PDA

View Full Version : Building Confidence in them

made4more
12-14-2011, 09:36 PM
I'd like to come up w/ a list of ways to help build confidence in my kiddos.

all age groups.

I've been letting dd9 help with cooking more often. she loves that, and i tell her how she's getting better etc.

I play games with dd4 that she's not "old enough" for and tell her how wonderful she is at it (not lieing, she really is)

I let ds6 do jobs that are kindof "man jobs for strong guy muscles" like lifting boxes or screwing screws in etc.

Amaya is 2, that's easty.. :giggle

dd8, I tell her what a good big sister she is etc while reading to her siblings.

I do a lot more, but these are what comes to the top of my head and what I've been doing lately. What kinds of things do you do? I want to build this and it's not second nature.. my self-esteem/confidence is so not happenin'.

hotnostril
12-15-2011, 11:38 AM
I ask for input on things like decorating, scheduling, what to make for dinner, wardrobe etc. I try as often as possible to go with their choice, within reason. I am still the parent and get the final say. I'm interested in their opinions and feelings on all topics so we talk, all the time, about darn near everything. They both feel like I value them, their feels and trust that I really do have their best interest in mind 100% of the time.

trish101
12-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Looking forward to reading more- dd is 4.5 and I'd love to work on building confidence in her. She waffles between very confident and not very confident at all. I have very little confidence so building it doesn't come naturally.

Thanks for the ideas so far :-)

Milonna
12-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Looking forward to reading more- dd is 4.5 and I'd love to work on building confidence in her. She waffles between very confident and not very confident at all. I have very little confidence so building it doesn't come naturally.

Thanks for the ideas so far :-)

Me too! I need some ideas myself, have just joined here and I'm already loving it :giggle

olive
12-27-2011, 04:22 AM
I was once given some good advice that self esteem/confidence is built by attempting challenging things and achieving them (and that 'trying again' is a big part of that). I'm always so pleased when I see one of my dds try something and then keep trying until they get it, and I know that they are learning so much through that.