PDA

View Full Version : Mainstream/secular alternative to Babywise?

MariekeSings
04-18-2014, 12:46 PM
My cousin has BW on her registry. But I think she is unaware of the issues with the book. He describes herself as a little crunchy, but I don't know if she would really define herself as AP.

I want to bring up the issues to her (gently of course!), but want some alternatives to recommend that would work for someone who maybe isn't into co sleeping, just in case.

homesteadmama
04-18-2014, 12:48 PM
The No Cry Sleep Solution might be good.

Or anything by Dr Sears, but that might be too AP for why you're looking for? I've often given people The Attachment Parenting Book by Dr Sears as a baby shower gift. :giggle

Katigre
04-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Happiest baby on the block is very mainstream and focuses on soothing a baby for the first three months.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

homesteadmama
04-18-2014, 01:02 PM
Yes, that!!! The happiest baby on the block was probably the best tools I was given with how to deal with my high-needs newborn!

Victorious
04-18-2014, 01:30 PM
The Happiest Baby on the Block was definitely my gateway book to the more hardcore AP stuff :giggle

derdsgirl
04-18-2014, 01:46 PM
I sparkley heart love no cry sleep solution!

esperanza
04-18-2014, 05:11 PM
I've heard that the Happiest Baby dvd is basically a condensed version of the book. I saw the video twice (never read the book). It's nice to see him in action (though he does talk about swaddling, which I know there is some controversy about- how to swaddle). So you might want to look at getting the dvd.

ValiantJoy07
04-18-2014, 05:22 PM
I had the happiest baby on the block DVD. It worked wonders with my colicky dd1 and dd2.. all of it was backwards for dd3. :giggle but the DVD was great, we were too desperate and sleep deprived to read a book... and it definitely made me feel better about soothing dd and gave me tools to help stop the crying.

ECingMama
04-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Secrets of the Baby Whispererer? Haven't read it years.

I love happiest baby on the block DVD. Also, that Australian lady who says babies have different cries. Her DVD. Dunstan Baby Language.

MegMarch
04-18-2014, 06:42 PM

I love happiest baby on the block DVD. Also, that Australian lady who says babies have different cries. Her DVD. Dunstan Baby Language.
I think Secrets of The Baby Whisperer says it is pro-BFing but gives advice that's counterproductive. Limiting and timing feeds I think? I'd check it out before recommending it.

CelticJourney
04-18-2014, 06:53 PM
I'm a Sears fan, myself :rockon

Just a bit of detail, Babywise is the secular version of what was known as Preparation for Parenting. I think now he publishes it as Along the Infant Way or something.

sunflowermom
04-18-2014, 07:00 PM
I really liked Happiest Baby on the Block and Sears' books too. Thanks for helping them & their baby!

knitlove
04-18-2014, 07:14 PM

I go for happiest baby on the block over baby whisperer. If I remember corectly baby whisperer is verry against nurseing to sleep, I feel that it is counter to the natural rythem (and would have driven me crazy if I had tryed to follow it)

Kiara.I
04-18-2014, 07:50 PM

Definitely NO!!!

Very into routines, very against feeding to sleep, completely wrong breastfeeding advice...

Quiteria
04-18-2014, 08:31 PM
Secrets of the Baby Whisperer is actually very similar to Babywise in some ways...limiting feedings and trying to keep baby from falling asleep at the breast, telling moms that baby should Eat, Play, Sleep in that order, which leads moms to believe that baby couldn't possibly be hungry and want to nurse to sleep after having nursed a couple hours ago upon waking.... :doh :banghead

It's a little kinder than Babywise, but it's the same vein of advice. I would NOT recommend it.

KarenBoo
04-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Secrets of the Baby Whisperer is actually very similar to Babywise in some ways...limiting feedings and trying to keep baby from falling asleep at the breast, telling moms that baby should Eat, Play, Sleep in that order, which leads moms to believe that baby couldn't possibly be hungry and want to nurse to sleep after having nursed a couple hours ago upon waking.... :doh :banghead

It's a little kinder than Babywise, but it's the same vein of advice. I would NOT recommend it.

Yes to this

MariekeSings
04-18-2014, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the recs! I might have to get Happiest Baby on the Block for me too.

And the book is still published as "On Becoming Babywise". Every time I saw it when I worked at BN, I wanted to hide it (or burn it :shifty).

CelticJourney
04-19-2014, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the recs! I might have to get Happiest Baby on the Block for me too.

And the book is still published as "On Becoming Babywise". Every time I saw it when I worked at BN, I wanted to hide it (or burn it :shifty).Right - Babywise is the secular version (and my dd works at Books-A-Million and has the same instict:yes). The 'religious' version is the one that the name has changed. He still publishes both, but I think he is having to self-publish the religious version at this point.

MariekeSings
04-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Ah, I must have misread.

emerald
04-20-2014, 05:46 PM
I would recommend Janet Lansbury's blog. It is not AP, but many people use both philosophies at different points in their child's development or try to blend them.