PDA

View Full Version : DH's grandma is awesome!

MercyInDisguise
12-25-2011, 07:22 PM
DH's grandma is 84, and very naive in a lot of ways, and deals with a lot of anxiety. She was abused as a child and young adult, and is a doormat in a lot of ways. She really responds to "authority," or anyone who speaks with authority, but apparently she really bucked that with her parenting! She has 5 sons and 1 daughter (DH's mom (who is the exact opposite of a doormat in every possible way :roll)).

At Thanksgiving, I was talking to her about C's sleep problems, and she asked me if anyone had told me that I needed to let him cry in his crib. I said yes, and braced myself for her to tell me what the "experts" had told her to do, and how well it worked. She said, "Oh, people were always telling me I held my babies too much, and telling me I had to let them cry themselves to sleep. It always seemed so silly to me and I always loved rocking and nursing them to sleep." :heart

Today MIL was telling her about how she was working in the nursery at church this AM and a 3 y/o boy was holding a wooden puzzle up over his head about to throw it. MIL told him not to throw it. He threw it anyway, and when she told him to pick it up, he started yelling, "No, no, no!" and throwing a fit. GMIL asked, "How did you discipline him?" MIL responded that she went to get his dad, and he took it from there (most likely a spanking or two or twenty, knowing the parents). GMIL said, "Oh, I didn't mean punishment, I meant discipline." :jawdrop She said, whenever her kids did something like that, if she told them to do something, she would make it happen by helping them walk over to it, pick it up, and do whatever she had told them to do!

She was an AP and GOYB mom before her time. :heart:heart:heart

Frostbit Phoenix
12-25-2011, 08:14 PM
:rockon
Posted via Mobile Device

kiloyd
12-25-2011, 08:16 PM
:rockon
Posted via Mobile Device

:yes :heart

Tandem mama
12-25-2011, 08:17 PM
How awesome!!!!

cindergretta
12-25-2011, 08:28 PM
:heart

Damselfly
12-25-2011, 09:24 PM
:happytears:heart

shekinah
12-25-2011, 11:11 PM
That is really neat! How awesome to hear her use the same "language" and everything, haha.

Interesting though how DH's mom (who, if I'm reading right, is GMIL's daughter?) maybe has a different approach? I would think the kids of GOYB parenting would have similar associations instilled in them. Is DH's mom generally Ap/GOYB as well? Just curious :)

Mokek Kwe
12-25-2011, 11:21 PM
wow, that is totally awesome!!! :heart

MercyInDisguise
12-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Interesting though how DH's mom (who, if I'm reading right, is GMIL's daughter?) maybe has a different approach? I would think the kids of GOYB parenting would have similar associations instilled in them. Is DH's mom generally Ap/GOYB as well?

MIL is very open to AP/GOYB ideas. She did spank DH and his siblings growing up, but I would say it was more of a last resort for her. GMIL spanked also, but again, as a last resort. MIL respects the fact that we don't/won't spank, and is very open to alternative discipline ideas when she watches C. It's a good situation all around. :tu