PDA

View Full Version : All those nights I spent singing to my baby...

Amber
04-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Have had an unintended side effect.

DS1 was a terrible sleeper. He had trouble falling asleep and woke up frequently. I used to sing Amazing Grace to him over and over and over trying to get him to sleep. It was the one song I could sing that would keep my overtired anger at bay. It calmed both me and my little baby.

Flash forward 7.5 years. DS1 wasn't feeling good tonight. His head hurt, then his stomach started to get upset. He came down after bedtime multiple times. I was feeling tired and frustrated myself trying to recover from a bad day of allergies. I finally pulled him up to snuggle with me on my recliner, tucked a warm blanket around both of us and once again quietly sang Amazing Grace to my not so little boy. He started out squirming and whining, then I felt his breathing slow,and his body relax and before I finished the song he was asleep. :heart

Just like that, countless hours spent singing that song in the dark hours of the night pay off. :heart

Atarah
04-02-2012, 10:12 PM
:happytears

:hearts

Codi
04-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Thank you for sharing that!

:heart

L-Boogie
04-02-2012, 11:50 PM
:heart. That's very touching :heart

backtobasicsmum
04-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Awwwww! :heart

The Tickle Momster
04-03-2012, 04:51 AM
:hearts

NovelMama
04-03-2012, 06:25 AM
Awww! Poor little guy. So glad you thought of that! :)

I also sing Amazing Grace to my girls. They each have a 4 song "playlist" that I've sung to them since birth. Partly hymns, partly Christmas carols (Away in the Manger, Silent Night) - I often wonder, though, if I'm messing them up for life, and if they're going to get triggered into sleep during church services! :giggle

princesspoet
04-03-2012, 06:39 AM
that's amazing! we sing a medley of Jesus loves me and All night, All day Angels watching over me. :heart

believer
04-03-2012, 06:47 AM
:heart aww, and if you think he is big now - just wait. My ds is 12 and is 5 inches taller than me and a couple of months ago when he was sick, he tried to curl up on the couch and put his head in my lap - he was so big that he really did not fit well, but he still wanted to snuggle with mom when he did not feel well.

Niphredil
04-03-2012, 06:55 AM
:heart:heart:heart

Mama4ever
04-03-2012, 06:59 AM

FaithnPraise
04-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Sooo sweet! :heart

And why am I the goofball (not sure if that language is allowed here :O) that never thought to sing a known song, I'm always racking my brain trying to MAKE UP a song to sing to my kiddos?!?!?! :banghead

MercyInDisguise
04-03-2012, 09:48 AM

mamamonkey
04-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Amazing Grace works like that for us too. And Love Lifted Me. I have sung them to DS since birth and he calms instantly when I start them. :heart

Dovenoir
04-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Jesus keep me near the cross is this song for us. :heart

3boysforme
04-03-2012, 10:55 AM
I have a made up song for Gage that instantly calms him, I have sung it to him since he was a baby. :heart

ICUmum
04-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Beautiful and so encouraging! :heart

ArmsOfLove
04-03-2012, 10:40 PM
so beautiful :heart And so worth it!

that was also our "go to sleep song". That's what the children would call it when they heard it :heart

Radosny Matka
04-04-2012, 04:04 AM

princesspoet
04-04-2012, 12:39 PM
talking about made up songs, I had a silly one when E was about 3/4 months old and was going through the peak of his reflux/undiagnosed dairy intolerance.

Don't say NO to mummy's booby
Booby is your bestfriend,
You like booby.

Booby gives you food when you're hungry x2
Booby gives you drink when you're thirsty x2
Booby makes you well when you're poorly x2
Booby gives you comfort when you want some x2

Don't say NOoooooooooo to mummy's booooooby!

:blush

Frankly I think it was more to remind myself why I was still nursing seeing as he was rejecting and when he did feed he used to puke.

Nice memory though! :heart

lynsimarie
04-04-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm new here, pregnant with my first baby, and terrified a lot of the time! I'm already overwhelmed, wondering if I have what it takes to be a good Mom, how I'll survive, if I'll totally mess up my kids...etc, etc, etc.

Thank you for sharing this sweet story! It makes me think that maybe I can do it, and that it'll all REALLY be worth it.

Rugayatu
04-10-2012, 12:06 PM
I have sung Amazing Grace to DD since she was born as well. I remember those long, sleepless nights when she was a few months old sometimes I would count how many times I had sung it, just to help keep myself awake. I got up to around 28/29 times singing through all 5 verses one night before I finally lost count...

Although she usually asks for "O Little Town of Bethlehem" these days, Amazing Grace is still one of our go-tos. :heart

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Oh, and Lynsi, you can do it with God's strength and it will all TOTALLY be worth it! Being a mama is one of the best things in the whole world. :love