PDA

View Full Version : It's lonely over here

willtravelforfood
03-07-2014, 10:45 AM
I knew that I'd be alone when I started down the road of GD, but I didn't expect it to be so lonely. Some ladies from church were discussing spanking and how wonderful SACH has been for them. A couple of months ago, I would have totally agreed with them (except for the book, since I haven't read it all) and felt supported in my parenting methods. Instead, I felt like a complete outsider. I'm used to being the odd one out when it comes to things like health and vaccinations. That doesn't bother me at all, but this made me feel so isolated. :(

It also made me even more grateful for this forum. I haven't been able to post much, but when I have, the support I've received has been so comforting. Thank you so much for loving me even though you don't know me! :heart

Kiara.I
03-07-2014, 10:47 AM
It can be isolating...
Often secular groups are much less punitive. For instance, are you involved with your local La Leche League? That might be a place to find other non-punitive parents.

marbles
03-07-2014, 11:08 AM
I understand :hug it's so very isolating because so many who do spank (many that I know personally) think you are at best a bad parent for not. So not only are you left out, you are to be pitied. I hope you find your group.

megretleigh
03-07-2014, 11:15 AM
I'm so sorry you're lonely! I know the feeling as a new-to-GBD mom myself. I am settling in to a new town at the same time, so I haven't had obvious chances to see just how "out-there" my new ideas are quite yet, but I know some of my family is seriously wondering about me. :D

HuggaBuggaMommy
03-07-2014, 11:18 AM
:hug

It may be hard now, but it's worth it. And many mamas here have found that as their kids get older, conversations don't revolve much about spanking and discipline anymore, so you won't have to deal with that constant, in your face, "I'm different" feeling. But until then, yeah, it can sometimes be isolating.

WanderingJuniper
03-07-2014, 12:02 PM
It's true that as your children get older your parenting choices are less and less a topic of discussion. :hug

BarefootBetsy
03-07-2014, 02:46 PM
It can definitely be very isolating at first :( I agree with the other ladies though - it does get much, much better as your children get older :heart

JessicaNichole
03-07-2014, 05:07 PM
I understand. It is so so so hard. Between full term breastfeeding two boys, not vaccinating and striving for gentleness i feel alone most of the time. I have skipped church for a month at a time because i knew the subject matter was going to be about raising kids, which is going to mean hitting, which makes me feel even more isolated. And facebook isn't much better either.

Chickadee&Me
03-07-2014, 05:44 PM
It can be really lonely. I've dropped hints here and there and some of starting to see things a little more gently.

rcsmom
03-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Where are you located? You don't have to answer here but you can PM me if you want :) I am just asking because I unexpectedly found a fellow GCM in my home town (:jawdrop this is a town of less than 5000 people in a rural part of the country) when I mentioned the general area that I live in. I also have been meeting some like minded mommas in breastfeeding and babywearing groups lately.

Llee
03-07-2014, 06:27 PM
On behalf of your kids, thank you for wanting and striving to be gentle.

joysworld
03-07-2014, 06:48 PM
:hug

It may be hard now, but it's worth it. And many mamas here have found that as their kids get older, conversations don't revolve much about spanking and discipline anymore, so you won't have to deal with that constant, in your face, "I'm different" feeling. But until then, yeah, it can sometimes be isolating.

That is soooo true!! When my youngest was 3, she acted well three, and others thought I needed to spank her. Now that she's matured some and is almost six, discipline doesn't really come up.