PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a quick escape...

olive
03-17-2012, 03:33 AM
My sister used to be so independent but now she has two littles under two and I think she's finding it hard to just jump in the car and get out sometimes. Please help me with some ideas on how to make it easier to drop everything and get out the door. My suggestions to her were:
-keep a bag of clothes in the car (denim pants, plain tops, shoes), so you don't have to grab extra things when you're getting ready to go out
-keep swimmers/towel/suncream in the car so you can stop at the beach anytime
-remember you can grab your kids and some bananas and you don't need much else
Please add some more ideas for her!

MomtoJGJ
03-17-2012, 04:49 AM
keep some sposies in the car so that if you forget to pick up a bag or it doesn't have any, you don't have to worry about it. Other than that, no one really cares if a baby is in jammies. ;) Just go. Oh, it's also helpful to keep an extra pair of shoes in the car so that if you can't find the kids shoes in the house, you at least have a pair in the car.

WanderingJuniper
03-17-2012, 05:01 AM
We kept a box of non perishable drinks and snacks in the car. Diapers, wipes, trash bag, change of clothes for each child, blanket to toss on the ground a few fun books, balls and bubbles.

I had three 3 years old and younger. The freedom to run to the park w/o packing my house each time was so helpful.

Now that they are older we still keep much of that in the car still. Really only dropped the diapers and bubbles.

Earthmummy07
03-17-2012, 05:09 AM
I just used to restock my changing bag when ever we got in so all I had to do was grab and go. Swimming stuff was all kept together in a separate bag.

I didn't have a car though; I can see the wisdom of keeping it in the car :yes

Zephan
03-17-2012, 05:54 AM
Our car is our second house. We have a spare set of clothes/shoes for everyone in there, as well as a few spare towels/blankets.

I always have water bottles filled up in the fridge, which we grab before we leave the house (nothing worse than getting stuck out with thirsty kids!). I also second the idea of restocking the nappy bag when you get home (although its always good to have emergency supplies in the car just in case!), and leave the nappy bag near the door.

Our car also usually has a random assortment of toys/books in there, as well as a picnic blankets/foldup chairs, and some balls, just in case we end up at a park.

Fruit is an easy snack to grab on the way out, as is rice crackers. We usually have a bag with rice crackers, sunglasses and hats, ready to throw in some fruit and go.

MomtoJGJ
03-17-2012, 05:57 AM
Thinking about it... I think the biggest thing that has helped me was to teach my children that they will not die going two hours without eating or drinking. The only time I have kids begging for food or drink is if we are with friends who are eating or drinking. So basically if it's just us out and about, I don't have to worry about snacks/drinks.

Zephan
03-18-2012, 04:21 AM
Thinking about it... I think the biggest thing that has helped me was to teach my children that they will not die going two hours without eating or drinking. The only time I have kids begging for food or drink is if we are with friends who are eating or drinking. So basically if it's just us out and about, I don't have to worry about snacks/drinks.

Where we live, it gets incredibly hot during summer (regularly up to 113 fahrenheit, and rarely below 90 fahrenheit). Our summer also is loooong, with hot weather starting in September, and lasting through to march-april. It was 91 yesterday! The sun also makes things feel a lot hotter. If I was to leave the house without water, I guarantee I would need to buy some. Yes, the kids might not die without water for 2 hrs, but in this heat I can't go that long without water. Even more so if we are walking, at the park, or outside doing anything really! I also get cranky if I don't snack regularly, and so do my kids. Again, they might not die, but life is definitely more pleasant if everyone is fed and hydrated!

delightedmama
03-18-2012, 06:07 PM
We just keep a small backpack on a hook by the door. It has clean pants in case of an accident (when she wore diapers it was a cover + a prefold), some toilet paper or napkins for bathroom or runny noses, a sippy nalgene, and a little bit of money in case something else is needed (snacks etc.). I used to pack other things like a book to keep her entertained, but everywhere other than home is entertaining enough on its own :yes I grab it whenever we leave (we rarely drive anywhere) and can be gone all day (ECing helps with that part).

MarynMunchkins
03-18-2012, 06:15 PM
I used to keep a cooler in my car that always had water and juice boxes in it. I bought those things specifically for the car. :)