.
I am still debating if I will have the money and if I want to spend the money...but dd still talks about it and does her homework from the trial class all the time and says she will take it to the class in the "fall".
Mamatoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:54 PM   #7
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Another rave review here! We loved it when the boys were little. I couldn't really afford it, but the teacher was a friend and she gave me a discount in exchange for babysitting for her kids during other sessions she taught.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:45 AM   #8
greenemama
Deactivated

greenemama is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was a bit concerned that there was some slight pressure to get the "right" answers to questions that the teacher asked about numbers and such, but I'm just a bit more relaxed about that stuff than most, I think, since I don't really care for formal schooling until they are 6-7.
there should NEVER be that kind of pressure in a KM class.
greenemama is offline   Reply With Quote