PDA

View Full Version : Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading...

Buela
08-30-2012, 09:50 AM
If you have experience with this book could you please answer the following?
Dd1 already knows her consonant sounds and short vowel sounds and is reading CVC words in her Bob Books. Should I be skipping the initial lessons in the book or doing them anyways? She is 4, almost 5 if that makes a difference.

4MKfam
08-30-2012, 10:13 AM
I'd do them anyway, just for the review and so that each lesson builds on the next. If you can keep her interested (and from what I recall, the lessons in OPG are pretty brief), I'd just start at the beginning :shrug.

Lady Grey
08-30-2012, 10:35 AM
DD started with similar skills and we skipped the first 26 lessons (letter sounds). After that there were at least a dozen lessons that she just read through before we started actual instruction.

tazmom
08-30-2012, 03:06 PM
DD started with similar skills and we skipped the first 26 lessons (letter sounds). After that there were at least a dozen lessons that she just read through before we started actual instruction.

:yes This.

With dd1, I used it more as a reference book than ordered lessons. We looked up new things as we ran across them in the Bob Books. Sometime during the last box of BB we went back and started doing all the lessons had missed. She only had a few scattered lessons and about the last third of the book left to do.

Dd2 is struggling with CVC words, so we're doing a more traditional style of lessons starting with #27. It's still slow going.

WingsOfTheMorning
08-30-2012, 03:19 PM
:cup

I think this is the book I'm going to use when we're ready for more, but we're in a similiar position with DD1 already knowing her letters and reading a few simple words.

teamommy
08-30-2012, 05:55 PM
I skip the first thirty- something lessons.

It is a long book and later lessons take longer to get through, and at different times, the tolerance for the book tanks. ;) So any time you can cut out parts that can be easily done another way, it helps.

Buela
08-30-2012, 06:10 PM
:think
I'm really not sure what I am going to do here. We did lesson 1 &2 today and it seemed quite boring to me . . . I'd like to make some progress, I feel it would be encouraging to her, she really wants to read more. But I don't want to miss a basic step and leave a gap for later either. I am so exited for her to read though, she loves reading and books so much!

Barefoot Bookworm
08-30-2012, 06:22 PM
We skipped ahead to 28 and though Athena is having no problems reading the simple words and sentences, we're going from there.

Prism
08-30-2012, 08:56 PM
It doesn't have to be boring. If you read it, so you know what each letter sounds like on its own (I'll admit i didn't know all of them :giggle) Then you can play games and make it your own really easily just using flash cards or in my case, construction paper squares with the letters written on them. :giggle

For the letters DD already knew, i clumped them together. So for example, we did S, T, V and W today because she already knew them. She has learned both of the poems so far (almost ready to start reading words!) And not only has it helped her remember the sounds of the letters, but It has made rhyming a whole lot clearer to her. :rockon