PDA

View Full Version : Weaning from the Bottle

NearToHisHeart
02-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Hello,

I'm a first time Mom of a 16 month old and we are trying to wean him from the bottle. He only goes to the bottle for comfort just during his daytime nap and at night. There is no formula in the bottle, just water. Does any one have any Gentle Mom ideas of how we can transition hi off the bottle? (It would be great if you could post this on Facebook, since I look at that more often). Thanks!

Barefoot Bookworm
02-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Ours gradually weaned from the bottle themselves. We didn't do anything but formula in a bottle and they went down to 3 bottles a day at 7 months, 2 at 9 months, and dropped the last at 11/12 months.

Domina
02-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks for asking! Our 16 month old also LOVES his "bopper" and shows no signs of self-weaning. Will be :popcorn for ideas.

mamacat
02-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Is there a reason why you want to take the bottle away from him? Many todfdlers are still nursing at 16 months and need sucking for more than just nourishment. It is the same with bottle fed babies.

hey mommy
02-18-2012, 11:21 AM
:popcorn My 2 year old is still using his too.

BearyBlessed
02-18-2012, 01:22 PM
I was unable to breastfeed, so I wanted to treat bottle feeding as I would nursing. I let Aji self-wean. I enjoyed the bonding time since he was never much of a snuggler.

I think he daytime weaned somewhere between 2-2.5 and he was night weaned once he started sleeping through the night a little before he turned 3. We did take a more active approach at the end with the night time weaning by just putting less and less in his bottle until it was only an ounce or two.

Rabbit
02-18-2012, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't mess with such a young toddler taking a water bottle to sleep. He can keep that up for another year or two or three.

Auroras mom
02-18-2012, 04:14 PM
shhhhhhhh

My soon-to-be six year old still likes a bottle now and then.....:jawdrop

mamacat
02-18-2012, 05:10 PM
My exclusively BF 5th child had never had a bottle and then when started caring for a little boy who had a bottle had to get her one so she wouldnt take his away.It was the largest pink bottle I could find nd she wanted a drink from that bottle for quite awhile.......

WildFlower
02-22-2012, 03:02 PM
since he's only getting water in the bottle could you transition him to a pacifier? They still really have the need to suck and a pacifier at least would be a bit easier on you so you didn't have to fill a bottle and give it to him at night. That way he's still fulfilling his need to suck but it might be a little more convenient.

aleigh
02-24-2012, 07:53 PM
With DS I gradually reduced the # of ounces in his bottle until we were down to about 2 ounces at night. Then I just didn't give him one again. He was totally fine without it at that point.

LadyofReason
02-28-2012, 02:41 PM
For only water at nap and night, I'd just leave it. Same reasons as above. At that age many still have a need to suck. Since he is happy with the water, you don't need to worry about his teeth so that isn't a consideration.
Is there any other reason you wanted to wean?