PDA

View Full Version : Dear Dr. Karp: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Calliope
08-16-2012, 12:29 PM
http://www.parents.com/baby/sleep/issues/advice/

Over the past 20 years, more sleep manuals have come and gone than any other type of parenting book. Yet some of these guides actually misguide parents and can make things even more confusing. My hope is to replace the many mistaken ideas about sleep with new insights. Here's my promise: Your child's sleep problems can be prevented or solved, quickly and lovingly, probably without "crying it out." thousands of parents have gotten more sleep with the methods you're about to learn, and I'm confident you will too.

Many sleep experts warn that moms who lull their baby to sleep in their arms or while nursing are setting themselves up for misery. They caution that these babies won't learn to self-soothe and will scream for Mama's help every time they pop awake. The advice may sound logical, but it puts parents in a terrible bind because it's totally impossible to keep a baby from zonking out when she's in a cozy cuddle with a stomach full of milk. And it's just wrong to tell parents and caregivers not to cuddle their baby to sleep. You're not spoiling your baby when you do this -- you're teaching her that you love her and that she can depend on you.

:heart

mamacat
08-16-2012, 12:35 PM
My eldest dc 1st baby was pretty high needs as a NB and she found so much help using his suggestions.......:heart

Elspeth
08-16-2012, 03:13 PM
:thumbsup

Domina
08-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Happiest Baby on the Block was my gateway to AP and gentle discipline. :-)

Joyanne
08-16-2012, 07:20 PM
I LOVE Dr. Karp's baby stuff. I thought I'd lose my mind with my last baby who had colic. His books gave me all the ideas I needed for my hard to soothe baby and made our lives bearable again. My baby got so addicted to being swaddled super tight that he could not go to sleep without being swaddled tightly until he was nearly 15 months old!!

In Christ,
Joy