PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on parenting programs/small group guides

sherry
12-12-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm not sure if I am posting in the right spot, but I need some suggestions on small group programs for parenting that are faith-based but that wold be appropriate for a group of non-church parents. Here's the situation, we started a community drop in one morning a week at our church this fall. We anticipated maybe four or five moms/dads, couple cups of coffee and some discussion. So ten weeks later - about 15 moms, 20 kids each week (more in total - cold and flu season is hitting hard).:shrug3 We need to start to structure our unstructured drop in group. The children's worker who is running it asked for suggestions on programs so we could offer a structured group format for anyone interested. The children's worker is interested in Grace Based Parenting and I loved the Grace Based approach -but a lot of the parents have little to no church experience and so we are struggling with providing biblical-based supports that are user friendly to newcomers. Given the situation, lots of moms with busy preschoolers, we are toying with doing up a web page with topics for the next weeks discussion etc as well as information on parenting resources. Does anyone have any suggestions? This would be a great introduction to faith for many families and meet some real needs for parenting support and I really this program to keep working. Gratefully accepting any suggestions...

Happygrl
12-12-2011, 11:55 AM
I have loved the books by Turansky & Miller/National Center for Biblical Parenting.

http://biblicalparenting.org/

Say Goobye to Whining....is one of my favorite parenting books. Gentle but provides lots of tools.

If you're looking for something more inspirational, I'd look at Sally Clarkson's books.

sherry
12-12-2011, 01:12 PM
the Biblical parenting series looks great - thank you thank you!!!!