PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Spatulas and Wooden Spoons

JessicaGhig
11-26-2014, 06:33 AM
My 2-year-old is happily sitting in the kitchen floor playing with my basket of spatulas and spoons. It makes me smile that she will never know to be afraid of them.

She will never be slapped in the face with them.

She will never have one broken on her.

She will never sit helpless watching a younger sibling spanked with them until he vomits.

She won't tense up every time she hears a kitchen drawer open.

She won't sleep with extra pairs of underwear on, just in case someone pulls her out of bed.

She won't kiss welts on siblings legs, holding them protectively as they cry in their sleep.

To her, these spatulas and spoons are fun.

They are for helping Mama cook.

They are for playing in the bath.

For stirring big bowls of dishsoap bubbles.

She doesn't know to be afraid, and that just made my morning. :)

Little Forest
11-26-2014, 07:41 AM
What a blessing you are to her. :heart
Posted via Mobile Device

marbles
11-26-2014, 08:09 AM
It's wonderful, isn't it? To see something that brings fear in your heart, and then to know that your child has no concept of that fear :heart

milkmommy
11-26-2014, 08:31 AM
I feel the same when my girls would play with daddy's belt.. To them it was just what holds up pants and makes a nifty leash for their stuffed dogs or how they giggle because they could wrap it around them selfs 5 times.. Or that it can be grabbed as leverage when climbing that great indoor jungle gym called daddy..:heart No fear of it striking them no awkward squirms when the sound of it being taken off is heard..

JoEllen
11-26-2014, 02:43 PM
I still can't bring myself to have any wooden spoons in my kitchen. It's amazing to see kids who have no fear of these simple, every day items.

jenny_islander
11-26-2014, 02:57 PM
My children will never flinch at the sight of an upraised hand. As many awful mistakes as I've made so far, they have been spared that.

And when they sleep, they sleep in peace.

blondie
11-28-2014, 07:52 PM
I still get nervous at my parent's house when I hear a certain drawer open.

Aerynne
11-28-2014, 09:29 PM
Wow- as much as I know that kind of punishment exists it is still just shocking to hear about it (my parents didn't believe in spanking, either).

:bheart for all the kids who DO have that experience

But :jump2 for all the kids here who don't

camperjen
11-29-2014, 01:46 PM
I sometimes want to cry when I see how normal my boys are growing up. They have it easy, and it's a blessing to be able to give that to them. :heart Praise God for help and healing, and grace and goodness and mercy!!!

sunflowermom
11-29-2014, 03:10 PM
:heart Thanks for sharing and :ptl for breaking cycles of abuse!

Zooey
11-29-2014, 09:54 PM
:heart

Stefanierose88
11-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Ugh, made me cry sister. I am so sad that you endured that and that others do but so very joyful that our children will not.

I was raised in a non-spanking home, and I cant imagine how difficult it must be to heal from that kind of abuse. And it IS abuse. :hug2:heart

staceylayne
11-30-2014, 11:31 PM
:hug Thank you for sharing that. What a beautiful glimpse of the monumental changes you are making to your family tree. It is worth celebrating!

I was spanked occasionally as a child, but our home was overall a safe place full of love. DH and I have made different choices and my parents are very supportive and encouraging of the way we parent. :heart

Accounts like yours chill me to the bone. :bheart I'm just ill thinking about your trauma and knowing that it has happened and is happening to so many precious children. :cry

Zooey
12-06-2014, 01:51 AM
:hug Thank you for sharing that. What a beautiful glimpse of the monumental changes you are making to your family tree. It is worth celebrating!

I was spanked occasionally as a child, but our home was overall a safe place full of love. DH and I have made different choices and my parents are very supportive and encouraging of the way we parent. :heart

Accounts like yours chill me to the bone. :bheart I'm just ill thinking about your trauma and knowing that it has happened and is happening to so many precious children. :cry
This.