PDA

View Full Version : Gothard resigned

flowermama
03-06-2014, 09:52 PM
My husband just told me that Gothard resigned. . . http://www.religionnews.com/2014/03/06/conservative-leader-bill-gothard-resigned-following-abuse-allegations/

Wonder Woman
03-06-2014, 09:58 PM
I'm glad to hear it! Thanks for sharing - I had missed that earlier :tu

tigerlily
03-06-2014, 10:08 PM
Sigh of relief.

I hadn't heard the allegations about not reporting abuse. That's very concerning as well.

charla
03-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Wow, I hadn't heard either.

BlessedBlue
03-06-2014, 10:43 PM
That's interesting news.

ArmsOfLove
03-06-2014, 10:45 PM
It's a good day for the Kingdom.

righteous mama
03-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Yay!

QuiltinGramma
03-06-2014, 10:48 PM
I knew there was an investigation going on, but had not heard that he resigned. What wonderful news.

Now if only the "new" guys would really look at what is being taught and make a lot of changes to it.

Redeemed
03-06-2014, 11:47 PM
Hmmm. Was he ever married?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Soliloquy
03-06-2014, 11:50 PM
So sad to think of the victims. :(

This, from the very end of the article linked above, is more good news! It held 504 seminars in 2010, but that number dropped to fewer than 50 in 2012. 450 fewer seminars in 2 years!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

MaybeGracie
03-07-2014, 12:16 AM
Hmmm. Was he ever married?

No, he was never married.

HadassahSukkot
03-07-2014, 12:28 AM
:pray4

willtravelforfood
03-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Great news! It's a good start but I hope that ATI eventually dismantles. I've seen so much bad come from that organization and I think that will continue even without Bill.

Carini
03-07-2014, 10:40 AM
That is good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hollybells
03-07-2014, 01:02 PM
That is FANTASTIC news. :yes

peekaboomama
03-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Yay! And yet, praying for the victims - this part (from the article in the OP) just gives me the super creeps. "Go and be reconciled"? I just hope it doesn't turn into pressure to recant...

Gothard told the Board of Directors he wanted to follow the New Testament command to listen to those who made accusations against him, according to an email sent from David Waller, administrative director of the Advanced Training Institute to families involved in the ministry.
In the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus directs his followers to “go and be reconciled” if “your brother or sister has something against you.”
“To give his full attention to this objective, Mr. Gothard has resigned as president of the Institutes in Basic Life Principles, its Board of Directors, and its affiliated entities,” Waller’s email said.

Sparrow
03-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Go and be reconciled? :mad

YA buddy. We can talk it out in the court of law.

ShowersofBlessings
03-18-2014, 02:59 AM
I don't know much about his organization, other than that he has always seemed super legalistic like the Pharisees, creating rules to follow that the Bible never did. But what concerns me most about this is that he did not resign on his own; he was suspended first and as far as I can see he has never admitted any wrong doing.

Again, I am not familiar with Vision Forum, but it seems at least like Doug Philips resigned on his own and admitted his wrong doing. So it makes me think that Bill Gothard is not truly repentant. :(

QuiltinGramma
03-20-2014, 10:08 PM
When an organization says, "You must come to all the seminars or else you can't understand what is being taught" is so "cultic." According to them, even if you have all the books & their other materials, you possible can't understand the true nature of what is being taught. I do not like organizations like. It's too cult-like. ....then, on top of that, you have their teachings.

P.S. And it is an insult to our intellect that if it is in print that we can't understand the true teachings of Gothard. And people were not suppose to sell or give their books/training manuals away because the people who would buy them would misconstrue and not understand the true teachings of the materials.

rjy9343
03-21-2014, 11:13 AM
P.S. And it is an insult to our intellect that if it is in print that we can't understand the true teachings of Gothard. And people were not suppose to sell or give their books/training manuals away because the people who would buy them would misconstrue and not understand the true teachings of the materials.
What she said.

FlyingBlueKiwi
06-25-2014, 07:37 AM
Sounds like IBLP is trying to minimize this (http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleanings/2014/june/results-bill-gothard-harassment-investigation-released-iblp.html?utm_source=connection-html&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_term=4616180&utm_content=281509384&utm_campaign=2013). :mad

At this point, based upon those willing to be interviewed, no criminal activity has been discovered. ...
We want to encourage reconciliation within families and are very supportive of efforts toward reconciliation with Mr. Gothard or with IBLP....
The Board does not believe that Mr. Gothard's shortcomings discredit the truths of God's Word that were taught through him. ...

