PDA

View Full Version : 1 year old. Separation Anxiety

Dovenoir
03-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Talk to me about how you AP'd your preverbal toddler through early seperation anxiety.

What worked?

What quirky thing did you find worked in your situation?

What did you do that DIDN'T involve baby wearing?

<I need a pep talk to get through this stage>

Codi
03-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Do you mean like just going into another room? Or are you trying to completely leave baby with dh or a babysitter to go out of the house?

Dovenoir
03-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Do you mean like just going into another room? Or are you trying to completely leave baby with dh or a babysitter to go out of the house?

Sometimes just to put him down and sit 2 feet away.. although the biggest panics seem to come when I'm either out of sight but not hearing range, or I'm behind a gate but visible.

Leaving him with someone else seems eons away right now... even though we've done a few short stints at a friend's house.

tofufoofoo
03-27-2012, 07:48 PM
:popcorn

DD2 has severe separation anxiety. Its worse being in her sight vs. even leaving her with someone else for a few hours. Being there but busy makes her way more stressed :shrug3

No other solution besides baby wearing here and she's getting HEAVY. We're working on introducing a lovey.

Codi
03-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Sometimes just to put him down and sit 2 feet away.. although the biggest panics seem to come when I'm either out of sight but not hearing range, or I'm behind a gate but visible.

Leaving him with someone else seems eons away right now... even though we've done a few short stints at a friend's house.

:hugheart I never leave mine until they have weaned so I understand it feeling like it is eons away.

As far as the anxiety even when you are close, I have not BTDT so Im afraid I have no good advice that is not baby wearing. If I think of something, Ill come back. :hug

Waterlogged
03-27-2012, 08:26 PM
We had good luck with loveys/blankies at that age.

At about 15 months?-ish, I started realizing that DD understood far more than I gave her credit for, and so I started talking her through difficult situations, prepping her beforehand, telling her what to expect, etc. IN hindsight, I could have started sooner.

I also would get her involved with playing with something, and then slowly back away (if I was just going to the bathroom or whatever). We had a really open floor plan at the time, and so I was almost always line-of-sight.

Anytime she was playing/occupying herself independently, I snuck around quietly, letting her play as long as possible by herself. :shifty

Hope
12-23-2012, 09:17 PM
We found many of the ideas in Elizabeth pantley's no-cry separation anxiety solution extremely helpful at this age. I remember feeling like she had hit the ball out of the park when we started trying them. We has a helpful website too.

Dovenoir
12-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks for bumping this =)

He did come through the "must be touching you" stage about 2 months after I wrote this.

Still won't go to anyone else unless he knows them well and has been with them for more than 20 minutes.

DS2 is due next month; Leaving him with grandparents for the hospital stay makes me :shiver

I know they'll put him in the P&P in their room... but as far as him accepting their comfort. That's yet to be seen. :nails

MIL had him in Sunday school in October and he was hysterical and gagging after 20 minutes. DH got a huge earful (I thought he was staying in the class with him or I would have.)

Other kids have been the key to keeping his attention divided.