PDA

View Full Version : Tablet or Netbook for homeschooling?

mamahammer
07-29-2013, 07:01 PM
My DD wants one or the other for her 8th birthday, and I'm good with it, but I'm not sure which would be more useful. Whatever we get her, we'd probably end up getting for by he other two for Christmas. With some of the family stuff we've got going on this year, I'd love to be able to use whatever we get for some of their schoolwork.

Would you get an Netbook or a tablet? Links to any suggestions?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Codi
07-29-2013, 08:37 PM
There are pros to both IMO. I have a kindle fire and a netbook and I never use my netbook but always use my fire and would love an ipad next. :yes

I do think I would prefer the netbook for the kids though. They can type properly with the netbook. But you couldn't get any apps. Seems more duarble.

Both super portable as long as the netbook has wifi.

Sorry.....that didn't help huh? :giggle Just spewing thoughts....

mamahammer
07-30-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm looking at maybe doing a tablet with a bluetooth keyboard... Hmmm...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

4MKfam
07-30-2013, 09:44 AM
:popcorn :shifty
I'd go for the netbook, but only due to the fact that ds's virtual school website won't work as well on an Ipad. We have a kindle fire (the smaller one) that gets used a LOT and a couple laptops. I wouldn't consider a kindle fire to be comparable to an ipad, though --close, but there seem to be quite a few more apps for the Ipad than for the fire :shrug. We got it mainly for reading and books (and an additional net device -for when the kids are on for me to check email. ...And GCM :lol)

LovinBeingMommy
07-30-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm looking at maybe doing a tablet with a bluetooth keyboard... Hmmm...

This is what I'd probably do. Best of both worlds. ;) I *love* my iPad and use it a ton. There are a bunch of great educational and functional apps free and a bunch more that don't cost much. My only complaint is that the iPad doesn't do flash. That rarely slows me down, though. I think I've had a problem with one website.

mamahammer
07-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Wed probably go for a refurbished galaxy tab 2. Unless I bought myself the tab 3 and gave her the 2 :shifty

allisonintx
07-30-2013, 10:02 AM
I downloaded a browser for my iPad that supports flash :yes

Evelyn has a kindle fire HD 8.9, if you'd like to side by side it with the iPad. I know would be thrilled to show it to you. It works with a Bluetooth keyboard, too

passthemanna
07-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Subbing.

heartofjoy
07-31-2013, 05:29 PM
How about a Chromebook? You can use google apps. It's got a keyboard and you can create documents in Google documents. You can't download programs though.

We were looking at one for $199 at Best Buy the other night. My son wants a Kindle Fire, but this seems more versatile. :shrug3

Llee
07-31-2013, 05:58 PM
Yes, I was going to say Chromebook too.

Peaceful Meadows
08-01-2013, 08:08 PM
My only complaint is that the iPad doesn't do flash. That rarely slows me down, though. I think I've had a problem with one website.
I got flash on my Kindle Fire by downloading ES File Explorer and then downloading the Dolphin browser which supports flash. Maybe something like that would work on iPad. :)

LovinBeingMommy
08-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Ooh, there's a version of Dolphin for the iPad. I'll have to download it and try it. Thanks! :mrgreen

pirandellian
08-03-2013, 06:47 PM
DH was telling me the other day that tablets are truly where things are going tech wise. You can already start to see how net books are out of style and he doubts that chrome books will be big, mainly cause of the lack of apps.

RealLifeMama
08-03-2013, 07:44 PM
We use Teaching Textbooks and so we need a CD rom for it. We have to have a full computer for the kids.
We have a Galaxy, but DH being the Microsoft guy he is wants a Surface. I will likely get one of those for myself and give my kids my laptop for their school during the day.
(Dh did tell me I could get a CD thing to plug in via usb, but that seems like a hassle to me.)

mamahammer
08-07-2013, 07:18 PM
I think we may go with a Nook HD. I really like the Nook Kids books because they read to you. And they've just updated the Nook HD to open up the whole Google play store. And with BN's recent tablet announcement, the Nook HD is only $129. Aaannnd, since I am a slacker who hasn't ordered a present, I can buy it in store tomorrow before the birthday on Friday?

The only thing it's missing that might be problematic is a camera. But she has access to my tablet and my phone. What she really wants to be able to do is read, watch movies, play games, and text her dad. I may get her her own google voice number.

I'll go in and look at it tomorrow during my lunch break from some really not-at-all-exciting church leadership conference :yawn

allisonintx
08-07-2013, 07:23 PM
:woohoo