PDA

View Full Version : Church nursery cartoon

Kernigemom
01-23-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm looking for one that expresses this:

Yesterday at church the sermon was really good - there was talk about the father heart of God, and how God is the only perfect Father. They talked about how God wants to heal those whose parents were very much less than perfect.

I sat in the nursery (with M) listening and thought about how, in our church culture, it is perfectly acceptable for parents to leave their screaming children in the nursery to go listen to a message about how our Heavenly Father will never leave us or forsake us...

Surely someone somewhere has depicted something like this? I'd try to draw it, but my giftings are not in the artistry department.

BabyMonsterMommy
01-23-2012, 09:25 AM
I don't think leaving a child in the nursery is the same as God "leaving or forsaking" one of His children. I am not for CIO in the nursery. I don't believe that every single child calms down after 5 minutes and then plays fine till service is over. But I don't think they are comparable. :-/

I mean, it's a great idea to make or find a cartoon about God comforting His children or God bringing peace and love to our souls with the FOTS. I dunno. I'm probably the only one who doesn't think they're comparable.

klpmommy
01-23-2012, 09:29 AM
But I've seen first hand way more than crying for a few minutes then playing. I've seen the parent hand a terrified screaming toddler to the nursery worker with explicit instructions to not get them short of a big emergency. Then the parent went for SS & church without looking back. And that is a huge disconnect.

Auroras mom
01-23-2012, 09:39 AM
I don't think leaving a child in the nursery is the same as God "leaving or forsaking" one of His children. I am not for CIO in the nursery. I don't believe that every single child calms down after 5 minutes and then plays fine till service is over. But I don't think they are comparable. :-/

I mean, it's a great idea to make or find a cartoon about God comforting His children or God bringing peace and love to our souls with the FOTS. I dunno. I'm probably the only one who doesn't think they're comparable.

I definitely think it is comparable. To an infant or toddler, a parent is all they know of security, safety, love, and comfort. They are the physical presence of God in that child's life. And it is ludicrous, when they are left to cry, so the parent can go "get fed." It teaches them, on a fundamental spiritual level in my opinion, that church and God are not safe.

I think the cartoon idea is wonderful, OP, and perhaps I could get my dh to help you out. I will ask when I next speak to him.

Kernigemom
01-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Cool, Aurora's mom! That would be really pretty awesome! I think I just would like it to be food for thought and encouragement for quite a few parents I've seen who are reluctant to leave their kids in the nursery but believe that's what they are supposed to do. It would also help me explain to some why I have spent the last 3 years listening to the sermon in the foyer... :giggle

klpmommy, yes, and I've seen it where the parents specifically asked to be called if the child cries at all, the child was still very upset after 30 minutes or more, and the nursery worker either thought they could handle it or "didn't want to bother the parents". :no3

Anyway, I think nurseries are great, once the kids are ready and are happy to be there. :shrug3

rjy9343
01-26-2012, 11:22 AM
I definitely think it is comparable. To an infant or toddler, a parent is all they know of security, safety, love, and comfort. They are the physical presence of God in that child's life. And it is ludicrous, when they are left to cry, so the parent can go "get fed." It teaches them, on a fundamental spiritual level in my opinion, that church and God are not safe.

That is a great point. I like that you used get fed. It would never cross my mind to tell my daughter that she needs to wait until I eat before I meet her need for security, safety and love. I have found ways to meet those needs while meeting my need for food or what have you, but never at her expense.
OP if you can work something like that into your cartoon, it may give people something tangible that would make sense to them.

Chaos Coordinator
01-26-2012, 11:36 AM
This thread reminded me of how I was constantly checking on h in the nursery when he was going through his separation anxiety phase. I feel better now. Man it's astonishing how much the brain can just forget during times of trauma :shifty

Naxi
02-06-2012, 06:59 AM
:popcorn

Waiting for someone to come up with that cartoon!