PDA

View Full Version : SACH for mom's group study

keepinghome
06-22-2013, 11:15 AM
:sick I just got an email that my mom's group at church is doing SACH for their summer study.

I was thinking of saying something like: "I'll have to pray about participating as I strongly disagree with his interpretation/application of certain Scriptures (which the Catholic Church has no official stance on). I would like to recommend a less controversial, more encouraging book for future study" (The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson, or maybe a different book? I just saw Heartfelt discipline is back in print!!!)

Does that get the point across or should I go more into why I am so against it with links to offending texts etc? I'm sure I can't get them to change the book at this point since people are supposed to order their own copies. but maybe I should go I'm just really bad at speaking out IRL about my unpopular opinions (I'm an ISTJ and need to process and think about things before saying them, so its easier to do online). Its supposed to be very informal, just discussing the book no workbooks or schedule even, they are meeting at a local park for 5 weeks
I'm new to this moms group, only been to a few meetings. Ughh I'm so sad!

tigerlily
06-22-2013, 11:44 AM
I think saying something would be appropriate, but you'll probably be asked why you disagree and might come under some criticism about disagreeing with a book you've never read.:-/

If you do say something, absolutely suggest Mission of Motherhood. They might really welcome your suggestion. It might be more appropriate, too, since it's a women's group.

That stinks that you just found a group and that's what they choose.:-/ :hug2

ruhama
06-22-2013, 11:52 AM
I would say something and I would not participate in a study of that book. I would suggest some other alternatives - primarily, one that has a decent bit of free material is the Connected Families group study. http://connectedfamilies.org/

You can say something as simple as "I'm not comfortable participating in a book study involving this author. I know of another great resource that takes a lot of what people love about Tripp and applies it to the family AND it has free study materials & resources. I would love to participate in a study with these materials. :)" http://connectedfamilies.org/help-for-parents/free-stuff/

And if anyone questions you, you can just tell them again and again - I'm simply uncomfortable with this author and some of the material in his book.

keepinghome
06-22-2013, 12:29 PM
I think saying something would be appropriate, but you'll probably be asked why you disagree and might come under some criticism about disagreeing with a book you've never read.:-/

I have read it, its been several years though and I recycled it...

ThreeKids
06-22-2013, 01:08 PM
I don't think you need to read a book that uses the words "shepherding a child's heart" right there in the title, then has a whole chapter on how to spank to understand there's some cognitive dissonance going on in that book.

Little Forest
06-22-2013, 02:37 PM
There is a super wonderful thoroughly Catholic parenting book by Popcak, who has degrees in theology and psychology, I would definitely suggest as an alternative. Can't for the life of me remember the name and I am nursing in the dark here ATM.

I would speak to the parish priest about that. While that book might resonate with abusive 1950s style nuns (heavily influenced by a heresy called Janesism I might add) it really has *nothing* to do with Catholicism. Why choose a book with very flawed Protestant interpretation of Scripture when there are much better Catholic books available? Much better to stick with a book with an imprimatur!
Posted via Mobile Device

chasingbutterflies
06-22-2013, 02:39 PM
yeah, I would use the fact that you're Catholic and that book is not to your advantage, here :shifty

keepinghome
06-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Yes, definitely going to "play" the Catholic card here. Trying to find quotes from saints etc. I did find this http://www.stophitting.com/index.php?page=10reasons which was written by Popcak... and I know the book you are talking about, can't think of the name either. Parenting with Grace I think? I'm just :hunh at why they would pick this book...

Snugglebugmom
06-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Parenting with Grace I think?

:yes Parenting with Grace (http://www.amazon.com/Parenting-With-Grace-Gregory-Popcak/dp/1592766854). It doesn't conflict with Church teaching, and he is a great advocate of gentle discipline and positive parenting.

keepinghome
06-22-2013, 03:44 PM
So I sent an email to the organizer suggesting Mission of Motherhood and Parenting with Grace. And I asked who decided SACH was appropriate and who was leading the study so I could direct my concerns on the divisiveness of it to the appropriate person. I'm already feeling anxious :-/.

Little Forest
06-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Good on you for doing that! Keep us posted on how everything goes.

I would raise some Cain on this and keep going as high up as you need to. :lol

Not only does Parenting With Grace not conflict with Church doctrine, he makes a very convincing arguments *in line with* Catholic theology against punitive parenting. :yes
Posted via Mobile Device

mwwr
06-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Is the study group Catholic? I cannot imagine this being a good choice for a Catholic group (or any other:rolleyes).

keepinghome
06-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Is the study group Catholic? I cannot imagine this being a good choice for a Catholic group (or any other:rolleyes).

