PDA

View Full Version : I want to love prefolds

gerberadaisy
12-14-2011, 10:03 AM
but I just don't. First, they leak but that could be because they're not at their full absorbancy. We've only been using cloth a week and no lotion/cream so I'm pretty sure they don't need stripping.

Second, & my biggest complaint is my 1 month old son has a buffalo butt! I know they're bulkier, but when he lays on his back, his feet don't touch the floor! Tummy time is harder as well because of the bulk. I've trifolded, bikini folded, & angel folded. bikini would be my fav, and the angel folds a joke because the ends are hard to snappi. What am I doing wrong? we use the sized cpf (infant not newborn) from nicki's diapers for all three and trio fold econobums. We use thirsty duo wraps and econobum wraps interchangeably. Any advice?

DoulaClara
12-14-2011, 10:27 AM
:think

As far as the absorbancy, did you wash/dry/wash/dry five to seven times before wearing them? They may need another round.

Depending on his size, it might take a bit for the prefolds to work on his body. Weds had little skinny legs at birth, and that newborn tadpole belly, and prefolds were tricky for a long time. It's also kind of a learning curve to figure out the best way to fold them for you. :heart What about trying a "jelly roll" type fold? It's my favorite one for all ages. Let's see if I can explain it correctly (and if I can't, maybe I'll go get out a teddy bear and the camera!)

I place baby on the prefold, with the back edge of the prefold lined up with his belly button. The edges, from the middle of the side, get rolled towards the middle. In other words, it's almost like you're making a pretend scroll that has rolls on each side. I don't roll all the way to the front edge of the prefold- the part that goes over the belly- I just roll the middle and pull that up between the baby's legs, and it makes a pretty good seal around legs. The front part gets tucked around the belly, the back corners of the prefold get pulled over the belly part and Snappi'ed together.

gerberadaisy
12-14-2011, 10:53 AM
:think

As far as the absorbancy, did you wash/dry/wash/dry five to seven times before wearing them? They may need another round.

Depending on his size, it might take a bit for the prefolds to work on his body. Weds had little skinny legs at birth, and that newborn tadpole belly, and prefolds were tricky for a long time. It's also kind of a learning curve to figure out the best way to fold them for you. :heart What about trying a "jelly roll" type fold? It's my favorite one for all ages. Let's see if I can explain it correctly (and if I can't, maybe I'll go get out a teddy bear and the camera!)

I place baby on the prefold, with the back edge of the prefold lined up with his belly button. The edges, from the middle of the side, get rolled towards the middle. In other words, it's almost like you're making a pretend scroll that has rolls on each side. I don't roll all the way to the front edge of the prefold- the part that goes over the belly- I just roll the middle and pull that up between the baby's legs, and it makes a pretty good seal around legs. The front part gets tucked around the belly, the back corners of the prefold get pulled over the belly part and Snappi'ed together.
yea, I washed them seven or so times before use. I'll google the jelly roll and maybe we'll try that. So I'll be patient to see if he grows into them a bit more before giving up altogether. We really like the kissaluvs contours as they don't give him that super bulky look and we have a few pockets but I really want to love the prefolds. I'll give it time.

marbles
12-14-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm not a fan of prefolds either. I had mine made into contours for Deuce, but I haven't tried them out yet (obviously, since the baby's not here). I could never get over the bulk, either.

itzj
12-14-2011, 11:04 AM
I don't like them either. We ended up ordering bumgenius and just stuffing our prefolds inside. If that's not an option, you might like flats better and could move to those once he outgrows the infant prefolds. For us that was really fast.

gerberadaisy
12-14-2011, 12:38 PM
I don't like them either. We ended up ordering bumgenius and just stuffing our prefolds inside. If that's not an option, you might like flats better and could move to those once he outgrows the infant prefolds. For us that was really fast.

I have a dozen flats, that were bought for my hubby when he was a baby. I do like those and use them. I see a lot more pockets and contours in my future, but we still have some prefolds that we haven't touched yet, as they are super big. I was preparing for the next stage & Got a little over zealous.

Marbles, how do you make them into contours? That might be an option for us with the larger ones.

Can'tTurnLeft
12-14-2011, 12:41 PM
I do love them....as cleaning rags.

For diapers I didn't like them at all:no And I wanted to cause they are CHEAP! I couldn't ever figure out how to keep them on a human person, and they leaked every single time there was pee. Oh and the poop. That was a nightmare :shiver They lasted less than a month.