PDA

View Full Version : Front loaders and diapers.

kiloyd
01-04-2013, 04:54 PM
What do you do?

With my first two I had a top loader and did a cold soak and hot or warm wash, no problems , easy easy! When baby was eating more solid food sometimes I'd have to do an extra rinse.

With #3 I got a front loader so no more soak cycle. Had smell issues.

This time I have Technofresh which is helping with my towels. Not all gone but much better. I'm thinking that I might do the longest cycle on hot with Technofresh every time.

I don't have a sanitary cycle.

What is your method?

Autumn
01-04-2013, 04:57 PM
:cup

cindergretta
01-04-2013, 05:04 PM
After using the front loader for several months, my dipes were mostly ruined with stink and stains that I couldn't seem to undo. :-/

I am thinking about buying a seriously *cheap* top loader just for dipes. I have to start over for this baby as all my previous dipes are ruined or given away. (My sister has had 2 babies since my last baby.) I don't want to invest in new or gently used dipes just to ruin them in my washer. :giggle

A sanitizing cycle??? That would be COOL!!! What is Technofresh?

amydawn
I have a custom cycle that I can program on my washer. It's set up as cold prewash, then sanitary wash set for the highest soil level (you could do the hottest water temp you have here), then second cold rinse & spin. I also have the extra water feature selected. I use regular HE Tide powder (up to the third line on the scoop) and a tablespoon of Rockin' Green Ammonia Bouncer in the prewash. I have had this washer for about 7 months and so far, it's just as good with the diapers as my old top loader was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amydawn
After using the front loader for several months, my dipes were mostly ruined with stink and stains that I couldn't seem to undo. :-/

I am thinking about buying a seriously *cheap* top loader just for dipes. I have to start over for this baby as all my previous dipes are ruined or given away. (My sister has had 2 babies since my last baby.) I don't want to invest in new or gently used dipes just to ruin them in my washer. :giggle

A sanitizing cycle??? That would be COOL!!! What is Technofresh?

I have a friend who has a top loader set up in her garage for just this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luciola
01-04-2013, 05:26 PM
I don't have a front loader but I do have a 5 gallon bucket that I use to pre-soak the diapers. You would obviously need to make sure it was somewhere that littles couldn't get into it. I also use rockin green funk rock to strip when necessary - might help?

Emerald Orchid
01-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Here is what I do: rinse, hot regular wash, hot speed wash, rinse twice.

One out of every three load I use Tide, then diaper wash and then blue Dawn. I put 5-6 drops of TTO in the speed wash.

I haven't had smell issues with this routine.

FTR I am SO never getting a front loader ever again!

mamamonkey
01-04-2013, 05:51 PM
When we had a front loader and I was washing dipes, I did this:

2 rinse cycles
1 hot wash with detergent
2 more rinse cycles

I also added extra water through the detergent holder sometimes.

cheri
01-04-2013, 07:22 PM
I had to stop using cloth with dd1 because the front loader wasn't working well enough. It didn't clean them well, and it didn't rinse them well, either. I was doing at least 6+ rinse cycles and they still weren't rinsed.

It was interesting that I visited my SIL during that time and washed the diapers in her regular old top loader and I was amazed that it actually cleaned them with no effort.

Not sure what to tell you- I thought the front loader was awful with diapers. (and switched to disposables and then didn't even attempt cloth with dd2 mostly because of my machine)

cindergretta
01-04-2013, 07:39 PM
:( Our septic (combined with our family size) couldn't handle all that extra water and rinsing. :-/ It is hard enough without adding in dipes. :sigh But I think I will try to part time cloth. :think I love cloth dipies. (My own dorky word.)

kiloyd
01-04-2013, 07:53 PM
What is Technofresh?

www.technofresh.net

---------- Post added at 02:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

ME TOO! I HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!! I wish it would die! Mine is 5 yrs old.

---------- Post added at 02:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

When we had a front loader and I was washing dipes, I did this:

2 rinse cycles
1 hot wash with detergent
2 more rinse cycles

I also added extra water through the detergent holder sometimes.

How many months/years did you wash like this?

Which totally defeats the purpose of saving water! This is probably what I will do. And use the Technofresh every single time. Supposed to only have to use it once a week. But I use it several times a week.

I want a top loader so badly. I'm even afraid of HE top loaders now.

---------- Post added at 02:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

Here is what I do: rinse, hot regular wash, hot speed wash, rinse twice.

One out of every three load I use Tide, then diaper wash and then blue Dawn. I put 5-6 drops of TTO in the speed wash.

I haven't had smell issues with this routine.

What is diaper wash? I do have TTO , can do that too. What do you mean "speed wash"?

mamamonkey
01-04-2013, 08:30 PM
How many months/years did you wash like this?

Which totally defeats the purpose of saving water! This is probably what I will do. And use the Technofresh every single time. Supposed to only have to use it once a week. But I use it several times a week.

I want a top loader so badly. I'm even afraid of HE top loaders now.

We lived in that house for 20 months, of which DS was in diapers for 16 months. It did totally defeat the purpose of HE. :yes But, we were renting and that's what they had. We sold our top loader before we moved b/c we had no place to put it in the rental. Laundry was upstairs and it would have been a huge pain to move all the machines ourselves. And, I couldn't stand stinky or stained dipes.

AmyDoll
01-05-2013, 06:20 AM
All that hassle would seriously tempt me to EC my baby :shifty

cheri
01-05-2013, 06:28 AM
I have also wished that my front loader would die. We've had it for 7 years and I hate it. We've had to replace the rubber ring 2-3x (and that's not cheap)

I'm so tired of hearing people say, but you must leave the door opened, do this, do that. I DO all of that. I clean it, blah blah blah. Unless there's some sort of amazing improvement in front loaders, I wouldn't get one again, either.

And yeah... the money saved on cloth diapers was spent on a bazillion rinse cycles. I had one day's stash of diapers, so I washed every day, and rinsing over and over again is time and money.

Housekat
01-05-2013, 06:42 AM
:shrug You can't get top loaders in Europe. We do a rinse and then a normal wash with another extra rinse at the end. It cleans them well enough. In the summer, we use the sun to sanitise and sun out any stains. :)

kiloyd
01-05-2013, 06:59 AM
I have also wished that my front loader would die. We've had it for 7 years and I hate it. We've had to replace the rubber ring 2-3x (and that's not cheap)

I'm so tired of hearing people say, but you must leave the door opened, do this, do that. I DO all of that. I clean it, blah blah blah. Unless there's some sort of amazing improvement in front loaders, I wouldn't get one again, either.

And yeah... the money saved on cloth diapers was spent on a bazillion rinse cycles. I had one day's stash of diapers, so I washed every day, and rinsing over and over again is time and money.

I do all that too.

cindergretta
01-05-2013, 12:09 PM
We do, too. :sigh Ours is 6.5 years old. But my dad says it is more "aged" because of our family size... :shifty :giggle I want to replace it - badly!!!