Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:36 PM   #1
Irene

Default Does goat milk have casein?

okay, so we are on a cfgf diet, and does goat milk have casein? I know Crystal was saying she is eating it now and no ill affects (effects? )

the youth group has a coffee stand to raise money and a friend who is also "dairy free" for her bfing ds brought some of her own goat milk to make a latte out of. She wanted to share with me, so I said okay... mmm so good!!! so I havent felt sick yet, nursed ds to sleep... so we'll see I guess. Im so scared he will get sick I know my allergy test said I was allergic to casien, but dont know if goats has it or not. I dont want to get sick either.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default Re: Does goat milk have casein?

Well, casein is the protein in cow's milk. As with gluten . . . I don't know if it would be called casein in goat milk, but it would not be cow casein. Unless you are also allergic to goat milk you should be okay
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
Irene

so, okay, Im trying to learn more here, sorry Im going on about it sometimes

When ds was born and had dairy intolerance I read the "list" that said all the hidden names of dairy and goat milk was included.
AND all the cfgf people with autism and all that, say no goats milk too, right? wouldnt goat be included in "dairy"?

so ds was up all night last night and I dont know if it was the latte or teething or what. its not like its terribly unusual for him to not sleep :/

im just thinking that if we were able to have goats it would really change our lives, BUT we have been going this long without it, so its not like it would really change things if we couldnt.

oh, and is potassium lactate from milk? we had some turkey dogs last night and now dd has been having SUPER big feelings all day and fell asleep on the way home this morning at 11 Im thinking maybe it was the dogs? maybe thats why ds couldnt sleep either? (he didnt eat them, but I did). sorry, this was really rambly
Old 03-28-2005, 02:38 PM   #4
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

well I hadn't heard that goats milk is avoided on a gf/cf diet. we haven't really had a problem. I do know that some people who are allergic to milk are also allergic to goat's milk, but not all. Kind of like lots of people allergic to diary are also allergic to soy, but not all. so I found some lists and sure enough . . . goat's milk is on the list of unacceptable foods. hmmmm But the kids really do seem to do fine.

potassium lactate
Quote:
Lactate is applied in a wide range of cured and uncured meat and poultry products across the world. Sodium and potassium lactate are clear, syrupy liquids derived from lactic acid, which is naturally present in animal tissue.
from http://www.foodquality.com/Feature12.htm That is probably what is causing the problems Potassium Caseinate is on the list of not okay for cf eating but not potassium lactate.

and I found this on goat's milk versus cow's milk
Quote:
Different protein. Goat milk protein forms a softer curd (the term given to the protein clumps that are formed by the action of your stomach acid on the protein), which makes the protein more easily and rapidly digestible. Theoretically, this more rapid transit through the stomach could be an advantage to infants and children who regurgitate cow's milk easily. Goat's milk may also have advantages when it comes to allergies. Goat's milk contains only trace amounts of an allergenic casein protein, alpha-S1, found in cow's milk. Goat's milk casein is more similar to human milk, yet cow's milk and goat's milk contain similar levels of the other allergenic protein, beta lactoglobulin. Scientific studies have not found a decreased incidence of allergy with goat's milk, but here is another situation where mothers' observations and scientific studies are at odds with one another. Some mothers are certain that their child tolerates goat's milk better than cow's milk, and mothers are more sensitive to children's reactions than scientific studies.
from here http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032400.asp

So I'm really not giving you any answers Sorry for that. I know we've been eating way too much goat cheese--but when I'm back as the primary food maker I can do more to cut that out. I can do lots of cheese substitute stuff, but dh has come a long way in the kitchen, just not that far
Old 03-28-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
Irene

thanks! I found that potassium lactate sight too after I posted here :P Kinda grosses me out now
I also realized that these dogs have gluten in them too :/ they arent like a daily eating thing though I guess I just passed over the ingredients

Interesting on the goats milk thing .... I have heard both sides, some say no way, some say, its okay etc etc. so, maybe an experiment is in order not sure I would be able to handle it though after today
Old 03-28-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

I'd probably wait until the system is clean again
Old 04-08-2005, 08:22 AM   #7
Quietspirit
Deactivated

Quietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond repute

We avoid goat's milk (my son is fatally allergic to both whey and caesin). The reason being is that goat's milk protein, although not cow milk protein, is similar is some respects to cow milk protein. So, our allergist told us to not give it to our son.
Quietspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:03 AM   #8
Irene

okay thanks quietspirit. I havent tried it yet for dd because Im just too scared. ds seemed fine when I drank it though if she cant have it I dont even want it in the house.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #9
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Well, a bit of an update. We were eating way too much of it and I knew it (but it was one thing I could feed everyone and we'd all enjoy it, it was easy, and I didn't get food battles which I couldn't handle at the time!) And we all eventually got congested and sick We talked about it last weekend and everyone agreed to give it up for a month and see if we felt better. So far we do I think we'll go back to eating it every now and then at my mom's
Old 04-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #10
Irene

interesting....

I was also going to add, that my allergy test came back I was allergic to casein (obviously not fatally since Im still around ) but my doctor told me it was okay to have goats :/ maybe I should just stay away from it altogether! we've been doing fine without it!
Old 04-10-2005, 12:49 PM   #11
Gailmegan
Deactivated

Gailmegan is on a distinguished road

Hmmm...Without being a scientist, I can't really compare the chemical makeup of cow's milk with goat's milk, perhaps it really depends on which things in the cow's milk your body is rejecting to know if you are ok with goat's milk - maybe the casein is different enough. All I know is that one of my close friends is DEATHLY allergic to cow's milk, and she eats goat's milk products all the time. Not that that helps you, but I guess I would agree with Crystal to wait until you know nothing else questionable is in your system then try a little goat cheese if you feel you would like to eat it.
Gailmegan is offline   Reply With Quote