PDA

View Full Version : Touch type read and spell? Anyone try this yet?

tempus vernum
05-20-2015, 07:56 AM
Teaches them to type but also good for dyslexic students. I am wondering if it is our next step for ds :D
https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/TouchTypeReadSpell

sweetpeasmommy
05-20-2015, 11:44 AM
I've considered it. I have a friend who does it. I should ask how it's going. Last I heard her son hated it but he's kinda of at a place he hates anything he is supposed to do lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stonebeck Farm
05-21-2015, 03:19 AM
I wish is wasn't $80. I know that is the 80% price.

We have a typing program at home so it is hard for me to justify the cost when the typing program we have does have them type real words. :shifty

I love that it is Orton Gillingham......

AngelaVA
05-21-2015, 05:28 AM
I wish is wasn't $80. I know that is the 80% price.

We have a typing program at home so it is hard for me to justify the cost when the typing program we have does have them type real words. :shifty

I love that it is Orton Gillingham......

Same here, I looked at it, thought it looked good, and I am shopping for a typing program but even at this supposedly 80% off price I think it's way too expensive.

mamacat
05-21-2015, 07:17 AM
You can find spelling lists that student hears sees and types at quizlet.com it does not involve the hand placement on keyboard but might be helpful and is free.You can do a search for spelling lists by grade and choose level seems like a good fit for yur student or create your own

Quiteria
05-21-2015, 08:18 AM
I'd love to hear if anyone knows how it goes. We need to make a renewed effort at a standard typing program. I have Typing Instructor on CD-ROM, and may give HWOT's typing a try. (It's cheap...under $10...but only a 1yr, 1 student license...hence I bought the other brand on CD-ROM, but it required better supervision because they weren't motivated to do it in order.) But anyway...that Touch Type Spell sounds like another good option if we give up on these.

tempus vernum
05-21-2015, 09:28 AM
So far, my two neurotypical children have been fine with a standard typing program (we use typing instructor platinum). My son, not so much. He hasn't really made progress in a year of using it :think I did notice there is a 10 day money back guarantee . . :think

tempus vernum
08-31-2015, 10:45 AM
For my spelling challenged child, I think this is going to be VERY VERY VERY good. Day 1 and he is already smiling and confident and happy. All 96% and higher for his scores. I will be curious to see how he does long term but he said "not bad" which is very high praise considering that it's language arts related and he has to read and use letters :giggle

tempus vernum
09-21-2015, 09:48 PM
We are a few weeks in now and he's still happily doing this. His typing and spelling are improving slowly but surely -- but most importantly WITHOUT upset feelings and WITHOUT my assistance :happytears He's been doing 15min/day 3-5 days/wk for the past 3 weeks.

Stonebeck Farm
09-22-2015, 02:01 AM
excellent

AngelaVA
09-22-2015, 04:19 AM
That's great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TraceMama
09-22-2015, 06:43 AM
Thanks for this thread! :)

tempus vernum
09-22-2015, 07:20 AM
Thanks for this thread! :)
:heart :heart

I'm going to keep updating it for several reasons
1. because it is very overwhelming to consider $80/yr for typing
2. this is geared to help with spelling and reading as well.
3. parents with struggling readers/spellers often get stuck in product after product and don't know where to start. At least this is a place people can consider.

Quiteria
09-22-2015, 08:01 AM
I think we're going to try this as well. We've hit a wall on both spelling and typing, so this being both AND independent....

tempus vernum
09-22-2015, 08:07 AM
I think we're going to try this as well. We've hit a wall on both spelling and typing, so this being both AND independent....

Just FYI - it is BARE BONES. no pictures, no nothing but letters/words and a voice reading them. no graphics or games.

When I realized it I was concerned at first. BUT ds likes the no nonsense approach and his brain appreciates hearing the voice.

Then they take away the letters and the voice says letters or words and you have to type them. Over and over same words. yesterday I heard mend, mend mend mend mend mend mend, bend bend bend bend bend bend, lend lend lend lend lend (etc

Then the next lesson
mend, bend, lend, send, mend, lend, send, bend, etc ;)

Quiteria
09-22-2015, 08:18 AM
LOL

I wonder whether there's a trial version. I'll have to look. I'm thinking about buying it for two of mine, since there's a half-price discount on the second child and my 4th grader needs it just as badly. He'd be more likely to complain about it being boring, but...he really needs to learn to type and spell, and gets distracted by the typing program we tried that had games as rewards...he figured out how to get into game mode more frequently and just bypass the lessons entirely. :doh So, a game-free program might be just what I'm needing for him whether he's thrilled about it or not.

