PDA

View Full Version : The Baby Whisperer

Kaela Parakaleo
04-03-2014, 07:50 AM
That was the book that I believed and tried to follow. The experience of trying to make my first baby follow that schedule was horrible. Thankfully, my second and third babies benefited from my introduction to AP parenting from my midwife & Mothering magazine.

Anyway, it's been a long time since I read it. Was anyone else here affected by it? I don't recall it being as extreme (harsh) as the Ezzo & Pearl books are (although I haven't read them &don't think that I could stomach them). Does GCM have a position on The Baby Whisper?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Kiara.I
04-03-2014, 08:24 AM
I've certainly seen it around, and lots of people around here follow it, but I escaped. I don't remember how...I think it's mostly that I'm just not very into routines so I didn't care about it. ;)

But I keep trying to explain to new moms that it's just not realistic, and actually she knows nothing about breastfeeding. But hey, she's an "expert" so they listen. :doh

FlyingBlueKiwi
04-03-2014, 08:27 AM
I read it, but had a problem with the idea of accepting parenting advice from someone who left her own kids 6,000 miles away with grandparents to become a 'Hollywood nanny.' :no

Elyse221
04-03-2014, 08:57 AM
It's pretty much the same as Babywise. The only thing that makes it not "as bad" imo is that it's not quite as manipulative and without the spiritual undercurrent that your children will become ungodly selfish ax-murderers if they are not on her schedule. But it's been several years since I read it (I read all "those books" but thankfully had an intense, high needs little baby girl that taught me otherwise. I just wish I hadn't spent her early babyhood stressing about it :sigh).

Codi
04-03-2014, 10:10 AM
I got that book as a baby gift with my first. He was a couple month's old when I started reading it. Soooo much of it did not feel right to me as I was reading it. I was a new mom with certain ideals before I had my baby (NEVER co-sleep, ONLY nurse for 6 months MAX, CIO, time out, etc)

There was a quote in there where she listed Dr. Sears and AP as an EXTREME style of parenting. I closed her book, and called my mom (who was coming over) and asked her to stop and pick up the book "Attachment Parenting By Dr.Sears" and that was the end of that.

Her quote about his philosophy on parenting really hit a cord with me and I KNEW that was right and what I wanted to do and what I had already been doing with my baby. :yes

Sparrow
04-03-2014, 10:21 AM
I haven't read it, and I don't want to because I'm very sensitive to anything that advocates CIO, or indicates that babies are manipulative.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

I read it, but had a problem with the idea of accepting parenting advice from someone who left her own kids 6,000 miles away with grandparents to become a 'Hollywood nanny.' :no

And this.

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

I've certainly seen it around, and lots of people around here follow it, but I escaped. I don't remember how...I think it's mostly that I'm just not very into routines so I didn't care about it. ;)

But I keep trying to explain to new moms that it's just not realistic, and actually she knows nothing about breastfeeding. But hey, she's an "expert" so they listen. :doh

Weird how popular it was in our area when our eldest were born! Bear wasn't born here ;)

tigerlily
04-03-2014, 10:35 AM
I read it. :yes As I recall, she's the one with the EASY schedule -- Eat, Active, Sleep, You.

So you're supposed to put your baby on a routine of eat, play an actvity with them (or just put them in the swing for their whole "active time"):mumble, Put them back to sleep and then spend time on you.

Never mind that sleeping and eating are irrevocably linked, and the idea of putting an awake baby in a baby holder for their entire wakefulness cycle is just:doh:jawdrop:-/:snooty.

It sounds sooo attractive with the promised "you time". I can see why people want it to work.

Daria_Aleksandrovna
04-03-2014, 03:43 PM
I have read it. Well, long time ago ;)

It's more appealing than Gina Ford (UK equivalent of BabyWise), because it sounded more pro-baby-needs. No CIO, but put-down and pick-up method apparently doesn't count as CIO :) It sells as 'pro-baby needs but you're still in charge' package. Who doesn't want that!

Also, it was bf'ing advice that made me roll eyes. Something about need to wash your breast after every feed, cos of bacteria, innit. A few more examples too, but I forgot.

Sparrow
04-03-2014, 04:20 PM
:jawdrop YOU REACTIVATED!!! :hug