PDA

View Full Version : Starting to unschool/homeschool

Annalou
07-27-2012, 10:21 AM
What are some things you look for to know when your child is ready to start school?
What are some of the first real school things you do with them?
we have been looking into an unschooling approach for early yrs learning but I'm looking for more ideas besides our playing, reading, cooking ect day "schedule"
my DD has learned a ton through us just explaining everything she's interested in but I'm starting to get a lot more comments about starting school with her ;)

Iveyrock
07-27-2012, 10:32 AM
we unschool, but we use this approach as our spine... http://project-based-homeschooling.com/camp-creek-blog/project-based-homeschooling
(that's in response to question 3 ;) )

Katigre
07-27-2012, 10:38 AM
I watch for the child to show readiness signs/interest/milestones in a certain area and then we jump into it more (this is how I start teaching reading and handwriting).

Annalou
07-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks Iveyrock, that looks like a fun/great link!! :D

saturnfire16
07-28-2012, 09:28 PM
We unschool and here are some things we do:

Go places and see things. Lots of ideas and interests are sparked by just getting out and doing something new. A library in a different town, a fair, an earth day event, a concert in the park, a play, different hikes/walks, just for a few ideas. See if someone in your town does a blog or facebook page where they list events, either for homeschoolers or just for anyone. When I lived in the city, I tried to do one new thing like that every week. Now it's harder where I live, but still something we do as often as we can.

I keep a list of the kids' interests. So if something comes up in conversation about, say, bats I'll write it down if I don't have time to help them explore that topic right then. Then every week when I plan out my week, I look at the list and do something related to those interests. So for bats we might watch some youtube videos of bats, get books on bats at the library, or see if we can find some bats somewhere near us.

Which brings me to youtube- we use it ALL the time! I can't show my kids every amazing thing in the world in real life, but seeing a video of most things is WAY better than looking at an outdated picture in a book (though we do love books too). And it's fun because vidoes of one thing lead to another thing, which just sparks more interests!

Another thing to do is projects and crafts. Don't try to do these to "teach science" or whatever. Do them for fun and the learning will happen, though be open to it being different learning than what the project intended.

Here's a list of things to do (http://sandradodd.com/strew/deblist) and another one on the right side of this page. (http://sandradodd.com/youngchildren)

---------- Post added at 04:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 AM ----------

Oh and to answer your first question- how did you know she was ready to walk? Or ready to talk? She started doing it! But you didn't wait until she was ready to talk to talk to her. Approach everything that way. Do fun and interesting things that you think she might enjoy. If she wants more of it, provide it and she will learn from it. If she doesn't like it, back off and find something else.

When people ask you about school for her you could respond in a few ways:

"School isn't compulsory until age 6. She has three years to go. :)"

"We're doing a lot of learning from real life right now. :)"

"Oh yes, we learn something new every day. :)"

Annalou
07-29-2012, 09:42 AM
thanks for all the great ideas!!
Oh yes I forget that youtube is a school thing sometimes! she's been watching these videos that scientists dissect different animals, usually ones that die in the zoo, I really like it except it relies VERY heavily on evolution :blush

MamaPepper
07-29-2012, 10:40 AM
we unschool, but we use this approach as our spine... http://project-based-homeschooling.com/camp-creek-blog/project-based-homeschooling
(that's in response to question 3 ;) )

Awesome Blossom!!! :rockon I've never seen this before and am SUPER excited to explore it since I'm starting my two oldest with HS Kindergarten this year! FUN!

teamommy
07-29-2012, 10:56 AM
I don't do what you would call formal, sit-down, school work until age 6.

Before then I look for interest and readiness with reading, writing, math, and whatever else, and just incorporate it into our day here and there. Once they understand letter sounds and are able to blend sounds for very short words), I do sit down for 5-15 minutes per day and have reading lessons. For two children that has been around age 5. My next one looks like she may be a little earlier, but we'll see.

At 3.5 IMO there is no need to do anything in particular beyond what you would do with her anyway: learning simple chores, cooking, reading books, taking them places, and talking about whatever comes up.

saturnfire16
07-29-2012, 12:00 PM
thanks for all the great ideas!!
Oh yes I forget that youtube is a school thing sometimes! she's been watching these videos that scientists dissect different animals, usually ones that die in the zoo, I really like it except it relies VERY heavily on evolution :blush

We've found videos of dissections on youtube that I think are college students doing class projects. They just talk about the straight facts usually- this is the lungs, this is the heart, etc.