PDA

View Full Version : should I feel bad about thinking....

Sonata
12-09-2011, 05:50 PM
.... thank God our son ended up with us?

I feel like in a house with unclear boundaries he would be a holy terror, and in a punitive household he would merit punishment constantly. A yeller would alternately terrify him and encourage his yelling. An uncertain parent would think she was going absolutely crazy. A mild personality would be worn to a crisp by his stubborn-ness. A quick-acting person might never see the indirect way that he learns. And in most households I know, he would have spent the last two months in time-out.

Part of me feels like this is being dismissive of other parenting styles........ maybe someone else would have come up with a different, successful treatment?

NovelMama
12-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I think this way all the time about our girls, especially PJ. I don't think it's bad to think that way. And I don't think it's dismissive of other parenting methods--I just don't think those other parenting methods are very good. :shrug

MercyInDisguise
12-09-2011, 06:06 PM
I don't think this is necessarily dismissive of other parenting styles. It is likely someone else could have found a gentle way to deal with him too, but God made YOU his mama for a reason and good and right to be grateful for that. :heart

trish101
12-15-2011, 12:41 PM
I feel the same way. DD would have been a mess in most households, and God has changed me completely by making me her mom. I would have been a horrible mother if I'd had an "easy" child who let me do CIO and didn't require attachment and gentle parenting. God knows what he's doing :-)

Milonna
12-15-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm so glad to have come across this, I often think this about my DS - I don't think you should feel bad for thinking it. :hug2

FlyingBlueKiwi
12-15-2011, 07:16 PM
God made YOU his mama for a reason and good and right to be grateful for that. :heart

While I feel in many cases, including that of my ds, that God put him with us for a reason, I simultaneously have a problem with that general theory...because what does that say about God's placement of children who are born to or adopted by abusive parents? :shrug3

WildFlower
12-15-2011, 09:33 PM
I really do believe God gives us the children we have for a reason. My DD is sensitive, bright, determined, reserved, very attached and I KNOW that God has helped me grow being her parent. But I think alot of times, that if she was in another family it would not have been good. I think God knows what he's doing and works in us and through us if we let him.

Sonata
12-17-2011, 04:38 PM
While I feel in many cases, including that of my ds, that God put him with us for a reason, I simultaneously have a problem with that general theory...because what does that say about God's placement of children who are born to or adopted by abusive parents? :shrug3

I agree; I think about that all the time.