Yes its through our church :(

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Zooey
06-23-2013, 02:19 PM
There is a super wonderful thoroughly Catholic parenting book by Popcak, who has degrees in theology and psychology, I would definitely suggest as an alternative. Can't for the life of me remember the name and I am nursing in the dark here ATM.

I would speak to the parish priest about that. While that book might resonate with abusive 1950s style nuns (heavily influenced by a heresy called Janesism I might add) it really has *nothing* to do with Catholicism. Why choose a book with very flawed Protestant interpretation of Scripture when there are much better Catholic books available? Much better to stick with a book with an imprimatur!
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree!!
When I read SACH (I bought it at a thrift shop to keep it out of others' hands), I remember thinking that the whole thing was very skewed to the author's particular theological stance (very superconservative protestant, & that I could not understand why there were folks in mainline Christianity (like my fellow Methodists) who had liked it....I really, really find it :scratch:scratch that a Catholic group would use it, as you all are (IMHO) over here in the mainline with me.

Yeah....I would definitely mention that the book is written from a super-protestant viewpoint. I mean, as I said above, that it is really out there in a narrow field of folks. (I don't remember anything specifically anticatholic, just that it is not a book that is written for a wider Christian audience).
I've heard good things about Popcak, though have never read anything....

Rose5000
06-27-2013, 11:32 AM
maybe you can go and just listen and see if everyone there who talks about the book feels/agrees with the author, ...or if any feel differently or disagree with him....go to listen and see how far they take the ideas in there on spanking......then, after a while, maybe say something......put in your input, give a thought for them to think about, suggest that spanking isn't the only way......

??

keepinghome
06-27-2013, 10:08 PM
I emailed the woman who is in charge of the group asking who decided on the book. She said one of the moms highly recommended it and that one other person is currently reading it and she gave me her email address. So I am pretty shocked that they would pick a Protestant book on parenting based on one persons recommendation :-/ I sent an email with a few of my concerns and didn't hear back. Went to the park today for the meeting and there was only 4 of us and no one even discussed the book. :shrug

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

CelticJourney
06-28-2013, 08:18 PM
.....So I am pretty shocked that they would pick a Protestant book on parenting based on one persons recommendation....I'm surprised anyone picks any book on such a sensitive subject based on one person's recommendation.

Can'tTurnLeft
06-29-2013, 04:51 AM
The book is super Protestant. It's very theological worldview doesn't line up with Catholicism. I'm glad you are playing the Catholic card and glad you are standing up against it. It isn't just the spanking that is bad, but the core theology is very Protestant. And Tripp is an outspoken catholic hater.

CelticJourney
06-29-2013, 07:41 AM
The book is super Protestant. It's very theological worldview doesn't line up with Catholicism. I'm glad you are playing the Catholic card and glad you are standing up against it. It isn't just the spanking that is bad, but the core theology is very Protestant. And Tripp is an outspoken catholic hater.Just need to ask for clarification - you aren't saying that Protestant theology is bad (ie not comparing it to spanking) but saying that Tripp's bias is a good reason for this group to not use his materials - yes?

flowermama
06-29-2013, 09:07 AM
And Tripp is an outspoken catholic hater.

I'm assuming you don't mean that literally? :think He doesn't agree with Catholic theology, I'm sure, because though I've not read his thoughts about it, I can guess some of what he teaches due to his being a Reformed Baptist (and my being familiar with Reformed Baptist teachings because I was one until about 5 or so years ago), but that doesn't equate with hating Catholics.

I think his being a Reformed Baptist would surely seem to make that book not a good fit for a Catholic church, though, or for a lot of protestant churches, for that matter.

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

I sent an email with a few of my concerns and didn't hear back. Went to the park today for the meeting and there was only 4 of us and no one even discussed the book. :shrug

It's interesting that no one discussed the book! :think I'll pray that your concerns are heard and that it all works out well. :heart :pray4

Can'tTurnLeft
06-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Just need to ask for clarification - you aren't saying that Protestant theology is bad (ie not comparing it to spanking) but saying that Tripp's bias is a good reason for this group to not use his materials - yes?

Not saying Protestant theology is bad. Saying that because it is super Protestant it isn't a good fit for a Catholic group. I need to find the link again but he had been very clear that he doesn't believe Catholics are Christians and called the religion "petrified dung"

Little Forest
06-29-2013, 07:11 PM
I always get a kick out of Protestants who
say that Catholics aren't Christian. So I supposed there were no "Christians" before 1517!

Anyway, I grew up with the Reformed type who were very antiCatholic in thought as were the original reformers. Needless to say, *not* a good match, but some of those Reform types can rival the most sadistic old school pro corporal punishment Catholics.
Posted via Mobile Device