PDA

View Full Version : Red cross babysitting classes

purple_kangaroo
06-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Our older kids are 13, almost 12 and almost 9. Ì know I want the older two to take the Red Cross babysitting course, but there are three different options offered in our area and I'm not sure what the differences are. There's the online course for $25, the babysitter's training that's a one day course for $80, and the two day babysitters boot camp for $150 per kid. Does anyone know what the differences are in what they cover?

I'm also thinking of having the 8yo take the "when I'm in charge" class since that's more geared toward her age, but then I wondered if I should have the older two take that class also since they haven't really been home alone for more than a few minutes while I run to the post office a couple of miles down the road.

They probably won't be babysitting without adult supervision this year, but they do often help keep an eye on baby sister and are starting to help watch other kids sometimes too.

WanderingJuniper
06-13-2014, 03:47 PM
I'm curious about this too. Daughter has the possibility of being a babysitter with supervision if needed this summer through a friend and my stipulation is that before she can be left alone and in charge of a small charge that she completes one of the classes.

kiloyd
06-13-2014, 03:51 PM
:popcorn

I've thought of having ds take this course but wondered what they teach.

I think I may just have him take a CPR course instead. Don't know if there is an age minimum.

Laurlor
06-13-2014, 04:35 PM
DD14 took a babysitting class and I chose one in which she would become CPR and first aid certified, because that was most important to me. Here's the description:

Students will become certified in First Aid and Pediatric CPR, and will learn how to effectively market and price their services, safely care for infants and children, prepare healthy snacks, and entertain kids.

It's $39 plus a $40 materials fee.

purple_kangaroo
06-13-2014, 10:05 PM
I remember that when I took the Red Cross babysitting class as a teen, it was fabulous. It included child development information, activities to do with the kids, things to write down and ask the parents, information about what to check when getting a tour of the house (i.e. find out where fire extinguishers were), and information about what to do in an emergency. I think we even got to practice feeding babies and changing diapers. It was a really great class, but I don't know which version I took. I do remember that we went more than one day.

Soliloquy
06-13-2014, 11:08 PM
I took a Red Cross babysitting course when l was in 5th grade. It wasn't very helpful. I remember learning how to pin diapers (this was back when many people still had a diaper service), how to lay a baby in a crib (back then it was ALWAYS on their stomach), and that a baby couldn't cry for more than 45 minutes so expect that length of crying at nap/bedtime.

I don't think I had the greatest teacher. :-/ Thankfully I learned on the job from some great moms.

Totally irrelevant anecdote :lol but I'm curious about the current offerings.

mamaKristin
06-14-2014, 07:20 AM
Looking at what is available here, there is the Red Cross babysitting program, and an enhanced one that offers CPR. The same place offers a "home alone" program for kids 10+ and their age 7+ siblings. My kids did that program last summer and it was great.