PDA

View Full Version : Basic Scriptural Premise

Mama2MeadowRose
01-26-2013, 08:13 PM
It would seem to people like Ezzos and Pearls, that children are inherintaly evil and that from the very beginning the parents job is to break their will and show them who is boss because they need trained right or else or else they will become rebellious.

But part of me looks at children and sees them almost as divine. Noo, I dont mean children are God. But I wonder at verses where Jesus talks about their angels in heaven seeing them and warns that nobody should ever hurt them (or else it would be better for them to drown basically). I look at my own children and I dont see evil, I see innocense. But then they hit toddlerhood and I begin to think more like Pearls and think that maybe after all they are sinful little beings who without proper training will indeed become rebellious. But I look at a small baby and the immediate thoughts or words that come to mind are: helpless, innocent, sweet, vulnerable, pure, untainted.

And if I may go a step further, I've often wondered if small children are more sensitive to the spiritual realm than we are and more receptive to God because the angels already minister to them when they are sleeping or babbling or whatever. This may sound extreme, but it's a thought.

To be a 'gentle christian mother' takes on an entirely different premise than Ezzo and Pearl's and honestly much of evangelical Christianity. And I'm honestly somewhere in the middle of those two perspectives. (Is that okay?)

DoulaClara
01-26-2013, 08:23 PM
It's all about working through things, holding up and examining what is prattled off by rote (by people who believe that children need to be beaten and harmed to be trained, shamed and ridiculed to learn, etc) to actual scripture and specific scriptural reference. And we all do it, and it's okay. :heart It's not easy. My goodness, it's ridiculously hard. We'd be millionaires if we'd have figured it out by now! :hug2

I do wonder, of where are you in the middle? I will add, parenting is a huge journey, and lots of things change along the way. Even some of the best gentle Christian "gurus" have had to change and make mistakes and learn along the way. I know Sally Clarkson speaks of it often, and so do many of the more experienced mamas on this board. As long as you maintain positive intent, extend grace, and focus on doing better every time, you're on the right path. It's why I have the awesome quote from the song Just A Test in my signature: "as long as I learn/ I will make mistakes."

rjy9343
01-28-2013, 08:43 AM
I look at my own children and I dont see evil, I see innocense. But then they hit toddlerhood and I begin to think more like Pearls and think that maybe after all they are sinful little beings who without proper training will indeed become rebellious. But I look at a small baby and the immediate thoughts or words that come to mind are: helpless, innocent, sweet, vulnerable, pure, untainted.
I don't think it is evil, sin nature, rebellion or whatever the current term that is being used. I see an socially immature little explorer. A sort of Christopher Columbus if you will. She has no idea what is out there, but she wants to learn. Unbridled curiosity and a thirst for life.
They lack the maturity to control themselves. To beat them into self control does work in the short term, but that approach lacks kindness, goodness and gentleness.
It also ignores the approach God himself takes with us. He meets us were we are. Not half way. Right where we are since that is as far as we can go.
Jesus made it pretty clear in the parable about the servant who owed money that not extending the grace we are given to others is wicked. (Not a word to use loosely).