PDA

View Full Version : When you need a reset button...

thrillofhope
02-13-2012, 09:20 AM
We had one of those mornings this morning where the morning started out whiney, and just got worse and worse. These are the times that I get most frustrated, and really need a reset button to make it through the day. So I was thinking about my reset buttons and I wanted to know if everyone would share theirs.

1. Put the kids in the bathtub. They both like this so much it helps them sort of reset from whiney to happy.

2. Play with them. I'm usually frustrated because I'm trying to do something productive and they need me to play. Well, I'm not getting my productive thing done anyway, so I may as well stop trying and play for a few minutes.

3. Sometimes changing rooms helps for my littlest. He'll be unhappy in the living room but perfectly content in the bedroom. On really hard days we switch every 20 minutes or so.

4. VACUUM! This doesn't work for both kids anymore, but when Doodlebug was a baby and crying a lot the vacuum put her to sleep and gave us both a break. Smiley just thinks it's funny. :shrug

Okay, so everybody share... what works for you?

Happygrl
02-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Good thread!

Go on a walk.

Ice cream. :shifty

Head to a park or indoor playground.

Shaving cream finger play is always a sure bet here.

Chase or some running game. My kids love to have me tell them something like "Run around the kitchen 4 times, touch E's bed, go stand in my shower stall, hug Mama."

Serenity
02-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Love this question! For us, it's:

Bake biscuits or scones - makes a mess, but it's fun and there's no worries if anyone eats the dough.

Shower with Mama and toddler. She plays, I sit in the warm water and relax (if only for 5 minutes!)

Clean something! I give her a spray bottle of water and a rag and let her go crazy - meanwhile I get something done that helps me feel (a little) productive.

Go jump on a bed, or take the crib mattress and put it in the living room. Gets out some energy and distracts for long enough so I can drink a cup of tea!

Sonata
02-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Reading books and cuddling is usually good for us. It is the only (ONLY) thing that my son will calm his body down for, and that's usually what I need -- to calm down our frenetic pace. Actually, that's probably what he needs too.

I'm interested to hear other ideas! I had never thought of it this way!

lalaithnil
02-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Nonnies, nonnies, and more nonnies. BEST.RESET.EVER. :)
B also really loves my tummy :shifty so sometimes I just lift up my shirt and she goes from :mad to :cheer immediately. :lol

jmom1984
02-13-2012, 06:49 PM
I do your #2 a lot!

Cooking/baking is big for us too. Even if we don't have time for cookies, something quick like pudding will do.

Eat! Along the same lines as cooking, only more instantly gratifying :)

Lately, with my 4yo I have started actually declaring an official "Do-over" Like, if we are running late in the morning, both grumpy and not speaking to each other kindly, she is not cooperating to finish what needs to be done to get out the door... I will say in a super excited, pleasant voice, "Time for a do-over!" And then I tell her how neither one of us is treating each other kindly, and we can just start all over again and try it a different way. Then I leave her room, close the door, walk right back in and say in an outrageously sweet voice, "Good morning Julia! It's time to get dressed for church! Here are your clothes that we picked out together last night... etc." She is really responding well to it. It means I am admitting to not behaving kindly either, and that makes her much more willing to try again since I am too. And while it took a little explaining the first couple times, she now really understands it and will even declare "Time for a do-over!" herself when we start having a conflict. :rockon

ValiantJoy07
02-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Going outside
Making a snack

Putting on the Tv and locking myself in the bathroom, turning on the fan, and sitting down :shifty and reading an article or closing my eyes for a bit , alone. Some times resetting *me* and getting some space is what we need the most.

Going to target to play with toys

Grabbing some apples and a blanket and going tor a "picnic" at our favorite park.

Building a fort out of blankets and sheets, taking flashlights and a pile of books...after a fee books theyvsrr usually inspired to play on their own.m

Praise and worship music (myblityles love youtube videos by Jesus Culture) - dancing to worship music seems to clear the cranky out of the air and gets us all a bit of exercise.

librarianjojo
02-15-2012, 12:18 PM
I usually look around to see if any of my routine didn't get done this morning. Usually the bed isn't made, or I didn't get out of the PJs or there are still dishes in the sink from last night. Any of those can throw off a new day. Am I the only one who can't function correctly with an unmade bed?

jmom1984
02-15-2012, 01:07 PM
I usually look around to see if any of my routine didn't get done this morning. Usually the bed isn't made, or I didn't get out of the PJs or there are still dishes in the sink from last night. Any of those can throw off a new day. Am I the only one who can't function correctly with an unmade bed?

I do tend to feel better when the bed is made, but often it still isn't. :shifty
I TOTALLY kwym about yesterday (or part of today) being undone and throwing today off. If I go to bed with toys still scattered everywhere, or dishes undone, or the table covered in clutter, then seeing that when I wake up is enough start the whole day off wrong. Sometimes I still do it, but I am learning that I will regret leaving it there and will feel so much better and ready to conquer a new day if I wake up to a neat house.

Sonata
02-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Oh my goodness, I NEVER wake up to a neat house. Unless DS has been out of it. :doh