Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
LadybugSam
Deactivated

ladybug, ladybug fly away home

LadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Caleb's iron is low

what can i do to help. He doesn't eat a lot of meat, what else can i give him. His hemoglobin was at 10.5 today, the Dr gave me a suppliment to give him 2X a day. What else can i do to help?
LadybugSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Caleb's iron is low

What supplement did the doctor give him? Some do more harm than good.

I used to have an entire list of iron rich foods in my head, for Samantha, but I don't remember them all now.

Whole grains of all kinds, including rice
Blackstrap molasses (can be added to oatmeal)
Kidney beans
Sunflower seeds
Chickpeas (I have a recipe for adding it to whole grain couscous, with a little blackstrap molasses)
Broccoli
Peas
Potatoes with the skin (you can even mash them with the skins on or whip through a food processor)
Any dark green leafy vegetable (brussel sprouts are a favorite here)
Watermelon (my favorite)
Dark skinned grapes (I wonder if raisins should be on the list)
Dates or prunes

Eat foods high in vitamin C with a high iron food. Eat foods high in calcium at a different time. A tiny bit of red meat eaten with these foods dramatically boosts the amount of iron absorbed.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
LadybugSam
Deactivated

LadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond repute

on the bottle the name is abreviated "Ferrous Sulf"

1/2 tsp, 2X a day by mouth

The Dr said to put it in orange juice
Old 09-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

ACK! Do not give him ferrous sulf if you want him to poop again!

Go get ferrous glucomate or Chlorophyll and put it in juice. Chlorophyll works fastest and makes the juice a really cool Shrek green.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I second the recommendation for chlorophyll. It's a fantastic blood builder!
Old 09-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

kym has a post in the stickies for this forum on iron I believe....

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

The sticky:
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...?topic=37280.0

I would absolutely NOT give ferrous sulfate. Firstly, it is more harmful than beneficial. Did you know that the body is only capable of absorbing a minute amount of iron at a time, and anything additional is not excreted, but often stored largely in bone marrow? And excess iron stores in marrow lead to many serious issues, such as type 2 diabetes, vascular disease, heart attack, liver disease/cancer, gallstones, osteoarthritis, infertility, hypothyroidism, and hypogonadism, to name a few? (Source).

Excessive iron stores exceed the body's capacity to chelate iron, and free iron accumulates. This unbound iron promotes free radical formation (cancers,tissue & organ damage..) in cells.

I am baffled at how many peds casually write off scripts for iron supplements in dangerously high doses, often for barely borderline hemoglobin levels...like your childs. Normal hemoglobin values for children are 11-13. A 10.5 should easily be "treated" nutritionally, not through the least absorbable type of iron avaialable. My ds has a mild-ish genetic blood disease (beta thal minor) and his team (ped, ped hematologist) is happy with a level 10 or higher, prefering 10.5 to 11.5.

It angers me to read of other mothers being told to give their dc toxic levels of a poorly absorbed iron. When my ds was four and our ped at the time told me he was iron-deficient anemic, I was so eager to do whatever she said. I ran and filled the script, and gave it to him exactly as dosed, twice a day. By the fourth day, he had horrible tummy aches, constipation, and almost no appetite whatsoever. He was crying cause his tummy hurt so bad. I called his ped and was told that those symptoms were normal but I still needed to give him the iron or he might have serious issues such as heart problems from being anemic. That led to a LOT of Internet research, including personal communications with the wonderful Dr. Elson Haas who runs a large integrative health clinic as well as authored a ton of books on natural health and nutrition, and in depth personal visits with alternative pediatrician & founder of Kids Wellness herbals, Dr. Eric Rydland .

I also took my ds to a ped hemotologist, who agreed with Dr. Haas that ferrous sulfate was for the birds and suggested gluconate or chelated form instead (not easy to find for children ). Not long after, we discovered his beta Thal, and I learned even more about the role of iron and the dangers of large dose supplementation so common in ped practices.

Almost four years later, our routine when hemoglobin levels dip low, which would be the same with or without the beta Thal, is Floradix with Iron mixed in a glass of OJ, Hemopathic ferum phos (iron salts) - which also helps the body regulate temp so is great to have around the house anyway, children's dose of herbal nettles (dandelion, comfrey, and yellow dock are also great if you can't find nettles), and spirulina/kelp smoothies (we love the choco-peanut butter flavored Spirutein mix). I also give a very high quality children's vitamin, brands Rainbow Light Nutristars are a favorite here). This routine still astounds the ped team, because within two weeks instead of the typical 3 months, hemoglobin levels are back up in a strong range. Do they ask what I'm doing, or write down what I tell them? No, they keep dispensing the toxic gack. So I try to tell as many people as I can, and hope others educate themselves and spread what they learn to someone when they see the opportunity. PTL, it has been three years since we had anemia issues, despite my son's Thalessemia.

A few important things:

Tannins in tea reduce iron absorbancy. (so does caffeine, but I'm pretty certain you're not giving that to your dc )

Soy inhibits iron absorbancy to some degree. I keep it to a minimum when supplementing.

Calcium interferes with iron absorbancy, so be sure not to give calcium supplements. And if you consume dairy beverages, I would STRONGLY recommend replacing them immediately with almond, hazelnut, rice or oat milks in yummy vanilla flavors.

Folate in citrus aids iron absorbancy. I always give iron supplementation with a tall glass of O.J.

Nutritional yeast is high in B12, which will help the body utilize iron effeciently. I ONLY recommend the KAL brand flakes (because every other brand/type we've tried is not nearly as yummy), and make sure it's not brewer's yeast, which is an entirely different and rather disgusting tasting product. We love them sprinkled on buttered popcorn, blended into cheese sauces (mac & cheese), and used in place of parmesan cheese in spaghetti sauce.

Hopefully this has been encouraging to you, mama, and helped bring some peace instead of the panic commonly felt after a doctors visit like that. You didn't do anything wrong or neglect your child in any way, borderline low hemoglobin levels are very normal in early childhood, and easily overcome with some gentle nutritional and natural supplemental help.

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #8
LadybugSam
Deactivated

Thank you so very much

I just knew it couldn't be right. I left the dr's office thinking that i REALLY needed to get on GCM and check this out. I was just a little bit in shock that we went in for a normal check up with no concerns about his health, and then walked out of the dr's office with two different prescriptions. (the other was for a multivitamin with floride)

I really don't know how i'd get along without you

Off to read more on those links
Old 09-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #9
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:09 AM   #10
Mert
Rose Garden

Mert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie
Chickpeas (I have a recipe for adding it to whole grain couscous, with a little blackstrap molasses)
Hey, Natalie, could you share this recipe? Ds also has a problem with low iron, but he LOVES "ku-ku". Thanks!!
Mert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #11
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Posted.
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...topic=137296.0
Old 10-03-2007, 10:20 AM   #12
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

Quinoa is also a great source of iron among many other things. One tiny box makes a huge amount and it can be added to just about anything. As a sweet porridege, as pilaf, in soup, mixed in rice, my favorite is in cookies!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

"Nutritional value
Quinoa was of great nutritional importance in pre-Columbian Andean civilizations, being secondary only to the potato, and followed in third place by maize. In contemporary times this crop has come to be highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content (12%–18%) is very high. Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete foodstuff. This means that unlike wheat protein, one does not need to supplement it with complementary foods such as legumes containing the other essential amino acids. It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered as a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration manned spaceflights."

me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #13
Rachel J

Purplebutterfly- GREAT information about iron. My ds2 was 10 weeks premature and of course, anemic. I wish I had know all of this a year ago when the NICU had him on PolyViSol (vile stuff). I finally got Floradix after months of giving him the Poly on and off (and his ped pushing me to be more consistent) and it finally resolved his anemia. I'm half-tempted to print your post and take it to my ped. Maybe he'll start making healthier recommendations. It breaks my heart that through medical ignorance we risk our children's health attempting to improve it.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #14
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I am so glad you got the info not to take that Rx for iron! It is awful and is truly toxic, IMO.

Floradix, as mentioned by Rachel, does have a children's formula but I've not used it myself.

Quinoa is a GREAT grain, too!
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #15
LadybugSam
Deactivated

Default Re: Caleb's iron is low *update*

I wanted to update you. I stopped giving him the iron suppliment that day. Made sure he took his multivitamin with iron in it, and cut out a LOT of dairy that was in his diet.

I went back to get him checked, and his iron had raised it was at 11.6.

Thanks for the tip ladies. Honestly the only major thing we did was cut out a lot of dairy and it made a HUGE difference.