TraceMama
09-22-2015, 08:48 AM
Just for curiosity's sake, what's the game version of typing you tried? :)

Quiteria
09-22-2015, 10:15 AM
Typing Instructor for Kids. I got a CD-Rom copy of it for cheap ($10-$20), and figured that would be great compared to paying for a limited-time license of other programs I was looking at. They played some games, but didn't seem to retain anything, nor were they motivated to follow the lesson path without more adult supervision. I really need something they can work on independently while I do phonics one-on-one with whomever isn't typing.

ECingMama
03-15-2016, 04:56 PM
Subbing.

tempus vernum
03-30-2016, 01:13 PM
I've absolutely seen a huge improvement in DS' spelling but mostly phonetic . . . so things that don't follow rules are still a struggle. I need to look and see when non phonetics will be stressed more . . . but I'm used to everything being slow going for him :)

Beth1231
03-31-2016, 06:50 AM
My dyslexic hubby made big strides with reading and spelling by using typing. I'll ask him if he remembers what program it was.

MrsHutch
03-31-2016, 11:51 AM
Man, I really wish they had a free trial. Looking at their website, they do have a monthly license for $15/month and a 10 day money back guarantee. Guess that would be a cheaper way to try it. I might do this for Big J.

RealLifeMama
03-31-2016, 12:03 PM
N/M

ECingMama
03-31-2016, 12:13 PM
quizlet.com was recommended on this thread or one like it.

I added words from Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading, and it seems like a great way to do this for free (it includes free audio).

Quiteria
03-31-2016, 04:05 PM
They gave me a free trial when I asked, but the email went to spam or something, or they processed it without sending a confirmation email or something...I missed it entirely, waiting for them to respond. :banghead

Can't remember whether I posted this earlier, but it is on sale at Homeschool Buyers Co-op for about half price. https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/TouchTypeReadSpell/?source=113480

tempus vernum
08-05-2016, 06:09 AM
My dyslexic hubby made big strides with reading and spelling by using typing. I'll ask him if he remembers what program it was.

Beth could you still find out?

My almost 1 year update. I am dismayed to say DS still does without fighting and his typing has for sure improved. I cannot decide if his spelled has improved a lot or not :think in some ways it has but in some ways it has not.

He DOES NOT do well on the tests that they give him because he is not recalling the rules long enough. It's my opinion that he needs to just keep repeating things over and over but the subscription is over so I'm unsure we will have time for that the next month. I believe that he's going to really really focus on typing for about a month and see if we can get things solidified. I reached out to customer care to say that I feel their system has failed him by not requiring a repeat of the modules if his test score isn't high enough. I am talking to them.

BUT I'm considering also adding AAS back in. Because when I look at his stats, he's NOWHERE near spelling those words. :sigh

tazmom
08-09-2016, 10:31 PM
My dd with dyslexia has been using TTRS for a month now. She loves it. I have no idea if her spelling or reading has improved at all, but she is trying to type her writing lessons now which saves me the argument about writing every day.

My other 2 kids have requested a license for themselves. They know it's bare bones and they still like it.

tempus vernum
08-10-2016, 06:17 AM
TTRS is working with us on some solutions. Honestly, we have taken steps to test his spelling more thoroughly and he's gone backwards in spelling from where he was :-/ Because he's not visual, he's conceptual, I believe the lack of rules has been a huge detriment. The multisensory approach has helped tremendously with his typing

BUT again, TTRS has been done without fighting so we are working with them.

SO, we are starting back in AAS Level 1 (did 10 steps in one day as review) and backing up in typing to reinforce and keep spelling speed stable.

AND I am happy with the typing speed.

tazmom, the only thing we did really really poorly was none of us realized there was a test after the modules. Every time ds logged in, he just clicked "resume course" one day when looking at his stats, I was like "tests? there are tests" I have no clue how that slipped under our radar but we are now being significantly more careful about making sure he's over 85% on the testing for spelling retention.

tazmom
08-10-2016, 08:16 AM
That's good to know. I'll check on the tests today. She's on the 2nd module already.

tempus vernum
08-10-2016, 04:33 PM
That's good to know. I'll check on the tests today. She's on the 2nd module already.

Ds got to level 17. He's going back to 3 ;)

tazmom
08-10-2016, 06:20 PM
There was only 1 test missed :phew She got an 86%, so I'm letting her move forward. I did tell her that at the end of each level she needs to do the test from now on.