darth vader
ghostbuster
astronaut
mail man
magician
doctor
pirate
military

for now, they are just in cube bins. You know, the cloth ones that you can get at Target? But, if he wants to dress up as a character, he ends up dumping all the bins to find the one costume/piece he is looking for.

Back when we had a bigger house I wanted to set up a hook system where each costume was in a sack hung from a hook with a picture and description of the costume on the outside. The house we are in now does not allow for that.

Would you still do sacks and just keep them in the cubes? I hesitate because it feels like that might limit creativity in blending the different toys.

WWYD?

Niphredil
01-03-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't bother. They get mingled so quickly anyway. Mine never seem to want to be a character, but rather a firefighter doctor princess with a cape and sunglasses.

jandjmommy
01-06-2012, 08:18 AM
For DD5, who has at least a dozen dresses, I have a garment rack that has a shelf on top & bottom. You can get it for about $30 at Bed Bath and Beyond (cheaper with coupon :) ). I put it on the lowest level so she can easily rehang the dresses. Her crowns [you could do hats] go on the top shelf. Regular plastic hangers work better than child size hangers.
The bottom shelf holds a bin for accessories -- purses, shoes, gloves, etc. (for boys, that could be masks, pirate accessories, etc.)

She also has a toy box that holds dress up that doesn't hang easily -- skirts, boas, capes, etc.

For DS, who at 7 still loves to dress up, I have 2 large lidded cloth bins (purchased at Walmart) -- one for the soft costumes, and one for the hard parts of the costumes -- armor, masks, shields, and hats.
He also has a bin for guns, pirate accessories, etc. as these are often played with without dressing up.