PDA

View Full Version : needs to nurse to sleep, but won't nurse to sleep anymore!

marbles
03-12-2012, 12:30 PM
So Lucca can put herself to sleep at night and does probably 50-75% of the time. She nurses, I lay her down, give her her water and say goodnight. But during the day she will only go to sleep on her own if she's way beyond tired. Like if I am about to lose it because she has already lost it. In those cases, she's crying at every little thing so I put her in her room, tell her she needs a break and leave. She cries for less than a minute and is out. She'll nap well if she can actually fall asleep nursing, but it takes all of 15-25 minutes and most of the time when I'm here by myself I just don't have that amount of time to devote to her. I can't leave DC to cry for 20 minutes just so she can fall asleep how she wants. She has to be completely out to lay her down for a nap, even if she's in light sleep when I unlatch her she wakes up and won't go back to sleep. If she doesn't fall asleep I put her on the bed and she'll lay there awake until I come to get her. She's stayed on her bed talking for over an hour before she even called for me. When she doesn't take a nap she's falling apart before dinner, and she's fallen asleep just sitting on the couch. How can I teach her to nap? I'm really hating nursing her right now and am considering weaning her if it doesn't get better, but we can't just drop naps altogether if I do. I need another way to get her to sleep. The car is unpredictable for DC and is not always available to me so that isn't really an option.
For stats: (these are non-DST times) she goes to bed at 8, sleeps through the night or wakes once at 1230ish and wakes 630-730. When she naps it's a little over an hour at who knows when. anywhere from 11-2

Kiara.I
03-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Back carrier? I used to toss kids on my back and let them pass out.

I had one kid who preferred to nurse, then to be wrapped in a blanket and held until falling asleep.

Would she fall asleep while listening to a story?

Or my friend got a particular CD that was "quiet time." If her son fell asleep while listening? :tu Great. If not, he could get up when the CD was over. At least that way he was staying put for the 45 minutes or an hour or whatever.

mamacat
03-12-2012, 12:53 PM
At that age it can just mean getting them still.Can you lie down with her while DC i s nursing and put a book on tape on for her like other poster suggested or read to her?

marbles
03-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks, she won't fall asleep being worn anymore. I haven't tried a book on cd. Normally she falls asleep to music while she nurses, but it doesn't help if she's not nursing. Perhaps having words to focus on would help her. I'll try that