ValiantJoy07
06-25-2014, 10:40 AM
:sick

Beth1231
06-25-2014, 11:02 AM
Oh,ick. :sick
Someome needs to have the courage to take him to court and let a lawyer strip away the mumbo jumbo and lay the smack down.
Like what happened with Warren Jeffs and the FLDS polygamy cult.

HadassahSukkot
06-25-2014, 11:41 AM
“…not one of the women who have shared their stories on our site were personally contacted by Gibbs Jr. or his investigative team, including Charlotte, who alleged molestation. (http://www.recoveringgrace.org/2014/02/charlottes-stori/)“

The Board of IBLP can write, “We dedicate ourselves to help build up families and individuals,” but if these situations actually took place, the Institute’s so-called “ministry” is a farce, with or without Gothard, and IBLP should be shut down to prevent further abuse of power.http://homeschoolersanonymous.wordpress.com/2014/06/25/a-real-investigation-into-iblp/

hollybells
06-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Perfect. :banghead

mrsd
07-01-2014, 06:58 AM
No, but he claimed to be an expert on marriage and child-rearing.

FlyingBlueKiwi
06-24-2015, 11:24 AM
He's baaaack (http://www.worldmag.com/2015/06/bill_gothard_defends_himself_on_new_website)... :sick

...Last weekend he re-launched his website. Gothard continues to assert that the more than 60 women who accused him of harassment and abuse are “not telling the truth.”...

:sick:sick:sick:sick:sick:sick

Soliloquy
06-24-2015, 11:44 AM
Vile.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

I love how Shelia Gregoire addresses the topic of manic patriarchy. (Dont read the comments unless yiu want to :ph)
http://tolovehonorandvacuum.com/2014/08/mark-driscoll-mess-tells-us-marriage/#comment-406046

Maedchen
06-24-2015, 12:18 PM
I don't know if this is allowed, but this is another one of his 'pastors' that fell and resigned for sexual relations. http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2015/06/20/ chaplain-accused-of-sexual-relations-with-newport-inmates-had-ties-to-bill-gothards-ministry?utm_content=buffera8a22&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I broke the link. It seems that they are more obsessed with sex and become perverted.

rjy9343
06-24-2015, 12:22 PM
I suppose we shouldn't be surprised. It seems like once they get a taste of the power, they become addicts and will do anything to get their next hit. But it is still so frustrating all the same.

Soliloquy
06-24-2015, 05:35 PM
That is what Shelia Gregoire wrote about. If men are the ultimate earthly authority and women are subservient, eventually you become corrupted.

Dovenoir
06-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Crap. I know him.

Soliloquy
06-24-2015, 08:25 PM
Crap. I know him.

Gothard? :shiver Or the other guy?

Dovenoir
06-24-2015, 08:52 PM
Kenneth.

I went to the Harding mentioned in the article. And I went to informational meetings about the prison ministry. One of my friends has at least 13 years invested in it.

MissusLeata
07-10-2015, 06:11 AM
I really wouldn't worry about Gothard's comeback. He has a small group of super loyal followers, but I don't think he'll get many more.

The new ATI leadership is actually warning people to not even try to talk to him as they deem him unrepentant. If ATI survives all of the lawsuits they are facing, I think it'll come out a different organization.

The new ATI president was a friend of my hubby's years ago and he was in our home a few months ago. We talked for hours about the problems and when we started talking of the bad theology in the material, his wife got out a pen and started taking notes.

They are really trying and want to right the wrongs.

Maedchen
07-10-2015, 09:46 AM
The new ATI president was a friend of my hubby's years ago and he was in our home a few months ago. We talked for hours about the problems and when we started talking of the bad theology in the material, his wife got out a pen and started taking notes.

They are really trying and want to right the wrongs.

Ok, I really am not meaning for this to sound snarky. My chronic fatigue is off the charts today and I can't think how to phrase this, but if they are taking over ATI, then wouldn't they already know what is in the books in the theology? If they don't know what scriptural theology the business stands for, why would they take it over?:shrug3

rjy9343
07-10-2015, 09:59 AM
That's really good news. It would be wonderful if a real reformation came out of all of this. I really hope it happens and that ATI becomes something so much better than it was.

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

Ok, I really am not meaning for this to sound snarky. My chronic fatigue is off the charts today and I can't think how to phrase this, but if they are taking over ATI, then wouldn't they already know what is in the books in the theology? If they don't know what scriptural theology the business stands for, why would they take it over?:shrug3

Not necessarily, I was home schooled and only had a vague idea of what was in it. I grew up around it, but not with it. On the surface, it sounds like a really good and Godly thing. I can see someone taking over ATI under the impression that the message is sound, it is just the leader that needed to go.

MissusLeata
07-10-2015, 10:06 AM
The man who took over was never an ATI student. He worked in local offices and then was over a Training Center and then a missionary. He did the missionary work with ATI, but didn't give them much control (intentionally). His wife was a student, but often older students didn't do the school work. :-)

There were times when I pointed out a teaching and he'd think it had presented differently and his wife would say, "No, she's right." Sometimes, you just need someone to connect the dots.

I don't really know what will happen. There are pending lawsuits that could be the complete end of ATI....or they might be able to re-structure it. My hubby is trying to keep doors open with the new leadership (we've been out for years and vocal in our opposition) because they do seem really willing to hear about the problems.

Maedchen
07-10-2015, 10:08 AM
I hope it changes.

RJY, oh I understand at first it sounds good. I would just think if you are in ministry, you would know what the organization teaches before you actually took the job. (sorta like the Pope taking over at the SBC and being surprised that they do not use a Rosary.)

Looks like they would already know that the only reason you are sick is because you have sin in your life and you just need to stay in a room and pray until you are better and not take medication...........that just seems like a huge thing not to know.:shrug3

rjy9343
07-10-2015, 10:29 AM
I hope it changes.

RJY, oh I understand at first it sounds good. I would just think if you are in ministry, you would know what the organization teaches before you actually took the job. (sorta like the Pope taking over at the SBC and being surprised that they do not use a Rosary.)

Looks like they would already know that the only reason you are sick is because you have sin in your life and you just need to stay in a room and pray until you are better and not take medication...........that just seems like a huge thing not to know.:shrug3

Depends on the spin they got. If they didn't grow up in it, just around it they could think that illness needs prayer and medication. It's also possible they think that all illness is demonic in nature and medicine does not do any good. Or maybe they do have an idea of what's in there but they want to change it and give families truth and hope. :pray4

BarefootBetsy
07-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Oh wow. The new leaders sound promising!

It's possible, with less extreme folks taking over ATI, that the more extreme folks would simply splinter off and continue with the extreme beliefs, but then maybe the extreme stuff at least would stop being so mainstream :pray2

MissusLeata
07-10-2015, 02:59 PM
Some things have, reportedly, been changed already. When I was in ATI, students as young as 14 were sent to Training Centers, even overseas, for months at a time to work. The new President's wife didn't even know that happened, though she was a student, and they've made it so that you have to be an adult to work for them.

One of the areas that some of the worse teachings came in was through the "Basic Care" Department. That whole department has been closed down.

They want to provide homeschool support without the "non-optional" teachings...they see them as possibly helpful suggestions.

But not all former ATI students trust the new leadership. We've had really good experiences with the new president. My husband and I both knew him years ago and see a huge change in him. But time will tell how much that changes the system, if it survives all the lawsuits.

Maedchen
07-10-2015, 05:27 PM
It is a start and sounds promising! :)

Those that have been hurt by ATI in the past will need to watch and wait because of overcoming deep hurt.

As to some being sent overseas in the past, I always thought that it was just in the USA. That sounds more like how the Mormons do the mission trips they are required to do. (GOthards rules sound more like FLDS)

MissusLeata
07-10-2015, 06:36 PM
There were lots of overseas trips. My sister met her hubby in Russia. My husband served there several times and also went to Mongolia and Taiwan with ATI. There were trips to New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, Peru and Mexico.

In Russia, they had a Training Center that had some of the worst abuse that you can imagine. It was awful!

My sister's health was destroyed while serving in Russia. And many other girls suffered the same fate. They worked their "help" into adrenal exhaustion.