Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:07 AM   #1
grandmama

Default Clay and Sally Clarkson

I just picked up some books by these authors because they came highly recommended by some folks here. Has anyone else read them and are you interested in discussing them?
Old 04-12-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clay and Sally Clarkson

I'm almost finished with The Mission of Motherhood and getting ready to read the fathering one.

(I got the name of the book wrong the first time!)
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

I have Heartfelt Discipline and The Mission of Motherhood on my bookshelf. I've given them a good look-over (not a thorough reading, unfortunately.) I think they have a lot of really good things to say, and what excites me is that -the Clarksons speak the language of those in the conservative homeschooling Christian circles that often find their way to Ezzo, Pearl, Fugate. Hopefully the Clarksons are earning a hearing with many.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:00 PM   #4
tree_hugger

I have The Mission of Motherhood and I constantly re-read and refer to it. I find it so inspiring, it is an aweseome book.

I understand the Clarksons *used* to be punitive and spank their children, but has some kind revelation and converted to GBD.

Here is a quote from the Amazon description of Heartfelt Discipline by Clay Clarkson.

Quote:
At last, here is a faith-directed approach to discipline that spares the rod but doesn’t spoil the children. Through biblical advice, answers to commonly asked questions, and positive encouragement, Clay Clarkson presents a new, biblical model of discipline–one that allows parents to embrace a completely new way of thinking about childhood discipline, renew their relationships with their children, and transform the dynamics of their family life.
I haven't read it yet, but I would like to. I'd also like to read The Ministry of Motherhood, by Sally.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:40 PM   #5
chelsea
Rose Garden

chelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of light

I bought "Heartfelt Discipline" on the weekend and will read it as soon as I'm done reading "Jesus on Parenting" by Teresa Whitehurst. I can't wait, as I have never read Christian non-punitive books before and I am greatly anticipating them!!
Old 04-26-2005, 12:16 PM   #6
LoveToReadMommy

"Heartfelt Discipline" is the book that started me on the journey from being a punative/spanker tripp/ezzo follower to GBD and you all!!!! One night, after another screaming frustrating event with oldest dd, I went to the Christian bookstore and bought 5 parenting books. I started reading his, and couldn't put it down. It changed our life. Then I was doing an internet search and found GCM!

Mission of Motherhood is an amazing book, I give it to all first time mom's.

I love the Clarksons, all the posts have summed it up really well. I feel like they have done more to mentor me than anyone IRL. (I should give credit to Crystal too from here)

Old 04-26-2005, 01:39 PM   #7
mama2mychildren
Deactivated

mama2mychildren is on a distinguished road

Love, love, love "Mission of Motherhood". It sounds cheesy but it completely changed me and my response to motherhood. I would love to discuss it. I'm also planning on picking up "The Ministry of Motherhood" but not sure how it differs from Mission...
mama2mychildren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:39 AM   #8
LoveToReadMommy

I have Ministry too, but haven't read it yet, because I want to re-read Mission. But I've been doing a lot of reading in the GBD area, so I probably won't get to Ministry soon. Maybe we could do an on line group thing with it sometime. We're doing that in the Gentle Discipline forum now with "Easy to Love Difficult To Discipline". It's neat.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:48 AM   #9
tree_hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToReadMommy
Mission of Motherhood is an amazing book, I give it to all first time mom's.
Me too!
Old 04-30-2005, 02:46 PM   #10
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Educating the Wholehearted Child is a really good book for homeschoolers to read.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote