PDA

View Full Version : Q about your state's high school athletics rules

Allison
09-30-2015, 06:01 AM
Are homeschoolers in your state allowed to participate in high school sports?

Is it a law or is it under the domain of the state high school athletic association?

What are the requirements for a homeschooler at the high school level to participate in public school sports?

I'm in Alabama and our homeschool athletic association will be allowing homeschooled students to participate in sports in the 16-17 school year, but the requirements are not a good fit for our family's lifestyle, athletics training philosophy and education philosophy. We've moved mountains in this state to get this far, but it's still disappointingly lacking.

Just wondered how our rules compare to those of other states.

AngelaVA
09-30-2015, 08:45 AM
Are homeschoolers in your state allowed to participate in high school sports?

Is it a law or is it under the domain of the state high school athletic association?

What are the requirements for a homeschooler at the high school level to participate in public school sports?

I'm in Alabama and our homeschool athletic association will be allowing homeschooled students to participate in sports in the 16-17 school year, but the requirements are not a good fit for our family's lifestyle, athletics training philosophy and education philosophy. We've moved mountains in this state to get this far, but it's still disappointingly lacking.

Just wondered how our rules compare to those of other states.

No and in Virginia it's the law. Even when the school system wants to allow it the state won't let them make an exception. We had a bill two years in a row that was written to change that but it was defeated twice.

knitlove
09-30-2015, 09:43 AM
I assume in Vermont you can do sports. I know you can take classes up to 49% of them at public schools and still be home schooling.

Oh and that would be the law but some schools put up more fuss than other when trying to make it happen.

tazmom
09-30-2015, 10:31 AM
Yes, I believe the law says students my participate in all extra-curricular activities. My local school has offered for my child to participate in school band and I know many kids who are in high school sports.

Some schools/districts may need to be made aware of the law and need help going through the paperwork process. I had a friend who spent a week getting her son into high school sports because the local school didn't have a program and it required a variance to another district. No one knew how to do an athletic variance for an out of district homeschooler.

milkmommy
09-30-2015, 11:10 AM
yes they can... legally
I don't know any who do and the ones who try are often told by schools they "can't"
I'm not positive of the rules but I believe they are then subject to show eligibility and will have to submit to some kinda of grading or testing, Which is not required in my state otherwise..

Honestly I tend to lean a bit more to the non supporting side of allowing HS to participate in public school. I don't like it opening up big brother to our homeschooling life. I also don't like the idea of possibly taking a spot from an inschool student.

Aerynne
09-30-2015, 11:41 AM
Homeschoolers in my state can (state law allows for it), but afaiu it's up to the individual schools to decide if they want to or not.

Virginia
09-30-2015, 12:42 PM
No and in Virginia it's the law. Even when the school system wants to allow it the state won't let them make an exception. We had a bill two years in a row that was written to change that but it was defeated twice.

What Angela said, since I live in VA too :yes

And as a public school educator and former high school coach and former homeschooled student, I do not think high school students should be allowed to participate in public high school sports :bag In addition to reasons already stated above, public school students have to meet attendance and GPA requirements in my county, and there's no way to hold homeschooled students to the same standards. And if we tried to hold HS kids to the same standards, the school would then get into managing homeschooler's grades and attendance :shrug

ECingMama
09-30-2015, 07:26 PM
It's law here. I have no idea how many students participate. My guess is schools would bend over backwards to have a state champion-type student in their program. It's a very competitive state.

Given that taxes are mandatory, I believe it should be allowed. Athletes in schools get all kinds of extra help when they are the stars. I don't think homeschool students should be discriminated against because they are getting *help* (lessons/school) from their parents.

High school *school* mostly felt like a waste of time to me. (I went to a school where 90% went to a 4 year college.) The extra activities are what made school worth going to! I think all kids should have the opportunity to participate in them.

tazmom
09-30-2015, 10:32 PM
It's law here. I have no idea how many students participate. My guess is schools would bend over backwards to have a state champion-type student in their program. It's a very competitive state.

I don't know about other sports, but for swim the hs student may only join the team at the school they are in the boundaries for. (Except in the case where the local school did not have a program.) This helps prevent recruitment from the homeschooled kids who are also in club teams.

There are so many parents who cannot afford to put their children in club sports that I think it's great they can be in high school teams. I've known several hsing families where the only way their kids were able to be in organized sports is through the schools. Some are quite talented, but spending $150-300+ a month for club sports, per child, is outside what the families can afford. I'd hate to think a kid who really wants to be on the track team or drama club or debate team wouldn't be able to because they are homeschooled.

ECingMama
09-30-2015, 10:42 PM
I don't know about other sports, but for swim the hs student may only join the team at the school they are in the boundaries for. (Except in the case where the local school did not have a program.) This helps prevent recruitment from the homeschooled kids who are also in club teams.

There are so many parents who cannot afford to put their children in club sports that I think it's great they can be in high school teams. I've known several hsing families where the only way their kids were able to be in organized sports is through the schools. Some are quite talented, but spending $150-300+ a month for club sports, per child, is outside what the families can afford. I'd hate to think a kid who really wants to be on the track team or drama club or debate team wouldn't be able to because they are homeschooled.

I'm not sure we'll still live in this state when my kids are in high school, so now I have another thing to research!

Yes, $300 a month per child is not affordable for most families.

Our state has open enrollment, so I'm not sure how sports and homeschooling works.

WanderingJuniper
10-01-2015, 05:16 AM
Homeschooled students can participate in public high school athletics by law. They cannot participate in private school athletics if that private school is a member of the state athletic association. Homeschooled students have to meet the same standards for participation as public school students and can only participate within the district that would be their home district if they went to school. That means finding a way to meet eligibility guidelines. Attendance has to be tracked anyway for homeschooling in our state. It also means you are guaranteed a position on the team. You will need to try out like everyone else and earn your spot on the team.

Allison
10-01-2015, 08:29 AM
Thanks for all of the input, guys!

My state (Alabama) was trying to pass the Tim Tebow bill, but when it finally got some support from the powers that be, the AHSAA stepped in and asked that it not be made a law and said that they'd rather voluntarily allow homeschooled students to play.

That sounded great until we got the first draft of the regulations.

In addition to the regular eligibility rules (no prob with those) homeschooled students must be tested (not required in our state) in four areas at the end of each semester, take PE *on campus* and take another elective (but it can be taken through the virtual academy). That's a huge no-go for us. WAY too much intrusion and oversight into our homeschooling. :no

Then, homeschooled students aren't allowed to practice or get extra training during school hours. No way. My son's ability to train whenever is convenient for us is part of the reason we homeschool! :snooty

I'm pretty disappointed. He's aging out of the club system in our area. He still has ODP and that's great, but doesn't provide a team for him. We're probably going to have to move me and the boys 2 hours away so he can continue to play club. Not happy about splitting our family and the cost of running two households, but it's still better than having the testing and other hoops to jump through.

But, as was already mentioned here. It's not an option for everyone and that really stinks. :(

milkmommy
10-01-2015, 09:09 AM
NO IDEA IF IT IS AN OPTION WITH in your area (sorry cap lock was on for a moment) but Cecilia takes Orchestra (Cello) through our local college and does team swimming the same way though it is a city wide team.
We get a big cost advantage because DH works for the college so tution for her is free but honestly even if we did have to pay its gobs less than most places. We pay a whopping $10 a semester for her to take Orchestra even if she went to PS she wouldn't have this option (no string program) and bands have like big semester fees.
The only rules are
1) must be in at least 4th grade (or 9years old)
2) subject to the grading/attendance policies of the class registered for :shrug3
3) time commitment (for example we have to hang around till Early May for finial concert and we can't just take off for whatever length of time.. However we have found flex as long as we keep open communication with the instructors and stay reasonable.

No proof of other work no mandatory testing.. the two classes are "community based" so her class consists of college kids homeschooled kids private school kids PS kids and adults so a really nice mix.

The Tickle Momster
10-01-2015, 11:30 AM
It is legal here and required by law. I agree with other posters about cost of club sports vs. high school team. If my son wants to continue soccer once he is high school age, he will either have to play Select to the tune of $1000/season. That includes fees, uniforms, travel (gas/hotel), coaching, tournament entry, etc. No way we can come up with that kind of $ for one kid.

The hoops I will have to jump through will be enrolling him in the district, submitting lesson plans and grades every 6 weeks (I believe supporting documentation may be required, but haven't researched that far yet.), plus our required annual testing.

Quiteria
10-02-2015, 11:46 PM

Anne Ofalamo
10-03-2015, 11:08 AM
I am in New Mexico, a one high school town, and they will allow you to go to practice, suit up and even get photo for the yearbook. But in the many years I have lived here, the HSers sadly never actually play. For one boy, who was so tremendously talented, he kept a great attitude, but he said he felt like it was a shunning at the time. I do know HSers that participate in Band and choir with great results.
The welding teacher, has a few kids that come into his morning classes. His wife is a homeschooler! We have many teachers that homeschool...quite funny to me. They are great!

Soliloquy
10-03-2015, 11:30 AM
In my state they can participate. I have a friend whose son runs cross country at the middle school. I don't know what the requirements are, though, if there are any.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

I just looked up a state-by-state guide and it read that my state requires dual enrollment to participate but I know my friend's son isn't doing that. I'll have ask her what they required of her to sign him up.

I have mixed thoughts on the issue. On one hand, we pay dearly for all those facilities, uniforms, and salaries for coaches. We should be able to use them.

On the other hand, it does open up a door for the state to require compliance that it shouldn't have the right to do. But, there is nothing to stop the state from allowing hs students to participate with no strings or requirements. Each school district or homeschool (parents) can decide the standards for allowing sports.

gerberadaisy
10-03-2015, 12:14 PM
In my state they can participate. I have a friend whose son runs cross country at the middle school. I don't know what the requirements are, though, if there are any.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

I just looked up a state-by-state guide and it read that my state requires dual enrollment to participate but I know my friend's son isn't doing that. I'll have ask her what they required of her to sign him up.

I have mixed thoughts on the issue. On one hand, we pay dearly for all those facilities, uniforms, and salaries for coaches. We should be able to use them.

On the other hand, it does open up a door for the state to require compliance that it shouldn't have the right to do. But, there is nothing to stop the state from allowing hs students to participate with no strings or requirements. Each school district or homeschool (parents) can decide the standards for allowing sports.

could you link to the state by state guide? We'll be homeschooling our little guy starting next year so want to keep on top of stuff like this.

Soliloquy
10-03-2015, 12:37 PM
could you link to the state by state guide? We'll be homeschooling our little guy starting next year so want to keep on top of stuff like this.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.responsiblehomeschooling.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Homeschool-Athletic-Participation-Jan.-30-2014.pdf&ved=0CCgQFjACahUKEwjE9Ii9hqfIAhXEOIgKHeeKDco&usg=AFQjCNEgsLFk-VSO325NUpIGDp8f3QV6WA&sig2=9Cso6dYSjZRJX1RgZmndig

I don't know how accurate it is.

gerberadaisy
10-03-2015, 12:41 PM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.responsiblehomeschooling.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Homeschool-Athletic-Participation-Jan.-30-2014.pdf&ved=0CCgQFjACahUKEwjE9Ii9hqfIAhXEOIgKHeeKDco&usg=AFQjCNEgsLFk-VSO325NUpIGDp8f3QV6WA&sig2=9Cso6dYSjZRJX1RgZmndig

I don't know how accurate it is.

thanks.